Confirming Max tow on a 2012

ssgp2

I'm considering a JKU Rubicon 2012 and it has a hitch but not sure if it's a max tow.
What do I have to look for?

Thanks

MTG

Caught the Bug
Max gross trailer weight = 3,500 lbs which is 1587 kg in the great white north. :yup:

ssgp2

Thanks guys!

But what if all I have is the Jeep to inspect, how do I know if it is a max tow vs some after market hitch?

pvanweelden

Everything i can find on the "Max Tow" package is geared at Sahara's or Sports- the package gives you 3.73 gears instead of 3.21. There apparently was some talk of better cooling for the transmission, but that seems to be false.
Since that is a Rubicon- and a 2012, it already has 4.10 gears.
Your max towing is as MTG pointed out ^ 3500 pounds.
Not sure that there is any difference in whether it is a Mopar hitch or aftermarket hitch- both would be 3500 pounds.

ssgp2

OK!

I was under the impression that the "max tow" was something special installed at the factory.

Thank!

pvanweelden

It is a factory option, but not on the jeep you mentioned- only on jeeps that normally came with 3.21 gears.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
I don't think that is exactly right. 4.10 was not standard on the Rubicon in 2012. However it came with the max tow package. At least that's how I ordered mine.

pvanweelden

Sorry, I thought the 2012 rubi's still had 4.10, but the 13 and 14 came 3.73 without the max tow.
Op- there should be a ID tag on the differential that will show what gearing is in your axles.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
^this. OP if you have the VIN you could call jeep customer service and request a build sheet. Probably could do it online too. Good luck.

ssgp2

Thanks guys!

I dropped the 2012 and went with a '13.
No hitch for now.
When I do, should I go with the dealer or choose another shop for the install?

cmireles

Thanks guys!

I dropped the 2012 and went with a '13.
No hitch for now.
When I do, should I go with the dealer or choose another shop for the install?

A hitch is easy as hell to install, it's like a total of 4 bolts. Just order one and do it yourself. The wiring is also easy, mine was a direct plug in.

Jiblet

I don't think that is exactly right. 4.10 was not standard on the Rubicon in 2012. However it came with the max tow package. At least that's how I ordered mine.

Really? A rubicon without standard 4.10? Yikes.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Max tow also includes trailer sway dampening, which uses the ABS system to dampen the sway when towing a trailer.

Top Bottom