Aftermarket sub in OE enclosure?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Anyone running an aftermarket sub in the OE enclosure? I used to be an audiophile and thought I outgrew it, but since buying my JK, the stereo wasn't up to par. Thanks to anviljk, I have an OE enclosure on the way, but don't think the Infinity sub is gonna deliver much bass. What are you running? I'd like to stick with Kicker since I have their 6.5" speakers in the stock locations.

Serg5000

ma7y8y8y.jpg
search sucks ass. But anyway. I purchased this but have yet to install it.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I'm gonna plug the infinity in and see how it sounds and make a decision from there. I already have the 77kick10's which were a huge upgrade from the stock 6.5"

Serg5000

Are you just planning on running an aftermarket amp or just wiring it to the factory speaker wires in the factory enclosure?

Not sure. I bought this a year ago and never got around to installing it. But as mentioned. I already have the kicker 6.5 that replaced the factory four. It was a huge improvement.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've got a Kenwood eXcelon 8", sounds great - but also running 5 channel amp and aftermarket head unit

suicideking

I have an aftermarket Kicker in an aftermarket enclosure.

If you measure the factory enclosure, you can get the cubic feet and then look at the specs for the subs you're considering. All reputable speaker companies will have a recommended enclosure size. If not, you could contact them and ask. Stereo shops should know this information, but will also want to sell you a new box.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I have an aftermarket Kicker in an aftermarket enclosure.

If you measure the factory enclosure, you can get the cubic feet and then look at the specs for the subs you're considering. All reputable speaker companies will have a recommended enclosure size. If not, you could contact them and ask. Stereo shops should know this information, but will also want to sell you a new box.

Is your aftermarket enclosure in the factory location? I'm really wanting to keep it there for the simple fact of cargo space.

suicideking

Is your aftermarket enclosure in the factory location? I'm really wanting to keep it there for the simple fact of cargo space.

Nope. I have a Sport, so no factory location. It's bungied to the rear seat bracket which works pretty well because I can move it or completely remove it if necessary.

*NOMAD*

There won't be enough airspace for that sub in the factory location, you will have to run it with another box

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JayKay

Caught the Bug
There won't be enough airspace for that sub in the factory location, you will have to run it with another box

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ended up with an 8" powerbass that my brother had in his boat. It's an open air sub

JayKay

Caught the Bug
how do you like the sound?

Haven't hooked it up yet, trying to figure out a where to mount the amp. I'm an idiot and had planned on mounting it under the dash where the OE amp is mounted, but I didn't measure close enough and the amp I bought us too big to fit in that location. Think I'm gonna fab a bracket to mount it under the passenger seat.

jeeeep

Hooked
Haven't hooked it up yet, trying to figure out a where to mount the amp. I'm an idiot and had planned on mounting it under the dash where the OE amp is mounted, but I didn't measure close enough and the amp I bought us too big to fit in that location. Think I'm gonna fab a bracket to mount it under the passenger seat.

do a search on ebay for jeep jk Under Seat Bracket - I bought one to mount my amp under the passenger seat after the installer quoted me a ridiculous amount to fab something up. it' made from aluminum and fits great under the seat.

Josh27

I had an 8" kicker cvr in the factory box. Had to make a 1/2 inch spacer out of wood to make it fit in the box. I also put dynamat on the inside of the box to stiffen up the plastic. Since the factory amp wasn't powerful enough I had an aftermarket amp hooked up to it. sounded pretty damn good but it still wasn't enough bass for me. now I have a 10" jl w1 in a down firing box I made.
8" kicker cvr
toolbox.jpg
10" jl w1 downfiring
finishedsubbox.jpg

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I had an 8" kicker cvr in the factory box. Had to make a 1/2 inch spacer out of wood to make it fit in the box. I also put dynamat on the inside of the box to stiffen up the plastic. Since the factory amp wasn't powerful enough I had an aftermarket amp hooked up to it. sounded pretty damn good but it still wasn't enough bass for me. now I have a 10" jl w1 in a down firing box I made.
8" kicker cvr
View attachment 88344
10" jl w1 downfiring
View attachment 88345

I used to be into "neighbor waking bass", but all I really want now is just enough for it to sound clean and clear when a good song comes on, so I can turn it up without distortion.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
do a search on ebay for jeep jk Under Seat Bracket - I bought one to mount my amp under the passenger seat after the installer quoted me a ridiculous amount to fab something up. it' made from aluminum and fits great under the seat.

Pics of this bracket?

Josh27

I used to be into "neighbor waking bass", but all I really want now is just enough for it to sound clean and clear when a good song comes on, so I can turn it up without distortion.

yeah, the high school days.... haha. Ive had a few different sets of 12s. I won't get anything more than one 10" anymore, its plenty for me (and its really not even that loud). The problem with the 8 in the factory box is that when the top was off, a lot of the bass was lost. With my down firing 10" some is lost but there is still a good amount of bass that can be heard.

Top Bottom