Driveshaft repair?

suicideking

How repairable are aftermarket driveshafts? I have some rock damage to a JE Reel 1350 that's only a few months old. It's bent and dented a bit. Still drives well but with a slight vibration.

GCM 2

The damaged tubing center section would be cut out and then replaced with a new one would which is just grafted onto the ends (as long as the u-joints, tube yoke end and splined yoke end are undamaged), it then gets re-balanced and thats about it.

suicideking

The damaged tubing center section would be cut out and then replaced with a new one would which is just grafted onto the ends (as long as the u-joints, tube yoke end and splined yoke end are undamaged), it then gets re-balanced and thats about it.

So can any driveline shop do that or should it be sent to JE Reel?

ttfhell

Any good drive shaft place should be able to do it but Reel is pretty close. I have had both of mine re-tubed when at ORE.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Depending on the mileage on the shaft it might be worth it to just send it to Reel and have the shaft rebuilt. That'll save you from having to do it in the near future.

Serg5000

Speaking from experience here. If the drive shaft is damaged or needs repair. Send it in so it can be evaluated. I bought a used JE Reel shaft off a member here and was told by a couple member it would cost around $100 to get fixed. I paid around $125 for the shaft before repair. I sent it in and was told it was going to cost to repair as much as it would to just buy a new shaft. Never again will I buy a used shaft. I will only get burned once.

suicideking

Speaking from experience here. If the drive shaft is damaged or needs repair. Send it in so it can be evaluated. I bought a used JE Reel shaft off a member here and was told by a couple member it would cost around $100 to get fixed. I paid around $125 for the shaft before repair. I sent it in and was told it was going to cost to repair as much as it would to just buy a new shaft. Never again will I buy a used shaft. I will only get burned once.

Yeah, I've learned the hard way that DS' s and rocks don't get along so well. I've gone through 2 OEM shafts, and now a 1350. Maybe I should learn to drive lol.

Serg5000

Yeah, I've learned the hard way that DS' s and rocks don't get along so well. I've gone through 2 OEM shafts, and now a 1350. Maybe I should learn to drive lol.

Look at it this way. You are actually stimulate growth if our automotive industries economy.

Jerms

We always take ours to Fleetpride. I'm not sure if you have one of those around but they are driveline folks that can handle a new shaft (tube) with no problems. I'd say find you a local so you could save on shipping

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

suicideking

We always take ours to Fleetpride. I'm not sure if you have one of those around but they are driveline folks that can handle a new shaft (tube) with no problems. I'd say find you a local so you could save on shipping

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah, I might go that route and look for a local place. Probably a quicker turn around that way.

Top Bottom