Flex?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Ok, my question is how much up-travel should your rig have vs your down-travel? Do you increase your roll over risk by limiting it because you then force your front end up sooner? I’m planning for 37s but I want to keep the full flares (I prefer the look) and at the same time limiting my lift so that they fit and keep COG as low as I can get. SDG’s rig (http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?15858-New-ride) is pretty much where I’m looking to end up.

The whole point to a LCGA build is to keep the rig as stable as possible on uneven terrain. These builds usually sacrifice up-travel for down-travel as a part of the mission. Eddie has commented that he runs Moby's coils at about 4" of lift. This isn't very much at all for the 40s he's sporting. This said, he also has some wicked down-travel.

To me travel is travel... It doesn't matter if you get it by stuff or droop. But a lower COG rig will hands-down give you less pucker-factor when you are looking at the sky or in a steep off-camber.

Just my OP....

jkjurny

Down travel is just as important since the lower it goes the more likely it'll touch ground to stabilize your rig.

Jeeper Jr.

I thought the idea was down travel is good for crawling and low speed stuff. This way you keep all four on the floor for traction and stability. Up travel is important for absorbing high speed bumps and jumps, hence the massive travel in trophy trucks. Is this true?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I thought the idea was down travel is good for crawling and low speed stuff. This way you keep all four on the floor for traction and stability. Up travel is important for absorbing high speed bumps and jumps, hence the massive travel in trophy trucks. Is this true?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Trophy trucks have 20+ inches of down travel. Not 20+ inches of up travel.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Thanks for the replies. I will keep this in mind when I do my suspension and tire set up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jeeper Jr.

Trophy trucks have 20+ inches of down travel. Not 20+ inches of up travel.

I understand what you mean but trophy trucks have a large amount of up travel i think. Hear me out...

Let's say you're BJ Baldwin and have 34" of rear travel, 24" of which is down travel (Guesstimating). That's 10" of up travel. It amounts to less than a third of his total travel but that is still a huge amount of up travel. Even if in reality it was only 8" or so, that's still a fair amount of up travel and more than any rock crawler would ever need.

I'm just thinking up travel is still needed at high speed so you don't bottom out after a huge jump or bump (the suspension needs room to compress). At low speed, this isn't an issue so you only care about down travel.

Top Bottom