08 JK Clock Spring!

Amstef

Been working on this issue since April!

The airbag light is on constantly now. It only goes off when the wheel is turned all way either direction, but once straight it comes back on in about 10 secs.

Talked to Moore Chrysler Jeep, at first one guy said that if they diagnose it as a clock spring, it won't cost me a thing. But if it isn't that it will cost me a $119 diagnose fee, and they will offer to fix it for of course a fee.

took it to a mechanis that I work next to, he plugged it in to his fault code machine, and it said that the airbag is not connected to the system, meaning the clock spring is bad.

Turned around set an appt back at Moore, shoed up on appt day and was told i will have to pay to get it done, ie no warranty extensions, or recalls. walked out.

Just got off of phone with Chrysler and got the same answer.

My question... I WONDER WHY THEY WON'T HELP, IT IS A SAFETY ISSUE RIGHT?

Airbag light on means no deployment incase of accident. HUH.

Waiting for Gary Harper, with 3 On Your Side, to call back.

If there is any info that you guys or gals have would help a lot. I am not about to pay, even if I get reimbursed, for something that Chrysler should honor and fix!!!

If I get into a wreck I guess me (if Im still here) and the family will be taken care of by Chrysler!!! HAHA

LoPo

Caught the Bug
You may want to consider going the route a local JK owner did here. She ended up calling Chrysler corporate on this since there is a recall for RHD models.

Here is what she said:

"UPDATE: So after shelling out the cash to replace the clockspring I got on the phone with Chrysler. I asked them to reimburse me for my repair as there is already a recall on the 2007's, on the RHD 2008's, there is a petition on line to force a recall on the LHD 08's, I didn't even have 34K on the Jeep.......

I got a check for full reimbursement in the mail today :)"

Amstef

Thank you for the info, will do my best without having to get reimbursed!

Does anyone have that SAFETY BOARD link to start a claim/report? Any help is appreciated!

Toneman

It is a Recall for the 2007 LHD? :thinking: My Local Dealership told me there was no such recall as I am having a similar issue. Currently the light has stayed off after a week of it being on. I will have to look more into it when it comes back on. :icon_crazy:

BONDSY

Well, today my airbag indicator warning light has been chiming, blinking on and off. 38,500 miles on the clock now. It's a 2009. I'll be taking it to the Jeep dealership where I bought it. When I turn the steering wheel back and forth I hear popping, clicking noises. I'll report back when I find something out.:mad:

dgriz

Well, today my airbag indicator warning light has been chiming, blinking on and off. 38,500 miles on the clock now. It's a 2009. I'll be taking it to the Jeep dealership where I bought it. When I turn the steering wheel back and forth I hear popping, clicking noises. I'll report back when I find something out.:mad:

My light just came on yesterday too. What ever happened with yours? Mine's an '09 also but with a little over 47k miles so my warranty is long gone. If this is something on the recall list, that would be great. Heck, no matter how I get it fixed, as long as it's free, that would be just as great.

That chime is going to drive me crazy in the meantime though...:gaah:

txjeeplover

Wow! This problem is far more widespread than I thought. There are far too many failed clockspring threads on the various JK forums for Chrysler to continue to ignore this problem or pick and choose which models they will fix.

I bought a new clockspring on ebay and installed it myself. The job was about 45 mins start to finish, doesn't require any programming, and I have peace of mind knowing that my airbag and horn will work when I need them. I saved my receipt for the part and I'm going to file a complaint with NHTSA so that hopefully Chrysler can be pursuaded to do the right thing.

BONDSY

I still haven't fixed mine yet. It would be nice if someone could do a write-up on a replacement fix. Better yet, Chrysler should recall it. To solve the chime, I just turn up the music!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Chrysler has extended the warranty on this but as mentioned, only for specific years. Being that it's a known issue and a safety related one, I would bet you could fight it and have it addressed regardless of when your Jeep was made but, it would take a lot of effort.

dgriz

File a Complaint

Chrysler has extended the warranty on this but as mentioned, only for specific years. Being that it's a known issue and a safety related one, I would bet you could fight it and have it addressed regardless of when your Jeep was made but, it would take a lot of effort.

