Why is it so hard to find a Manual JKU?

hypractv

So I recently picked up a pretty clean 2007 JKU X as a 3rd vehichle. It's been well cared for and runs well. 2 weeks later I am finding that I have not even thought twice about driving my DD which now has me rethinking things. :gaah:

That said, I have a good deal set up to purge my DD and my '07 JKU X for a '14 JKU Rubicon. Anyway, I really like driving the manual JKU X. Is it just me or is it next to near impossible to find a '14 Manual JKU? Sport, Rubi, etc...

The dealer I am working with has 2 almost identical Rubis. 1 Auto w/ 4.10 upgrade (and other crap), 1 Manual. Decisions, decisions! Would be nice to not pay $1795 for a manual + 4.10s. I could repurpose that for my own upgrades.

... no I am not trying to start a Manual vs. Auto thread ...

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
It is closed, all new orders are 15s. If you get a manual rubicon 4.10s are standard, they are only optional on the auto rubi.

hypractv

It is closed, all new orders are 15s. If you get a manual rubicon 4.10s are standard, they are only optional on the auto rubi.

Yup. I find it a bit egregious that you have to add another $495 on top of $1300 to keep the 4.10s you would have already been spec'ed with.

Blah

TheStick

Pretty sure 2014 order window is closed.

Didn't think of that. That being said, are they offering enough of a discount on the '14s to not just get a '15?

Not sure I understand this....

"Would be nice to not pay $1795 for a manual + 4.10s."

???

CONative

Depends on where you are. Hard to find them in Phoenix, for example, but they are at every dealer around Denver. Check areas near you, perhaps you'll find one close.

utiadam

LOSER
I got my '13 JKUR in April of last year. It has a manual trans w/ 4.10, leather, and hardtop. It was in stock and was 39k out the door after some discounts.

I had to order my '13 because I wanted a manual. But hell, for my first brand new vehicle, it was kind of nice that the factory built it just for me :D

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Have your dealer search for one with the options you want. They may be able to do a dealer trade. That's what the dealer did for me, they found one in Virginia (I'm in MO), of course I got most of what I wanted. I did get a manual, max tow, dual top, and Uconnect. Black was my fourth color choice and what I had to end up with. Manual is the option that throws it off, if I would have settled for an auto, there were plenty on their lot that fit the bill. It's sad to say that a lot of Americans are lazy or don't know how to drive a manual. Hell, you can't even get most pickup trucks with a manual at all anymore. I remember stick shift Ford Aerostar an Caravans.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Have your dealer search for one with the options you want. They may be able to do a dealer trade. That's what the dealer did for me, they found one in Virginia (I'm in MO), of course I got most of what I wanted. I did get a manual, max tow, dual top, and Uconnect. Black was my fourth color choice and what I had to end up with. Manual is the option that throws it off, if I would have settled for an auto, there were plenty on their lot that fit the bill. It's sad to say that a lot of Americans are lazy or don't know how to drive a manual. Hell, you can't even get most pickup trucks with a manual at all anymore. I remember stick shift Ford Aerostar an Caravans.

^^^ This. I did the same thing (in Virginia HA) and the dealer was able to find a manual for me. How many dealers have you talked to?

KennyFrench

I bought my first Jeep - a brand new 1998 Sport - but had to sell it a couple years later after being laid off. I didn't buy another Jeep until last year - a brand new 2013 Sport. In '98, Wranglers came stock with manual transmissions; if you wanted an automatic, you had to special order it. Now, they come stock with automatic transmissions and if you want a stick, you have to special order it. The same for doors - in '98, soft-tops came stock with half doors; if you wanted full doors, you had to special order it and now that's reversed.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I bought my first Jeep - a brand new 1998 Sport - but had to sell it a couple years later after being laid off. I didn't buy another Jeep until last year - a brand new 2013 Sport. In '98, Wranglers came stock with manual transmissions; if you wanted an automatic, you had to special order it. Now, they come stock with automatic transmissions and if you want a stick, you have to special order it. The same for doors - in '98, soft-tops came stock with half doors; if you wanted full doors, you had to special order it and now that's reversed.

This is because of the mainstream consumer base. Most people buying new jeeps are not gonna wheel them throughout their ownership. Since the release of the 4 door JK, people are using them as daily driven family vehicles (me included). They want them to be as family friendly as possible and not the rugged, off road, purpose built vehicles they once were. Most Jeeps before the birth of the JK were owned by true Jeepers and people who knew what they were getting when they bought one. It's amazing how many soccer moms in my area have JKUs and complain when the roof leaks, the doors squeak, or it rides rough.

Sessoms14X

I had to special order my JKU. They dealership I bought from really tried to get me to buy one off their lot but I didn't want an auto either. I had to have a manual.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

KennyFrench

This is because of the mainstream consumer base. Most people buying new jeeps are not gonna wheel them throughout their ownership. Since the release of the 4 door JK, people are using them as daily driven family vehicles (me included). They want them to be as family friendly as possible and not the rugged, off road, purpose built vehicles they once were. Most Jeeps before the birth of the JK were owned by true Jeepers and people who knew what they were getting when they bought one. It's amazing how many soccer moms in my area have JKUs and complain when the roof leaks, the doors squeak, or it rides rough.

Yeah, I can't stand being behind some soccer mom in a Jeep - or any other SUV - who slows down for rough roads.

hypractv

It's amazing how many soccer moms in my area have JKUs and complain when the roof leaks, the doors squeak, or it rides rough.

Ha! Very true.

I have owned several TJs and JKs over the years and have some to expect those nuances. I own mine because nothing beats driving around topless and doorless. The kids think it's a roller coaster ride at times. I have taken my JKs to the beach in the past and they perform as expected. I have yet to truly go 'off roading' to an ORV Park but maybe at some point.

Guess that is why Jeep builds 3 main echelons of the JK.

Back to my original post, I ended up going with a '14 Auto JKUR. I went back and forth for days and after driving my manual than the auto w/ 4.10s I finally landed on what I wanted.

I am not a fan of paying the extra $495 for 4.10s when they used to come on the Rubicon standard but I guess you gotta pay to play.

Cheers

KCCO-JP

What does an auto have to do with wheeling it? It's funny how the cliques work. CJ7 owners didn't like the YJ drivers due to the square headlights, then the 4 door guys get nailed for not having a real jeep, then the Cherokee owners get nailed with not having a real Jeep. Then autos aren't built for wheeling. Cracks me up.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
What does an auto have to do with wheeling it? It's funny how the cliques work. CJ7 owners didn't like the YJ drivers due to the square headlights, then the 4 door guys get nailed for not having a real jeep, then the Cherokee owners get nailed with not having a real Jeep. Then autos aren't built for wheeling. Cracks me up.

Don't worry. Only 3 more years and owners of jks can start jumping on the "let's hate the new model because.... well its new!"

2014 JKUR

Top Bottom