SteelBadger build

SteelBadger

Hi All,

So to begin, why SteelBadger? When I joined the forum I was stuck trying to think of a name so I just thought back for a while and Badger came to mind. Why? Well many, many, MANY, years ago when I was in martial arts I was referred to as a badger. Small, tenacious, and well, furry.....the steel part comes from the Anvil colour.

So I have started my build. I know it won't make sense to some as to the order in which I have done it, but I have my reasons albeit not necessarily good ones LOL. A full 50% of why I do things is simply because I like how it looks.:nuts:

What I am looking for:

Rock sliders: LOD, got 'em
Front bumper: LOD, mid width, got it
Roof Rack: Gobi stealth on order
Winch: Smittybilt XRC 9500 synthetic (all I could afford after the Gobi, holy #$#@!:broke:) got it

Rear bumper: want one with a carrier. Can't decide on which one yet. lots of of time to choose though, again because of the Gobi
Lift: kind of narrowed it to Metalcloak or Rock Krawler 2.5"
Tires: a 285/75 r17 or there a bouts. Likely KM 2s

Then of course recovery gear, CB (got it) etc.
First pic. Stock
jeep.jpeg First Mall Crawler mods Some red plastic "paint" on hooks and my super awesome Wayalife decal photo (1).jpg
Bad pic, but after the sliders, bumper and winch install jeeppark.jpg and of of course the stubby antenna. Can't forget that.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Sweet rig. May I ask why you went with a roof rack? JKUs have plently of space.

SteelBadger

Sweet rig. May I ask why you went with a roof rack? JKUs have plently of space.

Don't mind at all! It was originally, the only mod I really wanted. So the order was made. I can't wait for it actually.

One reason is for cross country skis for the family and friends. So when we load up with people and a little bit of gear inside the skis can go up top.
I am considering a roof tent but the jury is still way out on that. I know you can pack a lot inside but with a child and friends it can get pretty loaded up. I also carry way too much photography equipment lol.
And, too be perfectly honest, I just like them. Insane? Maybe, but I am okay with that!

SteelBadger

I forgot to mention re-gearing. I have the 3.73, but I am considering moving to 4.1 or 4.56. I am not sure the move to 4.1 is worth the money though. The biggest tire I will likely ever run is 35. Any input?

gleno99

I forgot to mention re-gearing. I have the 3.73, but I am considering moving to 4.1 or 4.56. I am not sure the move to 4.1 is worth the money though. The biggest tire I will likely ever run is 35. Any input?

Most around here say the evo enforcer has a great ride and also great offroad. I ordered it because so many recommend it. It's in my garage waiting to be installed.

SteelBadger

Most around here say the evo enforcer has a great ride and also great offroad. I ordered it because so many recommend it. It's in my garage waiting to be installed.

I would love to get a 2.5" EVO. I could get the kit, but finding a good shop for install is another matter. Not sure I trust myself for the job. Just need Off Road Evolution to open a shop in Alberta lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh and any 2.5" lift advice/opinions are very welcome.

I see that you've narrowed your search to MC and RK. Any specific reasons why you're sold on these? Being that you're only hoping to run 285's, any reason why you're not just looking at a coil spacer lift?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I see that you've narrowed your search to MC and RK. Any specific reasons why you're sold on these? Being that you're only hoping to run 285's, any reason why you're not just looking at a coil spacer lift?

I've always wondered why they market them as 2.5". They usually give over 3"of lift. Sometimes 3.5":confused:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've always wondered why they market them as 2.5". They usually give over 3"of lift. Sometimes 3.5":confused:

I might add, most fail to inform people of the fact that on a 2012 or newer, you will damage your front drive shaft and rear shaft as well if you have a 2-door. If you're really just wanting 2.5" of lift, a coil spacer lift really is a great option worth looking into as it'll get you what you're wanting and save you money every which way you look at it.

