Brakes

Prime

I'm going to change out my brakes and wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with slotted and drilled rotors?

1. did you like them?
2. did they last?
3. were they better than regular rotors?

2013CGJKU

They are a gimmick. You are removing surface area of a rotor in the name of heat and gas dissipation... aka a bunch of crazy mumbo jumbo that will NEVER be necessary on a daily driven vehicle, especially a Jeep.

No need, just get a good set of solid rotors.

If you really want to upgrade your stopping power, the only real way to do it is with bigger rotors or more pistons in your calipers which lets you run bigger pads and more clamping power.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
what he said^^^^ if we were driving race cars that needed the heat displacement so the brakes stay strong and dont wear out drilled and slotted rotors are needed. for a jeep just stock pads are plenty. when mine wore i i replaced the pads with crown stock replacements and they are great. i believe eddie even runs stock pads in moby still.

From personal experience (not on a Jeep).
I upgraded the front rotors on my truck to drilled and slotted as well as nice pads. Leaps and bounds better descending long steep grades. No more brake fade.

With how heavy these pigs are I can see an advantage to it. And when it's time to replace I will do the same on the JK.

Prime

Hmm anyone else with pros or cons?

I don't mind paying for good brakes it's my DD and off-roader.

2013CGJKU

From personal experience (not on a Jeep).
I upgraded the front rotors on my truck to drilled and slotted as well as nice pads. Leaps and bounds better descending long steep grades. No more brake fade.

With how heavy these pigs are I can see an advantage to it. And when it's time to replace I will do the same on the JK.

It was likely just the new rotors compared to the worn ones that they replaced and the better pads (which will make a difference in friction, therefore stopping power). It really is completely unnecessary in a Jeep.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

It was likely just the new rotors compared to the worn ones that they replaced and the better pads (which will make a difference in friction, therefore stopping power). It really is completely unnecessary in a Jeep.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Only replaced them because the rotors got scorched and warped driving down Mt Whitney loaded up with hiking and camping gear. They were not old. Going on 4 years with the drilled and slotted rotors with no complaints.
Might not be necessary, however I still see an advantage over stock.
Loaded down these jeeps get heavy real quick.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm going to change out my brakes and wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with slotted and drilled rotors?

1. did you like them?
2. did they last?
3. were they better than regular rotors?

I've run them front and rear, for the last 3 years - I got tired of the brake fade when traveling down mountain passes and when towing the trailer.
For me they made a big difference with the 35's, the ones I have came with scorched ceramic pads.
They also work great in the rain.

JKFlyer

I got teraflex big brake kit w slotted rotors. Huge diff but BC of bigger rotors and calipers...slotted does little imo

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

My rear rotors had bad wear in and I replaced them with the DBA 4x4 slotted rotors and Hawk LTS pads front and rear. I noticed a big difference in braking after doing this. Also the slotted rotors help prevent brake fade and brake loss during offloading and water crossings. I am definitely going to buy them for the front when they wear out or I have some extra cash.

Armydog

Prob don't need them in my TJ but I run slotted and drilled rotors on my Dodge Ram Hemi. The stock rotors constantly overheated and warped- like every brake job I needed new rotors and pads! With the upgrade, I have had no issues from overheating

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

I replaced my stock rears with Powerstop drilled rotors and their pads about a year ago. $220 out the door from 4wp have about 28,000km on them now.

Noticed improved breaking right away, and inspected pads on last tire rotation....lots of life left.

Very happy and cheaper or at par with the white box from the dealer.

Will do the same on the fronts when the time comes

seanb123

i wanted to bring this thread back to life. Recently now that its offically really hot occasionally on the highway when getting off i can get a good wiff of my brakes. Since i have 15' rims im guessing heat isn't getting out very easily. Does anyone think i would benefit from from some slotted rotors or not enough gains to justify the money.

Armydog

I just saw this thread and "need" to hijack it a little bit.
I just did rotors and pads on all four corners of the pumpkin. Pretty straight forward, BUT after the brake job the jeep pulls hard to the left when I brake. The pull has decreased a little after several days on the road and braking very carefully....

What did I do wrong? What should I do to correct it?

Checked for sticking or hung up caliper/pads.... looks ok
Lubricated the slides for the pads.....

I am gonna bleed the system this weekend, but is that gonna help and should I have done that from the start? I only changed pads and rotors, never cracked open a line so didn't think bleeding the system was required....

Any insight, criticism or advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
i wanted to bring this thread back to life. Recently now that its offically really hot occasionally on the highway when getting off i can get a good wiff of my brakes. Since i have 15' rims im guessing heat isn't getting out very easily. Does anyone think i would benefit from from some slotted rotors or not enough gains to justify the money.

To address heat, I would look at a rotor with a high Carbon Alloyed Iron content and pair it with a set of brake pads with a higher heat coefficient. It sounds like your pads are in a cooler temperature range than you're asking them to operate in, which results in increased wear and brake fade.

Take a look at the DBA Performance T3 rotor in their 4x4 Survival series and EBC Yellow Stuff pads.

Top Bottom