so whats the deal with ball joints?

MrHooah04

After 82k/mi my OEM ball joints have finally met their maker. Fortunately they lasted pretty long, so I can't complain.

However, over the past two days I have been researching replacements. One common theme seems to be standing out, no matter what brand I'm researching. Are ball joints always, "Hit or Miss?" :idontknow: It seems that there is such a split from good/bad experiences or break-in periods, etc. From Synergy, Poly Performance, Alloy USA, I have read many ecstatic customers and very upset ones as well.

My bottom line:
I simply need a quality replacement that will last. What does everyone suggest?

I appreciate all the help. Thanks. :beer::beer:

suicideking

I have the Synergy, have had them less than a year. Heard good things about them.

The Dynatrac are known for being the best, but also the most expensive.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Get Crown if you are on a budget, Dynatrac if you never want to have to worry about them again.

jeeeep

Hooked
lol this is going to make it more confusing as everyone has a different need and budget.

I went with MOOG - they have lifetime warranty, are greaseable but they also make some for alignment issues so make sure you get the proper set.

balls joints don't have a break-in period if installed properly.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Synergy/poly are made in India. Alloy USA are made by the same company that owns rugged ridge and made in Taiwan.
Not sure where crown are made but would be my second choice. First choice would be the dynatrac prosteers.

MrHooah04

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Dynatrac is definitely out of my budget range for now lol.

Sooo...synergy it is I suppose?

Any final rebuttals lol?

07sgt0720

I have the dynatracs. Love then but had to do some grinding on the factory axle shafts in order for them to work. I called Northridge since that is who I bought then through and they said they had seen that happen before but not very common.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

olram30

I have the dynatracs. Love then but had to do some grinding on the factory axle shafts in order for them to work. I called Northridge since that is who I bought then through and they said they had seen that happen before but not very common.

Was this the older ones? I think they made a new shorter bottom one. Also the newer jeeps 13 and up have thicker shafts at the u joint.

07sgt0720

Yeah mines a 2013. They should be the newer ones as I just got then like 2 months ago.

olram30

Yeah I believe so. They look thicker in comparison to my 2008.

Yeah, same here, my 12 has smaller shafts than my 14 around the u joint. Not sure the exact measurement, I assume aftermarket shafts you shouldn't have this issue.

07sgt0720

Yeah, same here, my 12 has smaller shafts than my 14 around the u joint. Not sure the exact measurement, I assume aftermarket shafts you shouldn't have this issue.
I belive you are correct. The only shafts that I'm unsure about are the RCVs?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Go with the crown hd ball joints. You get both sides for less than $100. They are also greaseable. They are what I have.

Sent from my iPhone

MrHooah04

Go with the crown hd ball joints. You get both sides for less than $100. They are also greaseable. They are what I have.

Sent from my iPhone

Crown has received a few responses...looks like I ll go with those for now...cheap, but not OEM. If they don't last...only $100 down the drain.

Thanks all! :clap2:

Kneece

I've noticed that the top of my tires are slightly tilted in and I know there is no adjustment to bring it back out. Do y'all think the ball joints are shot? I had it aligned last week and the tech said he didn't see anything bent.

Sent by Pony Express

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Just as a note for anyone installing the older style Dynatrac Ball joints, they are badass! I did buy a pair and install them on my 2012. The thicker yoke stub has a specific casting number and is on the 2012s also.

Thankfully Dynatrac has released a revision so there is no interference cause Dynatrac rocks like that, BUT should anyone run into an issue where a supplier hasn't sold you the latest product here is a helpful thread.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=10709

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

txjeeplover

First, I read the title of this thread with my Jerry Seinfeld voice. :)

Second, since my factory joints went out at 100K miles, I have installed Alloy ball joints, Moog, and now Advance Auto Parts cheapest greaseable pair after discovering during a teardown that the Moogs had failed too. The Alloy lasted 1,800 very unsafe miles. The Moog joints were a huge improvement over the Alloy. I believe that I damaged an upper Moog joint during a very difficult offroad recovery. After my ball joint experiences, I have decided to save up and purchase a set of Dynatrac ball joints. The Dynatracs aren't indestructible, but they are more resilient than the factory joints and most other aftermarket joints. Plus after the initial installation, you never have to remove or re-install the ball joint body; just the core. That is alone, is worth the cost of the Dynatracs for me!

Top Bottom