2wd to 4wd conversion

simonjk

Caught the Bug
I tried to search for a conversion but came up with nothing, I remember reading one a year or so ago but cant remember the name of it for the life of me.

First off, this is not my jeep. One of my best buds joined the army a few years back, ran short on funds so he sold his xj while he was deployed. When he got back he decided he wanted a jk, there was very few in his price range in his area, and he ended up with an 08 jku 2wd. That being said, he still wheels it. I gave him my old 3" lift and he is currently sporting some 35s. He wants to make it 4wd, but we dont know the full package that needs to make it.

I recently came across a buddy who replaced his sport dana 30 for a rubi 44 and he is giving us the 30 for the conversion. We know we need a t-case, drive shaft, 4wd lever and new center console, along with the computer flashed. What all else is involved or "hidden"? Is it a straight up bolt on and your good to go? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Any parts someone has laying around, shoot me a pm if yall can help us out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

t8er

Honestly I know you got the 30 for free but if it were me I'd at least put a Dana 44 under the front end and build it all the way. I think you've got the basics covered.

simonjk

Caught the Bug
Due to his budget, a 44 is out of the question, he doesn't want to go over 35s, and doesnt wheel aggressively.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Alex909

I have done the 4wd conversion on my old 2007 jku. Some of the main parts you need.

Front&rear driveshafts
Transfer case
Transfer case adapter
Transfer case shifter & linkage
Front axle (same gear ratio as rear axle)

You do not need to buy a new console. Simply trim out the piece where the shifter comes out of. Also, I didn't have to flash the computer.

As far as your front axle I would try and find a used 44. First you need to determine what gear ratio you on the rear axle. From my understanding 07-08 automatic 2wd came with 4.10 gear ratio. This is where i made a mistake on my build. I bought my front d30 for 300. I then regeared for another 1000 and bought an aussie locker for 350. Leaving me at 1650. I could've bought a used stock d44 for 1100-1400 with the same ratio 4.10. and wouldn't of had to regear.

I will try to find the exact part numbers you will need later this evening.

txjeeplover

Also, I didn't have to flash the computer.

The JK's PCM alters the throttle response when in 4lo and temporarily deactivates the ESP. Of lesser importance, the dash display won't indicate your transfer case position which is required to do the factory equipped permanent ESP disable/enable in the event that you need to do so.

jims68

You also need the wire harness for indication of your transfer case. In 99% of the stock harnesses they don't have any extra connections, only what your vehicle was configured for on the build sheet. So you will need a harness out of a similar configured 4 wheel drive model. Would you need to have this? No but there will be drawbacks to not doing this step. You may be able to build this harness, with the proper drawings, and I think it goes back to the ECU. Now the dash I am not certain on but this may need to be replaced also and or programmed along with the TIPM. Next find a willing dealer or mechanic to get it working. When they download your programming from Chrysler your vin will give them headaches because it is a 2x4 configuration. The new system I am not familiar with so how much wiggle room the techs have is a big??? Not to be a Debbie downer, I would put it in and try it without indication first. There was a step by step write up I think in 4 Wheel and Off-road on doing this a few years back also. Good luck!

Alex909

The JK's PCM alters the throttle response when in 4lo and temporarily deactivates the ESP. Of lesser importance, the dash display won't indicate your transfer case position which is required to do the factory equipped permanent ESP disable/enable in the event that you need to do so.

Makes sense. My dash did not indicate when I was in 4wd but I knew right away as soon as it was on. As far as throttle response and esp being deactivated i never had a problem. Or at least I've never noticed? ESP light never came on or noticed any throttle issues. Just from my experience wheeling with the conversion for 2 years.

Fortunate

Automatic or 6 speed? The conversion is slightly different between the two.

I also agree with saving for a 44. I did ours with a dana 30 and within a year made the swap to a PR44, I should have just saved for the PR to begin with.

Top Bottom