Paint question

brooklyn4x4

So I'm looking for some advice from some one who is good with paint or body work or something along those lines who could help me out

Here's what I did, after my last wheeling trip I had some scratches along the side of my jeep from tree branches so I decided to uses some rubbing compound on it. The scratches are gone but now I have some big spots where the paint is dull I'm guessing I messed up the clear coat because the paint looks fine its just not shinny any more.

I'm wondering if waxing it would help or if there is anyway I could fix the clear or should I just take it to a professional (I obviously am not) and have them fix it

When I washed my jeep after using the compound and the jeep was wet it looked good I couldn't tell anything was wrong, it wasn't until after it dried that I noticed the dull stops

Thanks in advance for any advice

jeff_in_rc

OK so you used rubbing compound to get rid of the scratches, good but now you need to follow up with some polishing compound, then wax it and you should be good to go.

CZEBJKU

Yup x2 what Jeff said. Take your time and don't use alot of pressure.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Or in the future just don't worry about the scratches as they are memories of where you have been and motivation as to where you might go...:D

JayKay

Caught the Bug
OK so you used rubbing compound to get rid of the scratches, good but now you need to follow up with some polishing compound, then wax it and you should be good to go.

This^^ plus you may need to use a buffer or electric polisher. What the rubbing/buffing compound does when using a power buffer is heat the clear coat and cause the scratches to "melt" away. Using a buffer/polisher will help give you a better finish.

brooklyn4x4

Or in the future just don't worry about the scratches as they are memories of where you have been and motivation as to where you might go...:D

Your right the scratches didn't bother me that much but I was just hanging around the house board and decided to try and fix them and I just made things worse

JKFlyer

Go to a detailer. I did this on my wife's car..at least not my jeep! Buff wax polish with the wheel should fix it

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Your right the scratches didn't bother me that much but I was just hanging around the house board and decided to try and fix them and I just made things worse

Yeah I know how that is. I tend to do the same thing when I'm bored. What seems like a simple project or fix turns into an expensive "What was I thinking!"...haha

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Unfortunately if you burnt through the clear you cant re clear. You have to base then clear. What type of rubbing compound did you use? As in grit? In the future always start with a fine compound or even try a cleaner wax depending on scatches.

brooklyn4x4

Go to a detailer. I did this on my wife's car..at least not my jeep! Buff wax polish with the wheel should fix it

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yea that's probably what I'm going to try and do before I make it any worse lol

brooklyn4x4

Unfortunately if you burnt through the clear you cant re clear. You have to base then clear. What type of rubbing compound did you use? As in grit? In the future always start with a fine compound or even try a cleaner wax depending on scatches.

I used a heavy girt compound first and that's where I messed up so I got a lighter one and made it better then it was
I'm gonna find out exactly what I used when I get home and if the weather by me clears up a little I'll take a picture of where I messed up and see what u think I'm hoping it can just be buffed out

Thanks for everyone's input :thumbup:

jeeeep

Hooked
get some polishing compound, some wax and try it on a small area, with some elbow grease you should be able to tell if you went below the clear coat if the color comes off on the buffing cloth.

If it does, skip the dealer and take it to a paint shop - they'll need to repaint that area cheaper than the dealer

brooklyn4x4

I stopped by a friend of a friends auto body shop on the way home he said he could wet sand and polish the two sides and the hood for 150 and it would look like nothing happened do you guys think that's a good price

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I stopped by a friend of a friends auto body shop on the way home he said he could wet sand and polish the two sides and the hood for 150 and it would look like nothing happened do you guys think that's a good price

Purty cheep. It would be done then. Unless you want to mess with it. Just watch and learn from it for next time.

jeeeep

Hooked

that's a great price, let a pro take care of it! :beer:

crzyamerican

Thats sounds like a good price! When I was at Lake Havasu Last year I had borrowed my mother in-laws Cherokee to run and visit my parents. Long story short I got some scratches on it when i had to go off road. The last thing I was going to do was bring back a borrowed vehicle in worse shape then when I left with it (especially to my mother in-law):doh: I had to beg a local car detail shop to squeeze it in. The manager was kind enough to squeeze it in and did the work himself. He buffed both sides and a few areas needed wet sanding. It cost me over $400 with tip.

My in-laws were happy with it. They said it looked better then before as they had removed a few scratches they had put on it themselves.

Top Bottom