Transmission shifts out of park but won't engage

Dukes_of_C.Rock

This happened to me about a week ago and since I was told that it is common to happen in the 2011 JK's with the auto tranny I thought I would share since I couldn't find anything about it on the internet. I went and stopped at the store and put the jeep in park, turned it off and got out. I then got back in and started the jeep and went to put in to reverse and felt a pop in the shifter. Thought I never felt that before and went to give it gas and it just revs. So I put in drive and the same thing...just revs the engine without engaging. I then tried all the positions and the same. Now I'm stuck in park and can't roll anywhere. I searched the internet and couldn't find anything so I called a dealership asking them about it and they said they asked a couple techs and nobody knew about the problem. So I figured I better have it towed. Then I went ahead and called another dealership told them my situation so they transferred me to the service advisor and he told me to check the shifter cable going to the transmission on the driver side and see of anything looks to be disconnected and sure enough it was. I poped it back on and the jeep was in business again. So glad I called them. It was nice that they were straight with me and didn't have me tow it to them to "check it out" just to get more money from me. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404438959.234743.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404438975.620508.jpg

It goes into a metal "C" type holder but it doesn't hold it very well. So it might happen again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom