Fox vs King Shocks

noroad

I have fox 2.0 shocks and love them but also hear that king shocks are amazing!
d4-5.jpg

I want to move to king coilover soon, but just installed fox coilover on a friends TJ he likes them!

dc2.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have never run either shock but I have hear good thing about one and amazing things about the other. The latter is the kings. If you get a set of kings, get them from EVO because they did tons of rnd with king to specifically tune/valve them for the jk.

For the fox shocks I have heard more good than bad things. Some say they are stiff others say they are soft. But as we all know ride is subjective and it matters what coils your running as well as some are stiffer than others

Sent from my iPhone

jkjurny

I have Fox 2.0 Reservoirs with Teraflex coils. A little stiff, slightly stiffer than my wife's BMW sports suspension. They are really great offroad though no complaints. Soaks up a lot. Enough that I hit 50mph on a pretty rough trail leaving a Tacoma behind because his truck couldn't soak up the rumble. I could've gone faster, but I limited myself once I realized how fast I was going.

CRAZYCASEY

I have not run the kings but I have run the fox and the Elka shocks and hands down the Elka shocks are far superior to the fox. Build quality is obviously better on the Elkas and I'm sure you would see the same in the kings. I would not spend money on fox shocks again, I would pay a little more money and get elka or king shocks.

pastorwug

I have the King 2.5 Res shocks all the way around and 1 word describes the ride - luxurious

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

trailless

Caught the Bug
I have the King 2.5 Res shocks all the way around and 1 words describes the ride - luxurious

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I was all set on some coilovers and now you say this... I guess its back to the drawing board. :p

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
I was all set on some coilovers and now you say this... I guess its back to the drawing board. :p

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just gotta look at the bigger picture and what your budget/expectations are for your Jeep. This was the hardest part for me and I was constantly looking at budget boost, cheap spring lift, Enforcer, and COs depending on various factors. I finally pulled the trigger on the Enforcer with Kings 2.5s as its a great set up. The only compromise is maybe a bit of speed lost to COs. But that's OK, the Enforcer with 37s will more than allow me to do anything I'm comfortable with as a driver.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I have not run the kings but I have run the fox and the Elka shocks and hands down the Elka shocks are far superior to the fox. Build quality is obviously better on the Elkas and I'm sure you would see the same in the kings. I would not spend money on fox shocks again, I would pay a little more money and get elka or king shocks.

Fox makes some serious shocks, but they also make entry level stuff. If you compare apples to apples fox makes just as good shocks as king

suicideking

Very happy with my fox 2.0 res shocks. Had Bilstein 5100's before and thought the we're harsh. The Fox are just right.

CRAZYCASEY

piginajeep said:
Fox makes some serious shocks, but they also make entry level stuff. If you compare apples to apples fox makes just as good shocks as king

I'm sure they do make some great shocks but for close to $800 for a set of 4 I would expect some higher quality components. I paid $1000 for my Elkas and never had a single issue in 18 months. In 9 months I've been running the fox shocks I have replaced two of them. I am no expert but it is my opinion that the fox 2.0 resi shocks are made without the quality that can be found for just a few more $$$$ from other manufactures.
Again I am no expert, my rig is not a dd and I am no longer running the fox shocks because I was so unhappy with them over my Elka's. What Fox shocks would you recommend for the JK that would be more comparable quality wise to the Elka or king shocks?

Skirmish

Shocks are a very subjective component and rely on a lot of other factors so it is hard to compare without knowing exactly what you are looking for. I've run Fox for years without a problem, never run Kings but I know a lot of guys that love them. Usually the guys with Kings have external resi or coilovers so they are paying top dollar and they had better be good.

I've known people that blame their shocks or praise them when they should be thanking their coils. Most of the time a soft or stiff ride is in the springs. Weight and driving style make a huge difference too. Coilovers or external resi shocks are a waste of money if you aren't going fast in rough terrain. Some guys want a comfy highway ride, some want to be in control on a dirt road.

Really it is tough to decide as a lot of people will swear by what they bought because they want to think they made the right choice but it's more pride than knowledge. Having a shop getting a specific tune for your vehicle is a great start but getting them set specifically for your needs is more important. Really, if your coils are too stiff or soft for your needs you might as well run stock with extensions cause your ride will suck anyway.

JT Bone

Daily driver on Fox 2.0 coilovers. EVO bolt on kit. Short arm kit. Plush ride. RTIs around 900 on 37" MTRs.. Very happy with set up. Kings are good shocks. King had serious customer service issues for a while. Fox has always had what I needed for my buggies and did quick turn arounds for me. Spring rates front are 250 over 300. Rear rates are 250 over 300 with about an inch of preload front and rear. Fronts are 12" and rears are 10". Valving is 30 over 40. AEV rear bumper and tire carrier, 10 gallons of gas, 5 gallons of water, highlift and pull pal with monster tool box in rear so I had to put the 300 pound springs on.

JKFlyer

Daily driver on Fox 2.0 coilovers. EVO bolt on kit. Short arm kit. Plush ride. RTIs around 900 on 37" MTRs.. Very happy with set up. Kings are good shocks. King had serious customer service issues for a while. Fox has always had what I needed for my buggies and did quick turn arounds for me. Spring rates front are 250 over 300. Rear rates are 250 over 300 with about an inch of preload front and rear. Fronts are 12" and rears are 10". Valving is 30 over 40. AEV rear bumper and tire carrier, 10 gallons of gas, 5 gallons of water, highlift and pull pal with monster tool box in rear so I had to put the 300 pound springs on.

Now that's a serious setup :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Moseley2011

Now that Rubicat has double throw downs..anyone have any idea how many inches over stock he is sitting?

moseley2011

Top Bottom