6 speed wont go into reverse

squigmang

Hey guys,
Ive been having an issue with getting into reverse the past week or so. It only happens in the morning, after the jeep has been sitting all night. It will go into every gear but reverse. This morning it took me about 3 mins to finally get it to engage. Once I drive it for a bit, it will work perfectly.
Any ideas? It is a 2010 JKUR with 60,000 kms
thanks in advance

BlackKnight

Hey guys,
Ive been having an issue with getting into reverse the past week or so. It only happens in the morning, after the jeep has been sitting all night. It will go into every gear but reverse. This morning it took me about 3 mins to finally get it to engage. Once I drive it for a bit, it will work perfectly.
Any ideas? It is a 2010 JKUR with 60,000 kms
thanks in advance

Have you changed out the transmission oil? maybe is getting a little dirty and is taking a bit to push the dirty fluid through the valving. But I'm no expert...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Have you changed out the transmission oil? maybe is getting a little dirty and is taking a bit to push the dirty fluid through the valving. But I'm no expert...

i think you maybe right. dirty/old tranny oil could be the issue. same type of thing happened in my brothers car where he couldnt shift the auto tranny into gear. found out that he just needs a tranny flush and it works flawlessly again

Bacon

Valving in a six speed? Not saying dirty fluid isn't the problem, but I don't believe fluid through valves should be an issue for the manual. But I can honestly say I have never had one apart and who knows what Chrysler is up to these days...

How does the clutch feel? Any throw-out bearing noise? It seems the clutch barely moves enough to get the synchros lined up to begin with. Even the slightest leak or throw-out bearing issue could be making this worse.

madgunnermaurer

My 2013 is a pain sometimes to get in reverse. I have to double clutch it just to get it in sometimes.
(can't find'em grind'em) I really getting tired of it.:icon_crazy:

squigmang

How does the clutch feel? Any throw-out bearing noise? It seems the clutch barely moves enough to get the synchros lined up to begin with. Even the slightest leak or throw-out bearing issue could be making this worse.

I was wondering about this. At idle in neutral I hear a bit of a rattle/ticking, then when I depress the clutch the noise stops.

I was wondering about this. At idle in neutral I hear a bit of a rattle/ticking, then when I depress the clutch the noise stops.

If this is a new thing I would keep heading down this path. My bearing has made noise from the beginning. I've thought about taking it back to the dealer as we are still under warranty, but the thought of them messing with my Jeep is worst than the work of replacing it myself. In cold weather it is not uncommon for me to have to double-clutch to go into reverse. But it's always been this way. (This is where my comments earlier came from.)

squigmang

If this is a new thing I would keep heading down this path. My bearing has made noise from the beginning. I've thought about taking it back to the dealer as we are still under warranty, but the thought of them messing with my Jeep is worst than the work of replacing it myself. In cold weather it is not uncommon for me to have to double-clutch to go into reverse. But it's always been this way. (This is where my comments earlier came from.)

it also rattles as i pull away in 1st alot of the time?

gtony12

Caught the Bug

X2 here! :yup:

Mine started rattling just like that shortly after bringing it home. In the first year, the stealership has now torn the transmission apart twice to replace the throw out bearings(x2), input shaft bearings(x2), the shifter, the shift forks - all under warranty. It still shifts rough and I suspect they'll be working on it again in the future.

On top of that, they've also had to replace the water pump and just recently the front inner axle seals. I think my Jeep has spent more time in the shop than on the trail.

Thank God for warranties.

squigmang

UPDATE:

Just realized today, when the jeep is off, it will go into each gear very easy. When I turn it on, it is much, much harder to get in gear.
Thoughts?

Sortof a dry sound, but if it's a throwout bearing it won't be heard as much, if at all, unless you have the clutch depressed rather than released, opposite of what was stated a few posts back.

I'm sorry but this is wrong. Many times a bad bearing will quiet when the load is applied by depressing the clutch. Most throwout bearings will squeak our rattle when no load is applied or foot is of the clutch. Others will give no warning and just fail. Rarely will a bearing make noise when the petal is pressed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm sorry but this is wrong. Many times a bad bearing will quiet when the load is applied by depressing the clutch. Most throwout bearings will squeak our rattle when no load is applied or foot is of the clutch. Others will give no warning and just fail. Rarely will a bearing make noise when the petal is pressed.

No, not entirely wrong. I have one sitting in my driveway right now that has a throwout bearing going out. It sounds just fine until I even touch the clutch petal. Dry bearing sound at startup until I release clutch, sometimes coupled with a slight squeal.

I would say you have one that falls in the rare category. Between be wife and I, we have diagnosed/replaced about a dozen clutch and or throwout bearings and we can't remember one ever making noise depressed and not released..... But I've learned to never say never so anything is possible.

Top Bottom