Axle C Gusset question

Hi guys,

I've got the axle C Gussets prepared to be welded on the front axle of my JK but my welder who is also a mechanic told me that I should buy 2 axle shaft seals because the High temperature required to weld on Forged Steel will damage them.

Could you guys who have done the welding or had it done for you confirm if this is necessary?

Also I know that in the write up the welder put some wet rags on the Ball joints to protect them from the heat but is it really sufficient as we are talking here extremely High temperatures.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If it's hot enough to burn the seals it probably bent your axle. So no you don't need new seals. The seals are at your differential you are welding at the knuckle. You need to weld in small sections and cool with a wet rag in between.

Easiest thing to do is do a small section on the driver side, cool it down with a rag, go to the passenger side and do the same then repeat until you're done.

2013CGJKU

If it's hot enough to burn the seals it probably bent your axle. So no you don't need new seals. The seals are at your differential you are welding at the knuckle. You need to weld in small sections and cool with a wet rag in between.

Easiest thing to do is do a small section on the driver side, cool it down with a rag, go to the passenger side and do the same then repeat until you're done.

^This.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Rebel JK

I used wet rags on mine and used a mister bottle once in a while on the bj's and had no issues. Like Overlander said back and forth. Took me a few hours.

72blubyu

I was always told never use a wet rag on a mig weld it will make the weld brittle. You would be better off with welding in sections and switching between sides. You could wrap the ball joints with a wet rag.

JKFlyer

More likely heat will damage ball joints than seals

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
More likely heat will damage ball joints than seals

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

x2 - I had mine welded on and even though they covered the ball joints with wet rags, they sill got affected, part of it could also have been the age/mileage of the joints.

I already had some Moog replacements just in case...

Top Bottom