Tapping sound in jku...need help. Think I have a gremlin

JKFlyer

OK...hoping someone can help. When I am driving i am experiencing a weird tapping sound underneath my floor pan. Seriously feels like there is a gremlin underneath that is banging on the driver floor pan or front axle with a mallet. So here are details

Coming from front end

Randomly happens....no consistency

Happens between 30-60mph the most. Still feel a bit above 60

No rhyme or reason to it

Only new thing I did was install new wheels and sensors coudltn sit flush on inside. But if one got loose it would provably stick to inside tire wall n centrifugal force and only clang around on low speed which is not the case.

Some balancing weights fell off one rear wheel but don't see how that could produce a strong tapping feeling under jeep if a wheel is out of balance

If a ujoint or bad gearing or bad axle shaft, Id think it it would be consistent but its random...and frequent. Ujoints don't seem wobbly or loose when parked

Same in 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel

Put on teraflex big brake kit but don't see how that can affect and this wasn't doing that after it was first installed

Looking underneath, seems after market steering stabilizer could be rubbing against my jks track bar but in general everything is tight

Any thoughts?? I just drove and hour and it was bad. Feels unsafe. have a 2010 jku lifted 2.5 on 37s w 5.13 gears. Front is gusseted & sleeved.

Thanks!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKFlyer

Front driveshaft maybe?

I failed to mention that i just had an Adams 1310 front driveshaft installed. Didn't make noise first few weeks after install (in April). If this was issue, wouldn't it be more consistent and happen at all speeds?

suicideking

I failed to mention that i just had an Adams 1310 front driveshaft installed. Didn't make noise first few weeks after install (in April). If this was issue, wouldn't it be more consistent and happen at all speeds?

More of a guess. Probably only a problem if you've been banging it on rocks. I just had mine fixed by JE Reel. No visible damage?

JKFlyer

More of a guess. Probably only a problem if you've been banging it on rocks. I just had mine fixed by JE Reel. No visible damage?

No visible damage and had it installed ( proactively) after my last Wheeling trip. Have Not wheeled since

JeepFan

Hooked
If you're not seeing anything obvious, probably the best thing to do is take it to a shop that can put it up on a lift and give it a good looking over. From your description it sounds like something in the driveline. Possibly a drive shaft or ring and pinion. Best not to drive it until it's diagnosed.

Moochie

You said you checked u-joints. Did you look at your axle shaft u-joints? When bearing caps come loose they can make a tapping sound.

JKFlyer

You said you checked u-joints. Did you look at your axle shaft u-joints? When bearing caps come loose they can make a tapping sound.

Moochie. Front axle shaft is new and I went under jeep now and all seems solid but I will admit that I am not truly sure how to check if a u-joint is bad or not??

If I has to guess it totally feels like. Its coming from that area. Only thing I am thinking is if it is a u-joint would that thumping be consistent or uniform? My banging is definitely there but random

Thx

Moochie

If both your front axle shafts are new, your axle u-joints should be good. Take a look at them for any obvious signs of damage.

This is what a missing bearing cap looks like:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404521368.254697.jpg

SaddleTramp

Maybe pull the front driveshaft and go for a drive. Pretty easy to do in 10mins and would at least eliminate that as a cause since it was recently added.

JKFlyer

If both your front axle shafts are new, your axle u-joints should be good. Take a look at them for any obvious signs of damage.

This is what a missing bearing cap looks like:
View attachment 90614

Hi moochie...I mistyped...I have new driveshaft but axle shafts are original. When I did my ball joints 6 mos ago, I replaced one u joint that was bad on 1 of the axle shafts. Anyway I checked and call caps are in place

JKFlyer

Maybe pull the front driveshaft and go for a drive. Pretty easy to do in 10mins and would at least eliminate that as a cause since it was recently added.

Makes sense...will try to do that

Top Bottom