Sport build up vs. rubicon

Tigh10

is there a big difference in the transfer case between the two models?
Can you upgrade the one that comes in the sport, or do you have to swap it completely out?
I'm not a jeep guru but I do plan on doin a lot of upgrading and can't justify buying the rubicon just to turn around and pull stuff off it, thanks for any help

xflstl

The transfer case is different, the front axle on the rubicon is different d44 rather than a d30, the push button swaybar disconnect and both front and rear lockers. You can upgrade the transfer case on a non rubicon with a rubi crawl its a add on that lowers the gear ratio. Or you can swap it out for a rubicon transfer case. So the rubicon is much more than just a better transfer case.

Sent from my SCH-I605

utiadam

LOSER
A lot of people on here buy the rubicon because upgrading takes time and you will have a lot of features from the beginning with the rubicon. Even if you upgrade the rubicon parts the take offs are worth quite a bit. Think of front/rear lockers, electric sway bar disconnect, Dana 44 front axle (not a true 44 but still), and the transfer case. That doesn't even include all the interior features like the power windows/locks.

utiadam

LOSER
The transfer case is different, the front axle on the rubicon is different d44 rather than a d30, the push button swaybar disconnect and both front and rear lockers. You can upgrade the transfer case on a non rubicon with a rubi crawl its a add on that lowers the gear ratio. Or you can swap it out for a rubicon transfer case. So the rubicon is much more than just a better transfer case.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Beat me to it by 3 min! Lol

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I had an 09 JKU and traded it in for a 14 JKUR. I did this becuase I am not planning to do a lot of upgrades. Lift and tires (35s) that's pretty much it. If you plan on going crazy you will probably and up replacing all of the rubicon parts that cause the higher price.
In my opinion: if you are staying simple, get a rubicon. If you are going buck wild get a sport and get the amazing parts available.

2014 JKUR

Tigh10

I appreciate the info, I know the differences as far as the axles, lockers, gears between the different models. My plan was if I got a sport I would swap all that out. If I got the rubicon I would still be swapping out the suspension, drive shafts, gears. I didn't know if the transfer case on the sport would need to be upgraded to be able to put all the other upgrades to use or if it was more cost effective to start with the rubicon as a base. Just trying to pick people's brains on the transfer cases

turbineguy

is there a big difference in the transfer case between the two models?
Can you upgrade the one that comes in the sport, or do you have to swap it completely out?
I'm not a jeep guru but I do plan on doin a lot of upgrading and can't justify buying the rubicon just to turn around and pull stuff off it, thanks for any help

I bought a 2012 JKU Sport before I knew this offroading thing was addictive.

I ended up getting new axles, a Rubi T-case, and a bunch of other stuff. Now my "Trojicon" is more built than a Rubicon, but I spent a lot of money doing it. Despite that, on 99% of the trails I do (Rock Crawling stuff), a Rubi can still do it just as well.

In hind site, I would of bought a Rubicon and spread my upgrades out over a longer period of time, and gone for even bigger axles in the process.

Besides.... you can't let all the MILFs at the mall be the only ones in Rubicons.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
With the sport transfer case you get 2.72.1 reduction with 4low. Rubicon transfer case 4.0.1. I think the question you have to ask yourself is how far you plan to take your build. The only after market option I know of the the atlas transfer case which can give you a crazy 10.34.1 reduction. Plus the options of 2 low and front wheel drive.

2014 JKUR

Srainesrubi

A lot of people on here buy the rubicon because upgrading takes time and you will have a lot of features from the beginning with the rubicon. Even if you upgrade the rubicon parts the take offs are worth quite a bit. Think of front/rear lockers, electric sway bar disconnect, Dana 44 front axle (not a true 44 but still), and the transfer case. That doesn't even include all the interior features like the power windows/locks.

What do you mean not a true 44 ? I'm not new to jeeps but I've never heard this!

utiadam

LOSER
What do you mean not a true 44 ? I'm not new to jeeps but I've never heard this!

