Pentastar 3.6 vs 3.8

breizheau

Hi there.
Sorry if there is already a post about this question...

Here in France, we can start to buy second hand Pentastar JK.

Could you tell me what are the main differences between both engine ?

Is it better to buy the 3.6 or the 3.8 is a good choice ?

Thanks for your advices

Olivier

Ps : sorry for the mistakes in english....

jkjurny

Definitely get the Pentastar. It has almost 80 more HP. It makes a big difference in the Jeep's performance.

dglangan

It's like comparing a 4 cylinder to a V8

Ehhh I wouldn't go that far. It's more like comparing an underpowered v6 to an adequately powered v6. I've owned both and the 3.6 is the clear winner, but not only because of the engine, but because of the new automatic trans mine paired up to. If you have the 4 speed auto in your 3.8 make sure to get the 5 speed auto for the 3.6 swap.

GuillaumeC91

+1 on the 3.6L and the 5 speed tranny. I've never driven a 3.8L but I find it weird when people talk about Jeeps' performance. I'm not running big tires (OK fine the smallest tires available), but I honestly find my Jeep pretty peppy. I've easily beat Rams with HEMI 5.7, and even a Supercharged Range Rover off the line a few times. Keep in mind I have a very light 2 door with minimal mods, and 3.73 gears but still.

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

David1tontj

+1 on the 3.6L and the 5 speed tranny. I've never driven a 3.8L but I find it weird when people talk about Jeeps' performance. I'm not running big tires (OK fine the smallest tires available), but I honestly find my Jeep pretty peppy. I've easily beat Rams with HEMI 5.7, and even a Supercharged Range Rover off the line a few times. Keep in mind I have a very light 2 door with minimal mods, and 3.73 gears but still.

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

Was the ram pulling a trailer??? Haha. Jk

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Panda

Was the ram pulling a trailer??? Haha. Jk

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

It's true! I've done it too, with the stock tires on a 2dr it hauls butt, the 3.6 has 285 hp, I traded in a hemi dodge truck for my jeep, the jeep is every bit as fast :yup:

David1tontj

It's true! I've done it too, with the stock tires on a 2dr it hauls butt, the 3.6 has 285 hp, I traded in a hemi dodge truck for my jeep, the jeep is every bit as fast :yup:

Yeah, I know it's fast... My wife has the pentastar in her 2014 caravan. Hauls ass- especially with the 6 speed auto.

JK12

Even with my 3.8 stock 4:10 gears and 35"s it still beats a 5.7l hemi. Glad I'm not the only one ha

David1tontj

Even with my 3.8 stock 4:10 gears and 35"s it still beats a 5.7l hemi. Glad I'm not the only one ha

That's nothing! My 4.0 beats school busses, log trucks, dump trucks, tractors, AND bicycles!!

Panda

Yeah, I know it's fast... My wife has the pentastar in her 2014 caravan. Hauls ass- especially with the 6 speed auto.

To bad you couldn't swap that bad boy into the TJ while she's not lookin :brows:

StrizzyChris

If you do go with a 3.6L I would suggest getting a used 2014. The 2012's and early 2013's have TONS of well documented head issues and I would avoid them like the plague! Late 2013's and 2014's dont have the issues(yet at least) that the early 3.6's have. :twocents:

noroad

If you do go with a 3.6L I would suggest getting a used 2014. The 2012's and early 2013's have TONS of well documented head issues and I would avoid them like the plague! Late 2013's and 2014's dont have the issues(yet at least) that the early 3.6's have. :twocents:

I dont no if i would agree with that fully! There are problems but i would not say a ton of them. They also are a quick fix as the dealers know about it. So if a deal on a 12+ came i would not pass it up on the chance of a small header problem! From 8 to 45000 miles on my 2012!

StrizzyChris

I dont no if i would agree with that fully!

You know what they say about opinions ;)

There are problems but i would not say a ton of them. They also are a quick fix as the dealers know about it. So if a deal on a 12+ came i would not pass it up on the chance of a small header problem! From 8 to 45000 miles on my 2012!

mine needed replaced with less than a grand on her. MANY others on here that have had issues as well. Not to say that EVERY 2012-2013 3.6 will have an issue...but that it is very well known and documented issue. You can play roulette if you wish, but I wouldn't if I knew what I know now. The small header problem can be a huge header expense/problem if his goes out after warranty.

The 3.8 is a turd but its a reliable turd with some known issues of oil consumption. The late 2013+ 3.6's have had less issues noted.

OP can take from all that what you wish, it's your money and decision.

36Fan

You know what they say about opinions ;)

mine needed replaced with less than a grand on her. MANY others on here that have had issues as well. Not to say that EVERY 2012-2013 3.6 will have an issue...but that it is very well known and documented issue. You can play roulette if you wish, but I wouldn't if I knew what I know now. The small header problem can be a huge header expense/problem if his goes out after warranty.

The 3.8 is a turd but its a reliable turd with some known issues of oil consumption. The late 2013+ 3.6's have had less issues noted.

OP can take from all that what you wish, it's your money and decision.

Header problem?

Yes yes sorry for the ER it would be a cylinder head problem!! And yes i also read your opinion! My 2 cents was just dont pass up a deal on the chance of a problem!

Having gone through the head replacement drama. I would totally "pass up a deal".

Not worth it at all. It's a PIA and not to mention piece of mind.

Top Bottom