Is Front Locker influenced by ESP/BAS and ABS lights?

I've got a problem with my JK 2008 Rubicon 3.8l V6.

I bought it last October from a garage 300 miles away from home. It was almost stock apart from 2in spring spacers and 33in tyres.

I drove it home happily without any problem and no suspicious light in the dash.

The following day I drove the Jeep for only a couple a minutes and the ESP/ABS and ABS lights appeared in the dash. I never found out why and I can't cure the problem despite that I have replaced my rear wheel sensors.

I have since fitted a 5in lift and 37in tyres and had it re-geared in 5.13. Once the re-gearing was done my front diff was continuously in locked mode so the Jeep was un-drivable. The mechanic who carried out the re-gearing removed the switch/plunger from the front diff and with a pair of cutting pliers removed the plunger part that goes inside the diff to get me "temporarily sorted" !!
That was a couple of months ago.

About 1 month ago I bought a new switch/plunger and gave it to him to replace. Few days later I took the Jeep for off-roading and tried to operate the lockers and I realised that the rear locker engages but the front one doesn't. The front locker dash light keeps flashing and nothing else happens. I brought the jeep back to my mechanic and after checking it he said that was due to an electrical fault. According to him the rear switch/plunger constantly receives 4.5 Volts but when the in cab locker switch is activated the switch/plunger doesn't receive any volts. He then tested the front switch/plunger and he is adamant that this one doesn't receive any volts at all, In Cab switch activated or not.

Following this I started looking on this forum for answers and this is when I found out that the carrier needs to be removed and the switch/ plunger must be pulled out to be correctly fitted. In my mind it is very likely that the new plunger has been wrongly fitted (again) and is now probably bent so I ordered another one again from USA.

I received the new switch/plunger this Saturday morning but before going ahead with the big job and opening the diff I was wondering if someone would know if the ESP/BAS and ABS Dash lights could have something to do with my front locker not engaging for safety reason (even if the switch/plunger is correctly in place).

Last edited:
Top Bottom