Something to do with the tube diameter. Maybe Eddie can chime in on this. I'm pretty sure he has mentioned it before. I'm pretty sure he used the term "hybrid 44."

SteelBadger

I had an 09 JKU and traded it in for a 14 JKUR. I did this becuase I am not planning to do a lot of upgrades. Lift and tires (35s) that's pretty much it. If you plan on going crazy you will probably and up replacing all of the rubicon parts that cause the higher price.
In my opinion: if you are staying simple, get a rubicon. If you are going buck wild get a sport and get the amazing parts available.

2014 JKUR
I think this is good advice and the reason I too went with a Rubicon. I do not plan on replacing anything (well maybe a drive shaft) "underneath" beyond what is required for a minor lift.
Of the note, the D44 in the rear of the Rubicon is a 32 spline, where as other stock D44s are 30 spline as far as I know. How much of a difference this increased contact area makes is something you would have to ask one of the more tech savvy members.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
To each his own but I've had both and if I had to do it again I'd buy another Rubicon. And I just ordered Dynatrac axles and have coil overs etc so I have gotten rid of a bunch of stuff. Don't discount the value of resale Rubicon parts. Just some comments on a few things.

1) Transfer case - going rate seems to be about $500 + your stock Sport tcase
2) Axles - I sold my stock Rubicon axles as a set with only c gussets on the front and EVO rockstars on the back for $3k. Good luck even selling your Sport D30.
3) Sway bar disconnect - this thing is more useful then many people make out. Seen them sell from as low as $500 to as high as $1000.
4) wheels, tires, suspension - I got a pretty decent price for selling someone who just wanted the Rubicon look the whole package.
5) features - one of the best things about the JK is the ability to use it as a daily driver even when heavily modified. Mine is on Beadlocks and 37s and it is my only vehicle. That said the Rubicon has many features standard that you cannot even get on a Sport. Many others you have to get a Sahara or Rubicon to get them. Nav, remote start, body color flares, and many more. If you are looking at new ones the Sport doesn't have the fancy EVIC that shows you speed digitally, individual tire pressures, trans temp, oil pressure, etc.

Each person has their own views but getting the Rubicon up front you can space out your mods over a greater timeframe and you can sell the parts you remove if you eventually do very easily. That and you'd be amazed what a stock Rubicon will do. He'll what a stock JK period will do. I ran a stock 4 door sport without lockers in Moab last year and you definitely notice the lack of ground clearance but I had no problem having a great time wheeling it.

Just my 2c, take it or leave it.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I bought an 08 unlimited x model because of the price and what I could afford at the time and just wanting a four door JK. Just last night I traded it in on a 2014 four door rubicon because of several reasons but one of the main ones is wanting to get a lift and 35s and then needing gears and doing lockers at the same time. I was looking at $4k roughly and didn't have it, wouldn't have it for a while. What I can do is make a higher monthly payment because I recently paid off some other stuff so we got the new rubicon. Now I just need a lift and tires and will be fine for a while. I can get $2k a lot easier even making a $500 a month payment. Never thought I'd buy a rubicon and even said I wouldn't buy one on this very forum. Just some things happened recently and it kind of made sense to get it. Now I will probably get it paid off before I go much bigger than 35s, where on the 08 x model I was already looking at axles and crap also.

Armydog

Highjack time...

Don't have a JK. My Pumpkin is a TJR, but the point is the same - HAD to have a Rubi. Transfer case, lockers front and rear.. even though these axles will be replaced with pro-rocks at some point in the future, right now I'm running 35s on a pretty good looking fairly capable rig....AND IT SAYS RUBICON right on the hood

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Tigh10

I had a 2010 rubi unlimited, it was an awesome jeep. don't have any experience with the sport and didn't know which route was more cost effective. Really appreciate all the info from you guys

Shawdad

You will save a ton of money if you go with the sport, so you'll be able to get more jeep mods, like an atlas t-case... :rock:

Top Bottom