Diesel vs Gas V-8

JKU EXTREME

I'm sort of curious to know how many people would choose a gas over a diesel conversion for a JKU.
I love the LS conversions and Hemi's and all, I just would want someone thing that would truly set my build apart.
(Not anywhere close to doing engine swaps, just curious).

Thanks guys
John William

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Diesel for me. Better mpg (some times) better torque (depending on the set up) and black smoke to piss off the hippies (always) what s not to love!

2014 JKUR

I almost always prefer gas over diesel.

Why?

I like to travel the roads less traveled. When I need gas, all I want to worry about is finding a station, not one that has diesel.

Also, I am very familiar with trouble shooting, and even tuning gas engines. (Even today's electronically controlled ones.)

Diesel smells like crap and makes too much noise to sneak up on wildlife. Even my JK with no muffler is quiet at or near idle.

It's a Gasser for me....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I almost always prefer gas over diesel.

Why?

I like to travel the roads less traveled. When I need gas, all I want to worry about is finding a station, not one that has diesel.

Also, I am very familiar with trouble shooting, and even tuning gas engines. (Even today's electronically controlled ones.)

Diesel smells like crap and makes too much noise to sneak up on wildlife. Even my JK with no muffler is quiet at or near idle.

It's a Gasser for me....

You don't like the smell? You are a hippie! :D just kidding.

2014 JKUR

You don't like the smell? You are a hippie! :D just kidding.

2014 JKUR

HA... A big no to the hippie :) A poorly combusted high octane fuel is a wonderful smell, but diesel isn't something I care for. My redneck farming buddies always give me crap about it.

Jeeper Jr.

Given the choice, I would go gas almost purely because LS motors are awesome and I'd love to have one

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cmireles

I'm sort of curious to know how many people would choose a gas over a diesel conversion for a JKU.
I love the LS conversions and Hemi's and all, I just would want someone thing that would truly set my build apart.
(Not anywhere close to doing engine swaps, just curious).

Thanks guys
John William

Ecodiesel is a very attractive reason to get a diesel for me. Fuel efficient and powerful. LS V8 for the win though for me. Vroom!

Armydog

No plans for motor swap until my i6 dies, which might take some time... But I think I am leaning toward a diesel... want to be unique, not a lot of diesel TJs around. Good torque delivery, great sound.... thinking.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Speeddmn

Something to consider for diesel is the weight of the motors. To build a diesel motor to have gobs of TQ and HP, you "should" be looking at a inline 6, or Duramax. Those motors weight a metric crapload! To save the weight you then choose a smaller 2.something or 3.little bit bigger guy motor. The returns for weight vs power isnt nearly there as it would be for a LS/Hemi swap.

Not bashing V8's, not bashing Diesel's. Love em both and hate em both.

My plans if the money tree ever grows, buy a 3.5L Ecoboost and swap in that little v6 with some upgraded turbos and intercooler. Push 400hp/500tq easy from a motor no larger than the current one. Someting to think about also.

:twocents:

JKU EXTREME

Something to consider for diesel is the weight of the motors. To build a diesel motor to have gobs of TQ and HP, you "should" be looking at a inline 6, or Duramax. Those motors weight a metric crapload! To save the weight you then choose a smaller 2.something or 3.little bit bigger guy motor. The returns for weight vs power isnt nearly there as it would be for a LS/Hemi swap.

Not bashing V8's, not bashing Diesel's. Love em both and hate em both.

My plans if the money tree ever grows, buy a 3.5L Ecoboost and swap in that little v6 with some upgraded turbos and intercooler. Push 400hp/500tq easy from a motor no larger than the current one. Someting to think about also.

:twocents:

I've read about swapping in an ecoboost on this forum, once or twice, I still think it's an interesting idea. But yes, I wasn't thinking anything bigger than a 3.9, I'm not building another rattle trap.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
another vote for Gas here. its more available than diesel so you dont have to worry about it in remote places.

2k13jk

4bt diesel for me weight on it isnt to bad good torque at low rpm can still pull a good amount of weight good mpgs and diesels handle alot more stress stock then a gas motor can

JKUndaunted

Gasoline for me. Swapped a 2.8 crd for a 95 4.0 HO that I rebuilt into my JKU and have no regrets whatsoever. Diesels stink. Old school direct injection diesels like the cummins I6 I love. 4 cylinders shake too much and common rail diesels are a liability. Been there done it. I think that american folk wants diesels because there are not many over there. The grass is not always greener.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Gasoline for me. Swapped a 2.8 crd for a 95 4.0 HO that I rebuilt into my JKU and have no regrets whatsoever. Diesels stink. Old school direct injection diesels like the cummins I6 I love. 4 cylinders shake too much and common rail diesels are a liability. Been there done it. I think that american folk wants diesels because there are not many over there. The grass is not always greener.

That is exactly why I want one! And I disagree my neighbor's lawn looks phenomenal. Lol just kidding

2014 JKUR

another vote for Gas here. its more available than diesel so you dont have to worry about it in remote places.

That wouldn't be too big of problem for me. Work truck capacity is 250gal and I'm sure there's a way I could absorb the fuel into a business expense one way or another, lol.

JKUndaunted

Whatever you decide I really strongly advise against common rail diesels. They are unreliable, vgt turbo problems, fuel contamination is not tolerated very well, if any water gets into the fuel then the injectors get seriously damaged as the water injected at about 1800 bar of pressure cuts chunks out of the injectors. The injectors in england cost in excess of £1000 each on average. The injectors pulse about 5 times per cycle so they wear out much faster than conventional direct injection diesels. Also they have so many electronics nowadays that you cant drive them under water as safely as the old diesels regardless of using snorkels.

KingCopperhead

Had an LS3 in my Camaro... It's about the only thing I miss about that car since trading it in for my JK. Think I'd go gas. But a diesel would be pimp. Tough choice... I think I'd go ls3

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom