Long Journey Towing Prep [Questions]

tonytony9

Dear Forums,

I'm going on a quad/dirt biking trip soon and I'll be towing using my 08 jeep wrangler unlimited X for the first time. I have towed using other trucks with smaller trailers before but I wanted to make sure I'm set for this trip.

I'll be towing one dirt bike and two quads, don't know the exact weight of the trailer/bikes yet. I'm looking for tips and things which I should do because I don't wanna kill my jeep here. Just a little nervous because it's got high miles on it. But I probably shouldn't be.

Please let me know any advice, need to knows, ect... for my journey ahead of me.

Btw it's the automatic so I got these stats for it ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403895420.020983.jpg

And my trip is about 100 miles each way.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I tow a loaded 5x8 trailer with my 2010 auto. how you load makes a big difference in the trailer. majority of the weight should be above the axle forward. you don't want the trailer pulling up on the hitch but also don't want it pushing down too much.
keep overdrive locked out, fastest way to ruin your transmission is to have it lugging in O/D. if you have a tuner, set it for tow mode - it adjusts the shift points
if your trailer has trailer breaks, be sure to hook them up and use them or be sure to allow extra space in front of you for braking.

rockcrawler26

I tow A LOT with all my vehicles and I an always checking my speed, trans temp, and coolant temp. If you keep your distance, load it right (previous post) and keep my three tips in check then you shouldn't have an issue. My two vehicles are an 09JKU X 6 speed and an 04 excursion diesel. I live by the same rules on both.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

tonytony9

I tow a loaded 5x8 trailer with my 2010 auto. how you load makes a big difference in the trailer. majority of the weight should be above the axle forward. you don't want the trailer pulling up on the hitch but also don't want it pushing down too much.
keep overdrive locked out, fastest way to ruin your transmission is to have it lugging in O/D. if you have a tuner, set it for tow mode - it adjusts the shift points
if your trailer has trailer breaks, be sure to hook them up and use them or be sure to allow extra space in front of you for braking.

I see the o/d button in my wrangler, but how do I keep it locked out?

tonytony9

I tow A LOT with all my vehicles and I an always checking my speed, trans temp, and coolant temp. If you keep your distance, load it right (previous post) and keep my three tips in check then you shouldn't have an issue. My two vehicles are an 09JKU X 6 speed and an 04 excursion diesel. I live by the same rules on both.

Ya I defiantly won't be pushing 60 thats for sure. Probably just put it in cruise control and let it go. How do I check those temperatures btw?

I found out that both quads are about 400 lbs each. So let's say with my dirt bike it's about 1k, and then the trailer. I'm way under that 3,500 maxium.

rockcrawler26

Ya I defiantly won't be pushing 60 thats for sure. Probably just put it in cruise control and let it go. How do I check those temperatures btw?

I found out that both quads are about 400 lbs each. So let's say with my dirt bike it's about 1k, and then the trailer. I'm way under that 3,500 maxium.

On your gauge cluster there should be a engine/coolant temp gauge.

tonytony9

On your gauge cluster there should be a engine/coolant temp gauge.

Ya after I wrote that I felt pretty stupid realizing the gauge was right in front of me haha. Btw does about let's say a maximum of 1700 pounds seem like too much?

Top Bottom