ReGearing Questions???

Ant's JK

Just looking for some information and help regards to re gearing. I have a 2012 2dr manual sport with a 3.5" lift. I plan to get 35s within the next 2 months. Ive been reading about re gearing but I have some questions about it: Will re gearing have a negative effect on my motor running stock tires? Which gear ratio is ideal for 35s ? What effect will re gearing have on the engine in the long run? Or should I just run the stock 3.21s? I do plan on putting a E-locker in the rear 44 also. I'm sorry if some of these questions sound dumb I just don't know much about re-gearing and i don't want to ruin my vehicle mechanically.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
regear.jpg

Here is the chart that will help you. As far as I know it will help the life of the engine because it won't be working as hard to turn the bigger tires. BUT I am not an expert in that particular field. As far as the Locker, I would recommend you do it at the same time as regears since your diff will be open anyways. Hope this helps

EDIT: wait wrong chart.

jeeeep

Hooked
Just looking for some information and help regards to re gearing. I have a 2012 2dr manual sport with a 3.5" lift. I plan to get 35s within the next 2 months. Ive been reading about re gearing but I have some questions about it: Will re gearing have a negative effect on my motor running stock tires? Which gear ratio is ideal for 35s ? What effect will re gearing have on the engine in the long run? Or should I just run the stock 3.21s? I do plan on putting a E-locker in the rear 44 also. I'm sorry if some of these questions sound dumb I just don't know much about re-gearing and i don't want to ruin my vehicle mechanically.

plan on regear after the tires, with your manual you can get by with your gears on 35's, it'll be a little sluggish but not as noticeable with a manual

you'll want a tuner to correct your speedo, tire size and set the correct gear ratio once you regear.

if you regear first with stock tires you'll be too low and have too much torque, someone with a manual may chime in here to verify this.

I would recommend in this order:

tires
tuner
gears

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
plan on regear after the tires, with your manual you can get by with your gears on 35's, it'll be a little sluggish but not as noticeable with a manual

you'll want a tuner to correct your speedo, tire size and set the correct gear ratio once you regear.

if you regear first with stock tires you'll be too low and have too much torque, someone with a manual may chime in here to verify this.

I would recommend in this order:

tires
tuner
gears

I have had two manuals (09 & 14) and I would suggest saving up for all three at once. You could also take the tuner out of the equation by having the shop flash your ecu... if they can. If you can't wait then I would do tuner, tires, then gears.

2014 JKUR

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Thank you for the chart that really helps so it appears that either 4.56 or 4.88 would be good.

No prob. And yes I am facing the same debate as you. I can't settle on a gear size. But I am saving up to do it all at once.

Gears
Tires
Front drive shaft
Lift
Tuner
Cromoly front shafts

2014 JKUR

Ant's JK

Ok so I shouldn't have a issue running the stock 3.21s with 35s. Thank you for the info. I do have a aev procal

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ant's JK

With the 3.21s would that put too strain on the motor even with the manual ?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
With the 3.21s would that put too strain on the motor even with the manual ?

Just looking at the chart the smaller gears with bigger tires forces your rpms down. With My basic understanding of engines I don't think that it would increase stress on your engine. It does keep your engine in the lower band of your torque and horse power hence the sluggish performance.

2014 JKUR

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
3.6_liter_pentastar_graph_01.jpg

Here is a dyno from a WK to illustrate my hypothesis. Bigger tires with smaller gears don't use the potential of the engine (power band?) as well as a properly geared jeep would.

Ant's JK

Great, so the motor won't be strained or stressed just won't have its full potential. Does anyone have experience with 4.56 gears ?

2k13jk

Ive been running 3.21s 35s and a manual for 5 months and i hate it so much its a pig im always in between 5th and 6th on the highway gas mile age dropped drastically im regearing to 4.56s next month i cant wait

Heholua

Great, so the motor won't be strained or stressed just won't have its full potential. Does anyone have experience with 4.56 gears ?

I've run 4.56s with 35s, its OK, better than 3.21s, but do yourself a favor and go with 4.88s. I have 37s now with 5.13s

VaderJK

Like others have mentioned, I wouldn't re gear before getting your 35's.

I drove mine with 37's on stock suspension and 3.21 gearing for about a week due to scheduling conflicts not allowing me to lift and re gear right away. It was definitely sluggish. Highway driving was slow going.

I went with 4.88's and couldn't be happier. It feels much more peppy now than it did with stock tires and 3.21's!

Top Bottom