Electrical Fire

Cajun JK

Ok, so I take my jeep to the dealer this morning for a transmission service. I get home and pull it in the garage and notice the engine bay is smoking. I get it out of the garage open the hood and the positive wires from the battery running across the firewall is burning. I grab some rags and get the fire out. I pull the plastic cover off the top of the engine and notice extinguisher powder all over the top of the engine and on the wire connections. There was trans fluid spilt in the engine bay, and on top of the air filter box. I bet the engine was hot and the split fluid caught fire and they put it out, tried to wipe it off and throw the cover back on and called it done. I disconnected the battery and called the service manager and they had a wrecker pick it up. Now I'm in a rental waiting to see what the damage is going to be. Question, what kind of gremlins am I going to have now with the Cambyses system? It's a 2012 with 21000 miles.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Ok, so I take my jeep to the dealer this morning for a transmission service. I get home and pull it in the garage and notice the engine bay is smoking. I get it out of the garage open the hood and the positive wires from the battery running across the firewall is burning. I grab some rags and get the fire out. I pull the plastic cover off the top of the engine and notice extinguisher powder all over the top of the engine and on the wire connections. There was trans fluid spilt in the engine bay, and on top of the air filter box. I bet the engine was hot and the split fluid caught fire and they put it out, tried to wipe it off and throw the cover back on and called it done. I disconnected the battery and called the service manager and they had a wrecker pick it up. Now I'm in a rental waiting to see what the damage is going to be. Question, what kind of gremlins am I going to have now with the Cambyses system? It's a 2012 with 21000 miles.

This happened at the dealership and they decided to half ass clean up the mess put the engine cover back on and send you home without telling what happened?!?........That Service Manager better have a good explanation on WTF happened while your rig was getting serviced.......maybe the mechanics covered up the mishap and sent it out thinking all was well.......this could've been so much worse......engine fire while inside the garage turns into a structure fire and burns your house down........thankfully you saw the smoke and removed your rig from the garage........hope the Service Manager calls the mechanics out on this......can't believe they let that go........let us know what happens....

~Woodrow~

2013CGJKU

Even if he does come up with some story on what happened, the fact that it wasn't revealed to you from the get go and then almost caused bigger problems (including, burning your house down), is the real issue at hand.

I would personally be losing my mind right now and doing what I can to at the least get a new wiring harness along with whatever else I can find wrong with it or get the Jeep replaced.

This is bonkers. An electrical fire is one of those things that will be coming back to haunt you for a long time.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Tree Frog

Holy F*** I would be going ballistic right now. Are you kidding me? They thought you would not notice?
What kind of POS mechanic even does something that stupid?

If you had not caught it when you did, and the Jeep goes up in flames then the evidence goes up too.

Too bad stupid aint against the law.

Sounds to me like it is time to have a real sit down talk with management of that dealership.

This is one reason I really don't want anybody working on any of my rigs. I hate letting these dorks even pump my gas. (we cant pump our own gas here in OR.)

Cajun JK

It got there a bit before closing. Closed tomorrow so I figure I will be there Monday. Will see what they have to say.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
I would be on their doorstep coming monday morning, waiting for them to open. I think owner of dealership should also be made aware of the major screw up.

Mechanic should be fired and if manager knew about it, he should be fired. There's no matter excuse for that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Come to think of it, they should be open Saturday. I'd be there Saturday and Monday if needed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You have got to be kidding me!! Once again, I am reminded of why I do not trust dealerships to work on my Jeeps. If you have to use a dealership, you almost need to take a before and after pic of the engine compartment - just so that you have un-deniable proof that they are the ones who screwed things up. Man, this just sucks!!

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
If be driving away in a new jeep. That sucks!

I agree. Glad you got it out and are ok.

But I would seriously try and not settle for any "repair". You should definitely at least have a consult with a shark (I mean lawyer) and force the dealerships hand to take yours as a really really sweetheart trade on a brand new model.

spinuck

So have they denied any knowledge of what happened and accused you of having done it? I can only imagine that's how it would play out.

Cajun JK

No they have not tried to deny it. I was only gone from the dealer for no more than 15 minutes before I was on the phone with them telling them what was going on and I needed a wrecker. So far they seem to be bending backward to figure out what happened. Will see come Monday morning.

JKFlyer

Wow....that really sucks $hit. Glad u caught it

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

noroad

No they have not tried to deny it. I was only gone from the dealer for no more than 15 minutes before I was on the phone with them telling them what was going on and I needed a wrecker. So far they seem to be bending backward to figure out what happened. Will see come Monday morning.

I smell a new rubicon upgrade, as the almost burned your jeep and house down!!! I would not let this go for a free oil change if you get what im saying. Glad you are ok!

Capita

I smell a new rubicon upgrade, as the almost burned your jeep and house down!!! I would not let this go for a free oil change if you get what im saying. Glad you are ok!

x2. I wouldn't take anything less than a new Jeep.

Electrical fires are the gift the keeps on giving... It will be one problem after another.

I would seriously hire an attorney right away. Don't wait. Leave a message and send an email to the entire management staff that they are not allowed to touch the jeep until you have a chance to discuss the fire in person with your attorney present.

That will get your point across that you are serious and protect you from them trying to cover it up. If you have the right attorney you'll end up with a new jeep.

Take pictures of everything!

Sent from my NSA monitoring device... Using the WAYALIFE mobile app

Buster3479

Wow, just wow. My wife is always asking me why I don't trust the dealership to do anything on Beast. Whatever they offer you, just remember that you can't trust them. You'd be trusting the same people that almost burnt up your Jeep and possibly down your garage to cover their screw up. I hate lawyers something fierce, but I'd get anything in writing and have one look it over before even shaking a hand.

Keep us posted, and best of luck.

Top Bottom