Anyone had this issue?

Redwolf_747

I have a 2007 jk unlimited. And my steering wheel feel like it is coming loose? The steering is tight but I can wobble the steering wheel from side to side? I haven't been able to find any write ups or videos on how to tight this or removal process. I just figured out my cruise control doesn't work so I am assuming the dealership I bought it from probably tried to fix it and didn't tighten the steering wheel back up right. Any ideas?

JKFlyer

Loose or bad stick steering stabilizer? If lifted w bigger tires, u shld upgrade it anyway. Not too expensive

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Redwolf_747

It is just the steering wheel. I can wobble it from side to side like it is loose. The steering is tight and solid. I just need to know how to tighten the steering wheel itself. It isn't the steering. And it feels like it is getting looser like the bolts are vibrating loose.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
look under the hood at the steering shaft where it exits the firewall, there's a sleeve that fits into the firewall that may have slid out - you'll notice it.

If it's out, push it back through the firewall and you can use a hose clamp under it to keep it from sliding out again. if I had my Jeep here I'd take a pic :beer:

Redwolf_747

http://youtu.be/7jrL_JXFYVY

I've looked at the sleeve that is not it. Hate to do it but think its going to have to go to the dealer to fix. Pretty sure it's going to need the airbag removed and just be tightened. I'm just not confident enough to mess with the airbag.

Last edited:
Felt something similar to what you are describing in the wife's old CJ5 and it was the steering box due to running bigger tires.

Might start there or look at at the sector shaft and actual steering wheel linkage from the steering wheel to steering box. Might have a worn u-joint.

Interested to see what you find out.

R/
Will

HILLZ

just disconnect the battery first and wait for at least 30 mins then there should be a couple of bolds in each side of the column just behind the wheel, remove them and the airbag should just slide out, there will be one large single nut holding the wheel on. just check to see if its tight. other than that take it to a mechanic

Norice4me66

Mine also does the same thing. There is no play in the wheel its at the nut at the steering wheel. mine is not that bad so I not going to touch it untill its worse.

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom