Crazy leak...what do you think could've caused this?

JaySC

Red fluid all over the front of the Jeep and the underside. I have a trans cooler in the front but all the hoses and fittings seem intact. Any idea on what could have caused this pretty bad leak?

1403340444342.jpg 1403340460233.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Check you paper steering lines and your grans cooler lines. From the position of the puddle it looks like a power steering line.

R/
Will

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Red fluid all over the front of the Jeep and the underside. I have a trans cooler in the front but all the hoses and fittings seem intact. Any idea on what could have caused this pretty bad leak?

View attachment 88331 View attachment 88332

On the top of the steering gear there are two lines. They are secured with nuts. One or both are likely loose. I have to remove the coolant resevoir to get to them with an 18mm wrench. Clean everything up and check it again after a while. If it is still leaking but the nuts are tight, it is probably leaking through the O-ring seal on the inside.

Let us know how it turns out.

Serg5000

Why not just fire the jeep back up and make quick work of finding the leak. It's already a mess. That's what I would do. With all that fluid all over the engine compartment it's going to be hard to find unless it's totally obvious.

David1tontj

Is that hydro-assist I see in the pic? You overfilled the res and blew fluid out the blowhole in the cap.

X2. This last weekend on the rubicon this same thing happened to several of the guys when the fluid started to boil, it spewed right out the top of the cap because it was overfilled.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

JaySC

Thanks for the response guys. Preliminarily, the mechanic thinks the leak was caused by a bad trans cooler line...but he is gonna take a closer look.

Lots of fun driving with that leak spewing all over the windshield lol.

Top Bottom