Who still uses the TPMS ?

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
So after the rubicon trip and me smashing a valve stem I got to thinking how many of you guys are still using the TPMS on your jeeps.

The dealership wants $80 for one replacement sensor and then I have to get it installed.

My local tire shop recommended that if I keep the TPMS system that I should have the sensors banded I the rim on the inside and run regular valve stems.

So after the rubicon trip and me smashing a valve stem I got to thinking how many of you guys are still using the TPMS on your jeeps.

The dealership wants $80 for one replacement sensor and then I have to get it installed.

My local tire shop recommended that if I keep the TPMS system that I should have the sensors banded I the rim on the inside and run regular valve stems.

I don't use my TPMS.

Do you have a superchips programmer? If so, you can download a file from their website to deactivate the TPMS warning light.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i havent used my tpms since i took my stock wheels off and put my aftermarket ones on. i didnt want to take them apart just for a sensor when i could turn it off.

NV375

I just reactivated mine this morning. If I crush a sensor it will be off again and not replaced.

Sent using the WAYALIFE mobile app

txjeeplover

I deactivated mine 2-3 years ago with my AEV Procal when one of the sensors began failing. Before that, the system saved me time and hassle a couple of times by warning me that the pressure was low when it wasn't apparent to me with the Jeep in park. Both times I had slow leaks caused by road debris in the tire.

So while I had driven Jeeps for well over 20 years without that feature, I began to freak out once I lost it. When I purchased new tires a few months back, I also purchased new aftermarket (non-Mopar) sensors, and had them installed with the new tires. The sensors cost $40 each on Ebay, and the installer installed them at no cost. I reactivated the system at a slightly lower threshold, but I felt a huge sense of relief knowing that I had it working for me again.

Last edited:

Chevy Dave

So if we turn off the tpms with a programmer like superchips do we even need to run Senors anymore or can I not even have them installed if I get new wheels?

OllllllllO Instagram @LucyTheJeep

Chattinfarms

I shut mine off when I installed my tires and wheels and haven't looked back, I mean I've been driving for 17 yrs without them so I think I can spot a low tire. To answer the question, no you don't have to keep the sensors if you shut it off

Sent from the business end of my jeep

NV375

So if we turn off the tpms with a programmer like superchips do we even need to run Senors anymore or can I not even have them installed if I get new wheels?

OllllllllO Instagram @LucyTheJeep

My sensors sat in my garage for several months waiting for me to reinstall them after switching rims and tires. I used the pro cal to turn them off only side effect was dash showing all zeros when you went to that screen.

You can deal with not having TPMS if you choose to. I like having TPMS these days. In some previous vehicles I had it seemed like a flat tire normally turned into needing a new sensor. I have not destroyed any of the jeep sensors yet.

Sent using the WAYALIFE mobile app

suicideking

I ditched my sensors on my second wheel swap. I kept them in when I got 33's which was annoying because I always had them around 30 psi which meant the light was always flashing. It was a pain because I had to have them removed from the stock wheels and installed in the new ones. When I went to 35's, I ditched them since they're just a hassle. I got an AEV Procal to adjust for the tire size so just used it to turn off the TPMS system (set to 0).

As others have mentioned, I've been driving for around 25 years without them and don't see any need to have them. Maybe if you were driving a street car and didn't have a spare, might want them. They have no place in a Jeep. With large wheels, you can eyeball them and know if they are lower than normal.

I had lost one of my sensors and still sold the other 4 for $100. Probably get more if you have the full set.

GR8WHITE

I'm still running my tpm's in my spyderlocks. When i air down to around 12 psi it just beeps a couple times and it stops but it doesn't bother me.

Asinine

Love em. Bought a set on Ebay for $85 bucks. When I hit the trail, I have the EVIC display the TPMS readout and I can adjust each tire to the desired PSI without having to use a handheld gauge. It's also nice for my wife who somewhat pays attention to the flashing lights on the dash.

TheLloyd

To add I got the 433 MHz ones off of eBay and they worked flawlessly for my 2013. The 2014 should be the same as the 2013.

Rccrwlr

What's TPMS? :crazyeyes:

Tire pressure monitoring system
A tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is an electronic system designed to monitor the air pressure inside the pneumatic tires on various types of vehicles. TPMS report real-time tire-pressure information to the driver of the vehicle, either via a gauge, a pictogram display, or a simple low-pressure warning light. TPMS can be divided into two different types — direct (dTPMS) and indirect (iTPMS). TPMS are provided both at an OEM (factory) level as well as an aftermarket solution.

Lol

--rccrwlr

Top Bottom