Abs comes on over bumps

Sugarbear

Hey posting this for a friend everytime he hits a bump like rail road tracks his hill decent, abs and traction control comes on any ideas

Speeddmn

Sounds new, I would start with checking all the ABS sensors on the brakes. If not that maybe a loose fuse (highly unlikley). Then just start looking at all wiring in the engine bay.

bman198

If his jeep is lifted and has bigger tires that could be a possibility. my dad is running 35's and it did it for him so he just turned off abs and traction control all together.

georgesadlik

We had the same issue on our JK and it turned out to be a bad unit bearing on the front hub. When the wheel moved / wobbled because of the bearing it would upset the ABS sensor setting it off.

Cheers
George

I've had a few MAJOR bumps kick the traction control on, but it isn't a regular happening. I think the better advice here is to look for something wrong over ignoring it.

As others have mentioned, ball joints, bearings, bolt tightness (especially on trac bars). If nothing turns up I would have the alignment checked professionally or at least do a tape measure check.

bman198

I've had a few MAJOR bumps kick the traction control on, but it isn't a regular happening. I think the better advice here is to look for something wrong over ignoring it.

As others have mentioned, ball joints, bearings, bolt tightness (especially on trac bars). If nothing turns up I would have the alignment checked professionally or at least do a tape measure check.

With my Dads jeep it didn't happen until it was lifted and re-geared with 35's. Does it have something to do with that?

Zstairlessone

With my Dads jeep it didn't happen until it was lifted and re-geared with 35's. Does it have something to do with that?

Maybe, when mine bounces over rocks or tracks while on the accelerator it happens. Don't know if one tire spins up a little or it thinks I'm going to roll over, but it sure wants to protect me from something.

JAGS

Hooked
In addition to alignment, may also want to check your PSI in the tires. My traction light was coming on and lowering my PSI seemed to have really helped. May not be the problem, but it's a quick check.

- Jason

Mabar

I have a 2011 2-door Rubicon and depending on how hard you hit a bump, yes, the traction control will kick in. If a tire leaves the ground, even for a split second, I think the traction control senses that very small difference in wheel speed and then kicks in.

I'm sure larger tires, and possibly worn suspension parts will make this happen a lot more often.

Mabar

BlackKnight

I've actually been driving in the highway and hit a bump and had cruise control kick itself off.

Sent from my Apple personal messaging system using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mabar

I've actually been driving in the highway and hit a bump and had cruise control kick itself off.

Sent from my Apple personal messaging system using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes, when the traction control kicks in, the cruise control automatically turns off.

Mabar

Serg5000

The Wheel Dance
The following procedure will disable (or re-enable) ESP
functionality in the vehicle:
1. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position.
2. Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the
wheels are pointed straight ahead.
3. Cycle the ignition key OFF to ON.
4. Wait approximately five seconds for the system bulb
check.
5. Turn and hold the steering wheel one-half turn to the
right (clockwise).
6. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.
7. Turn the steering wheel back to center, and turn and
hold an additional one-half turn to the left (counterclockwise)
8. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.
9. Turn the steering wheel back to center.
10. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.
11. Cycle the ignition key to OFF.
After performing the ESP disable procedure correctly,
“ESP OFF” will be displayed in the odometer for approximately
12 seconds each time the ignition is moved to ON.
Repeating the ESP disable procedure will re-enable normal
ESP operation.

Strainger

Caught the Bug
I believe I had the same symptoms awhile back. The dash would light up like a Christmas tree and the alert chime would sound off for a few seconds and then everything would go back to normal. Turned out to be loose battery connections at the + and - part of the battery due to vibrations from the constant driving on all types of surfaces. You might give that a check. I hope it is something that simple.

Top Bottom