I found the recall information here: http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners/

Here's what it says:
CHRYSLER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008-2012 RIGHT HAND DRIVE (RHD) JEEP WRANGLER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM FEBRUARY 1, 2007, THROUGH OCTOBER 10, 2011. SOME VEHICLES MAY BE EQUIPPED WITH DRIVER'S AIRBAG CLOCKSPRING ASSEMBLIES THAT COULD EXPERIENCE A COMPROMISED AIRBAG CIRCUIT RESULTING IN AN AIRBAG LAMP ILLUMINATION, WHICH INDICATES THAT THE AIRBAG MAY NOT DEPLOY.

CONSEQUENCE:
A BROKEN ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT IN THE AIRBAG CLOCKSPRING WIRING ASSEMBLY CAN LEAD TO NON-DEPLOYMENT OF THE DRIVER FRONTAL AIRBAG AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROPERLY PROTECT THE DRIVER IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURIES.

REMEDY:
CHRYSLER WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REMEDY THE VEHICLES AS NECESSARY FREE OF CHARGE. CHRYSLER WILL MAIL TO OWNERS AN INTERIM NOTIFICATION DURING MARCH 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

NOTES:
CHRYSLER'S RECALL NUMBER IS L37. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236

There is an online complaint form that I encourage everyone to complete so that we can convince them that the recall needs to include more than just "CERTAIN MODEL YEAR" Wranglers that they have currently identified. There is obviously a larger number of Jeeps effected than what they are willing to admit.

Here's the link to the form: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

Smokinjoe

Any update to clock spring issue recall ? I called Jeep and they said only right hand drive is covered and could not argue my way to get it covered.. I have a 09 paid $500 to get it fixed :crazyeyes:

sj

petsitter Kathy

no luck

Any update to clock spring issue recall ? I called Jeep and they said only right hand drive is covered and could not argue my way to get it covered.. I have a 09 paid $500 to get it fixed :crazyeyes:

sj
I just got off phone with the recall people at jeep, said my 08 is rhd too, so won't cover it. I have a message into highway safety . Who in USA has a LHD ? This is the craziest, most dangerous thing I have ever heard of.

rampagejk

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicion

After Moab trip, my 2008 Jeep Unlimited Rubicion - LHD - Driver airbag light on and cruise control is no longer working. I did bring it to dealership to check and confirm that it is broken clock spring and cost $550.00 for everything. :grain: I called to Chrysler and said that it is NOT recall. Huh? My jeep has only 40 K miles on it. How can my jeep break clock spring?

AC1977

Don't pay someone that amount of cash to change this part. I did it last week in one hour with basic hand tools. 550$ is a ripoff once you see what the job actually entails. Your not disarming a nuclear war head, you're pulling two electrical plugs off the air bag module and removing a steering wheel for Christ sake. I got the 675$ quote from a local dealer and laughed at the lady behind the counter. It's super simple to do. You almost can't screw it up.

rampagejk

Don't pay someone that amount of cash to change this part. I did it last week in one hour with basic hand tools. 550$ is a ripoff once you see what the job actually entails. Your not disarming a nuclear war head, you're pulling two electrical plugs off the air bag module and removing a steering wheel for Christ sake. I got the 675$ quote from a local dealer and laughed at the lady behind the counter. It's super simple to do. You almost can't screw it up.

I am trying to find good tip how to do it. How much you did paid for the part. Thank you.

AC1977

You can get the part from Amazon or eBay for about 180$. There are a few UTube videos detailing the fix, just google Jeep clock spring replace.

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
It is not a hard repair at all. I had it done in under a hour. The hardest part is removing the air bag clips. I used a little allen wrench to hook them. If you get your google on there's a write up and even a youtube video out there. Not worth getting ripped off by a mechanic in my opinion.

Top Bottom