Gas mileage

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
No seriously though. Companies like RIPP and AFE(?) claim their cold air intake will grt you better mpgs. However consumer reviews are mixed. Most say that the actually gain vs cost isn't worth it.

2014 JKUR

GCM 2

Seriously, the only way to decent (subjective to each person) fuel mileage is:

- Keep the entire jeep stock. Meaning: no larger tires, no aftermarket armor, nothing that adds weight or lift kits that will exposing non aerodynamic parts like axles etc.
- If keeping it stock is not a viable option: regearing axles to match tire size and calibrating trans shift point (for automatic trans) or short shifting (manuals trans) as much as possible
- Do not drive over the speed limit. On hwy's try to keep it under 65mph
- No aggressive acceleration, especially from stop lights or stop signs.
- Always run it with the hard top on (soft tops, and no top, has more drag)
- Never take the doors of (also increases drag)

Basically, do everything opposite of what most of us do while we are driving our jeeps and by doing so you will have better fuel mileage, but you will have less enjoyment of your jeep.

Last edited:

warrkill

Seriously, the only way to decent (subjective to each person) fuel mileage is:

- Keep the entire jeep stock. Meaning: no larger tires, no aftermarket armor, nothing that adds weight or lift kits that will exposing non aerodynamic parts like axles etc.
- If keeping it stock is not a viable option: regearing axles to match tire size and calibrating trans shift point (for automatic trans) or short shifting (manuals trans) as much as possible
- Do not drive over the speed limit. On hwy's try to keep it under 65mph
- No aggressive acceleration, especially from stop lights or stop signs.
- Always run it with the hard top on (soft tops, and no top, has more drag)
- Never take the doors of (also increases drag)

Basically, do everything opposite of what most of us do while we are driving our jeeps and by doing so you will have better fuel mileage, but you will have less enjoyment of your jeep.

My jeep seems to get better gas mileage with the top off. I find that quite odd but will take it!

My jeep seems to get better gas mileage with the top off. I find that quite odd but will take it!

prob. cuz you slow down. :thinking: I drive slower with the top off than on to keep from being beat to hell from the wind. I drive even slower when completely naked (65 is about my top)

warrkill

prob. cuz you slow down. :thinking: I drive slower with the top off than on to keep from being beat to hell from the wind. I drive even slower when completely naked (65 is about my top)

No driving slower. but man when completely stripped it does suck up the gas and beats the hell out of you on the hwy.

mattfl

Any opinions on the "superchips" etc, as far as gas mileage goes?

There is no magic chip that's going to give a brick with a motor better gas mileage. There just isn't. A few mpg extra in the long run isn't worth worrying about. Look what GCM 2 posted and that's about the only way to get better mpg, basically drive like a grandma

SteelBadger

There is no magic chip that's going to give a brick with a motor better gas mileage. There just isn't. A few mpg extra in the long run isn't worth worrying about. Look what GCM 2 posted and that's about the only way to get better mpg, basically drive like a grandma

That is what I figured.:giveup:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Any opinions on the "superchips" etc, as far as gas mileage goes?

there is a "fuel saver" option on the superchips that i have and i have compared it to no tune and the 81 octane tune. in reality there was maybe a .5 mpg difference between them all max. i tried to copy my driving style on all 3 tunes and for city driving they all were about 14 mpg. the highway is where you might see a difference but idk.

BlackKnight

That's what I'm thinking also. I have a hardtop and with it on I can drive 80 without issues. With just the freedom panels out max 65-70 else I feel beat to shit by the wind.

Sent from my Apple personal messaging system using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
My Jeep, 2010 auto, 3.5" lift, 35's, 4.88 gears, SuperChips, Scream'n Demon performance distributor and wires, AFE CAI, plus additional weight from other skid protective add-ons.
I've been keeping track of mpg's - hand calculated not the on dash
when I added the lift and tires and reset for tires - no gears yet, mileage dropped
added gears 6 months later, adjusted with SuperChips, mileage increased, not to original levels but better, depending on speed
added AFE CAI with oiled filter - mileage stayed the same
added performance coil and wires - tuned for performance, response increased, mileage slightly better
changed tune back to normal, could feel lack of "punch" but mileage didn't drop
replaced AFE oil filter with their paper type filter - mileage didn't change

around town mpg averaging 14-16 depending on right foot and Jeep is pretty empty

on trips and fully loaded, freeway at 65 or slower avg 18mpg I've gotten better but I think it was a fluke or good tail wind... at 70mph and faster and I drop to 15, worst mileage was in headwind from hell, 7mpg at 55mph...and I had to push it just to hold 55.

have been fueling at QuickTrip stations using their 93 premium and 87regular, have recently started using Exxon premium - yes, costs a little more but mileage has increased consistently - my daily driving is pretty consistent, plan to switch to regular fuel and change to the SuperChips regular tune to see how it does.

When on longer trips, I use performance tune for the mountain passes, if I cannot find premium fuel then i'll switch to regular tune and drive slower. will start recording Exxon fuel mileage using their regular fuel

of the performance add-ons, IMO the CAI did nothing. I plan to return it to the stock air filter and see if that helps cure the oil consumption rate. I seem to have a lot of residue in the CAI tube and am cleaning the TB too often now.

using the Superchips and installing the performance coil was the best thing I did, it smoothed out the idle, made it more responsive and mpg are better - not back to stock but not bad for a brick on wheel - and a damn good looking brick at that! :beer:

I do have plans to go the LS upgrade - if I'm going to get this kind of mileage I want more power! :rock:

Best mod ever for MPG!!!!

Park the jeep in the garage.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404323719.565988.jpg

And daily drive one of these...
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404323777.835071.jpg

My mileage nearly tripled once I did that....

Top Bottom