Issues Running a 4.5" Lift

Bdent

I own a 14 unlimited and I want to run a 4.5" BDS lift and run 37's. I know it can easily be done but what else would I need if I were to put the 4.5" lift on. I know ill need gears and front and rear drive shafts. I don't plan on off-roading it a ton but I will every once and awhile. I was told if I go that big I will run into issues down the road, like ball joints failing and so on.

jeeeep

Hooked
I own a 14 unlimited and I want to run a 4.5" BDS lift and run 37's. I know it can easily be done but what else would I need if I were to put the 4.5" lift on. I know ill need gears and front and rear drive shafts. I don't plan on off-roading it a ton but I will every once and awhile. I was told if I go that big I will run into issues down the road, like ball joints failing and so on.

regear, gussets, procal or similar to flash the speedo and transmission shift points if you have an auto,

noroad

I have a 4.5 long arm and have had nothing but basic problems, which has been small, just ball joints and some other small things i cant think of!

StrizzyChris

If you are going that big and spending all the money to do this the right way...ball joints will be nothing. When not if they blow, go with something like a prosteer joint. They will cost you more, but not require you to constantly replace them every 30K miles like OEM when running low BS wheels and big tires.

Make sure that you get all 8 adjustable control arms if you plan to lift your jeep that high. If you stay below 4" you could get away with just front lowers. If you go with tht high of a lift, then Long Arms would really help with your on street handling at higher speeds like maneuvering on the highway. Also you will want you kit to have a flipped drag link and a raised trackbar bracket to help with your steering/handling.

There's a ton of things like I mentioned that you could do to make you vehicle feel better or more like stock when going that high on your lift, but they are not immediate musts....your jeep will just handle like shit until you do.

Also going the high you will need to replace drive shafts especially the front due to the exhaust pipe cross over. Rancho has an after market cross pipe you can get just not sure of the part number.

Additionally it is not required but something to look at in the future is a hydraulic steering assist like PSC especially pushing 37's.

If you go with a long arm look for a beefier after market crossmember. I believe it was mentioned in the EVO Double D write up. The stock crossmember is decent but recommended to upgrade.

R/
Will

Last edited:
Top Bottom