SteelBadger

Thanks for the input! I have done some searching around and these two seemed to be recommended by many folks. Terraflex and Rubicon Express don't seem to garner too many positive reviews. I could be wrong of course as I am just learning about this stuff. The EVO kits are in the running too now.
I thought about coil spacers to be sure but I have been told they can make the ride a little rough when used with stock springs. I am thinking that because the 2.5 lift will likely raise it higher than 2.5" the weight of all my mods may bring it down a bit to about 2.5 or a little more. I like the stock fender flares and will likely keep them, or buy a few extra black pairs to bang up, so I lose a little height there I think. The 285s are what I am pretty sure I want. If I move up I would like a kit that can grow with me. Also with a 2.5 or so I was hoping to have more flex than a spacer can provide. Please, please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks,
Jeff

SteelBadger

I might add, most fail to inform people of the fact that on a 2012 or newer, you will damage your front drive shaft and rear shaft as well if you have a 2-door. If you're really just wanting 2.5" of lift, a coil spacer lift really is a great option worth looking into as it'll get you what you're wanting and save you money every which way you look at it.

Thanks again, Yup, I have started looking into drive shafts too. Different brands and 1310 vs 1350. Another area to learn about to be sure.

TheDuff

Spacers by themselves will not limit flex, Your shock length will. A spacer lift with some decent monotube shocks for 1.5-3" of lift Will yield the same flex as a coil lift using the same shocks and bump stop length. of course it will ride pretty much the same as stock, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, once in my experience, most. Aftermarket coil as springs ride like ass.
Longer shocks need longer brake lines, while drop brackets get the job done, I would still highly recommend extended brake lines. And being a newer jk, you'll want either exhaust spacers or a new front drive shaft.
In all honesty though, if your going to run only a 33" equivalent tire, you dont really need a lift, at most I would suggest just a spacer leveling kit. It would ride like stock and look much more fitting for the tires.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

SteelBadger

Spacers by themselves will not limit flex, Your shock length will. A spacer lift with some decent monotube shocks for 1.5-3" of lift Will yield the same flex as a coil lift using the same shocks and bump stop length. of course it will ride pretty much the same as stock, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, once in my experience, most. Aftermarket coil as springs ride like ass.
Longer shocks need longer brake lines, while drop brackets get the job done, I would still highly recommend extended brake lines. And being a newer jk, you'll want either exhaust spacers or a new front drive shaft.
In all honesty though, if your going to run only a 33" equivalent tire, you dont really need a lift, at most I would suggest just a spacer leveling kit. It would ride like stock and look much more fitting for the tires.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you! I am so glad I am on this forum. Everyone here seems so level headed and offers well thought out advice. Something that I definitely need at this juncture.

JAGS

Hooked
Thank you! I am so glad I am on this forum. Everyone here seems so level headed and offers well thought out advice. Something that I definitely need at this juncture.

Duff and Eddie have some great notes. For 285 (33s), you really could get by with spacer leveling kit or a budget boost type set up that will save you from having to do other mods. This is the route I'd go and maybe look at upgrading your shocks to some Ranchos or bilsteins.

If you may go with 35s, look at EVOs 3" plush ride coils. Pair with Ranchos or Bilsteins to save a few bucks that you could put toward the front driveshaft.

These are the few ways I'd consider given what you've posted thus far.

cmireles

Duff and Eddie have some great notes. For 285 (33s), you really could get by with spacer leveling kit or a budget boost type set up that will save you from having to do other mods. This is the route I'd go and maybe look at upgrading your shocks to some Ranchos or bilsteins.

If you may go with 35s, look at EVOs 3" plush ride coils. Pair with Ranchos or Bilsteins to save a few bucks that you could put toward the front driveshaft.

These are the few ways I'd consider given what you've posted thus far.

Or he could just roll like I am and get the 285s and wheel spacers with no lift for an even better LCOG

Edit: he's gonna have a lot of weight on the vehicle, may not be a good idea.

Top Bottom