Drag Link Adjustments after Wheeling?

I am on the trail 2-3 weekends a month. Usually pretty easy stuff, but once a month or so I make a longer trip into an area with some rocks. (Where I really like to play.)

I've quickly learned that I need to all hydro assist to turn my 37s in this terrain but that's not the purpose of my post...

The issue...

Whenever I play in the rocks where the turning gets tough, I have to adjust the drag-link length (longer). My steering wheel isn't off much (no codes or anything) but it's not right. I have double and triple checked everything for tightness and it's all good. I have not flipped the D-Link or raised the track-bar yet, but there appears to be no damage to the mounts. I DO have a sector-shaft & track-bar brace. I also have a Synergy tie rod, that shows no signs of damage or bends. Also, toe still looks good via tape-measure.

I'm still running the stock D-link, and almost pulled the trigger on an aftermarket one moments ago, but wanted to gather some other thoughts to potential issues.

My d-link doesn't appear to be bent, but it's the only sense I can make of the need to lengthen it???

Here's a picture of the wife behind the wheel.... Your treat for reading :D

100_1686.JPG

kevinp

You know, the first three or four times I went wheeling, I had to center my wheel. I figured something was out of whack. But then it just stopped. Nothing is broken, out of alignment, or otherwise off. It just stopped happening. I wish I had a more concrete answer for you.

Kevin

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using the Wayalife APP

Either you're hitting your tie rod or the clamp on the turnbuckle of the drag link isn't on properly.

Tie rod is straight, I verified with two 4' levels (used as straight edge not level of course). And as I mentioned in my initial post the toe looks great. (Same tape measure readings as it had immediately after the last alignment.)

The drag link has never been disassembled to now be installed incorrectly and all bolts have been torqued after each adjustment.

I will add that each time it seems to need less of an adjustment than the previous. This last time was only really needed to ease my OCD. (about 1/4 turn)

jeeeep

Hooked
if the turnbuckle was lose it may be stripped now and the force when turning with 37 is causing it to shorten. Look at the threads on the turnbuckle and see if it looks like they been rounded off

if the turnbuckle was lose it may be stripped now and the force when turning with 37 is causing it to shorten. Look at the threads on the turnbuckle and see if it looks like they been rounded off

Thanks... I'll check them out closer.

I am the only one to adjust it and it has always seemed tight when loosening to adjust but it's worth another look.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TPSMan

Are the frame and axle mounts for the track bar both still good? My wheel was not straight after a trip out playing, and it turned out the track bar mount on the frame was breaking away and letting the track bar move. :eek:

Are the frame and axle mounts for the track bar both still good? My wheel was not straight after a trip out playing, and it turned out the track bar mount on the frame was breaking away and letting the track bar move. :eek:

Frame yes... Axle I think so, but I really need to clean better to properly evaluate the welds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Tie rod is straight, I verified with two 4' levels (used as straight edge not level of course). And as I mentioned in my initial post the toe looks great. (Same tape measure readings as it had immediately after the last alignment.)

The drag link has never been disassembled to now be installed incorrectly and all bolts have been torqued after each adjustment.

I will add that each time it seems to need less of an adjustment than the previous. This last time was only really needed to ease my OCD. (about 1/4 turn)

I'll post pictures tomorrow to show you what I mean about the turn buckle.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
This is wrong, it's on my jeep. I still haven't fixed it.and not sure how it got like this. But there is a open seam on the turn buckle, my clamps are not lined up as in the photo. You want the clamps with the bolts lined up with the seam. My other jeep is correct, but my wife went to the store right now and it isn't here. If they aren't lined up, the buckle won't stay clamped good. If you're buckle looks like mine, it is wrong.

Attachments

• 1403568753108.jpg
    1403568753108.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 308
Right on! I understand what you guys mean now... I have always made sure the clamps are inline with each other but I overlooked the sleeve seams relationship to them. I just went out to the Jeep to look and mine are 90 degrees out.

Thanks guys, I'll correct this. :rock::beer:

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This is wrong, it's on my jeep. I still haven't fixed it.and not sure how it got like this. But there is a open seam on the turn buckle, my clamps are not lined up as in the photo. You want the clamps with the bolts lined up with the seam. My other jeep is correct, but my wife went to the store right now and it isn't here. If they aren't lined up, the buckle won't stay clamped good. If you're buckle looks like mine, it is wrong.

Thanks. Glad it helped.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Right on! I understand what you guys mean now... I have always made sure the clamps are inline with each other but I overlooked the sleeve seam's relationship to them. I just went out to the Jeep to look and mine are 90 degrees out.

Thanks guys, I'll correct this. :rock::beer:

Found a picture on my phone. Here is how it should be lined up.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403576098.631327.jpg

Beyrgut

Ok I'm a little dense, so the opening in the clamps should align with the seam/gap on the sleeve to be properly installed?

Damn bad timing you post a pic as i asked the question, thanks that cleared it up. One more thing to fix before the road trip on Thursday.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ok I'm a little dense, so the opening in the clamps should align with the seam/gap on the sleeve to be properly installed?

Damn bad timing you post a pic as i asked the question, thanks that cleared it up.

You are correct with what you said. If it isn't aligned the clamps aren't doing anything.

Just an update on this... I have been wheeling twice now ( one trail yesterday maxed out my flex several times). Everything is good now that I fixed the clamp alignment. I should've figured this out on my own but I didn't, Luckily, I have you guys to help!

Thanks again!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Just an update on this... I have been wheeling twice now ( one trail yesterday maxed out my flex several times). Everything is good now that I fixed the clamp alignment. I should've figured this out on my own but I didn't, Luckily, I have you guys to help!

Thanks again!

It happens all the time. I saw another one that was wrong yesterday.

Crucial

sometimes its the small things that are overlooked

so was yours spun like that from the factory or something that might have been done after the lift was installed?

Top Bottom