2017 Jeep JL Wrangler Most Likely will be Lighter... Possibly Less Powerful

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just read an article by Chris Woodyard of USA TODAY that hints yet again to an all new 2017 Jeep Wrangler that will most likely feature a lighter aluminum body and possibly a smaller more fuel efficient motor and/or transmission. Check it out...

Jeep may make Wrangler lighter, less powerful
main.php

There are some cars that are difficult to mess with without risking alienating those who make up their core group of buyers and biggest fans. Now Jeep looks ready to touch the third rail when it comes to the vehicle that represents the purest form of the brand, Wrangler.

Wrangler remains one of the toughest and smallest rock-crawling SUVs on the market. But it burns a lot of gas.

To improve gas mileage when the new one hits in 2017, Jeep is considering a lighter body, more transmission gears or a smaller engine, according to Automotive News.

The current Wrangler is rated at 17 miles per gallon in the city, 21 mpg on the highway, for either the automatic transmission or the manual. The four-door version gets slightly less.

Wrangler is running into the problem that has bedeviled other models. On one hand, it has to be true to its heritage. On the other, it has to fend off imitators that may win hearts of buyers even if they aren't as capable where it counts. In this case, it's on the trail.

Ford has also tried to handle the same issue with its new Mustang. It broke some of the traditions that have defined the brand in the name of progress and better fuel economy for the 2015 version, which is yet to hit to the streets. (The new one will offer independent rear suspension and a turbocharged EcoBoost engine option, for instance.)

Wrangler also to contend with tougher fuel-economy standards. The News says it could get an eight-speed automatic transmission, instead of the current five speeds. It also could get a smaller engine than it current 3.6-liter V-6, which is a lot of power for a relatively small vehicle.

Aluminum body? Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Sergio Marchionne has hinted at the possibility, but it's not a sure bet.

Whole article can be found on USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/07/06/jeep-wrangler-gas-mileage/12263411/

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Or they could work out a deal with GM to put LS motors in from the factory. ;) I wonder what kind of mileage your motor would get in a bone stock JKUR. Maybe 20-25?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Or they could work out a deal with GM to put LS motors in from the factory. ;) I wonder what kind of mileage your motor would get in a bone stock JKUR. Maybe 20-25?

:cheesy: Now that would be something!! Wasn't sure if anyone else was gonna catch the "smaller engine than it current 3.6-liter V-6, which is a lot of power for a relatively small vehicle." As if anyone here thinks 285 HP is "a lot of power" :crazyeyes:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
:cheesy: Now that would be something!! Wasn't sure if anyone else was gonna catch the "smaller engine than it current 3.6-liter V-6, which is a lot of power for a relatively small vehicle." As if anyone here thinks 285 HP is "a lot of power" :crazyeyes:

285 is a shit ton of power...

...for a quad or a motorcycle.

Tachyon

I could go for the aluminum body...but I think the power plant is the area where they could really make some improvements....diesel? Hemi? Forced-induction-anything?

I'm actually a bit surprised that the SRT team hasn't built something along the lines of what Ford did with the SVT Raptor. It would be interesting to see what the factory could put together with their R&D budget...

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
:confused: :mad:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

If the Wrangler is getting a proverbial neutering, one strategy is to buy one in the next two years and keep it. Its all speculation now, but the land rover crowd had to do this with their Defenders (when they axed it). Ford guys had to do this with older Bronco's. its not inconceivable that left wing government/environmental regulations and market pressures will drive the chrysler corporation to create a product that conforms with a market segment that doesnt align with the core needs that most in this forum subscribe to.

MrHooah04

If the Wrangler is getting a proverbial neutering, one strategy is to buy one in the next two years and keep it. Its all speculation now, but the land rover crowd had to do this with their Defenders (when they axed it). Ford guys had to do this with older Bronco's. its not inconceivable that left wing government/environmental regulations and market pressures will drive the chrysler corporation to create a product that conforms with a market segment that doesnt align with the core needs that most in this forum subscribe to.

Exactly my plan. Drive my 07 into the ground and possibly pick up the final jk in '16. !

David1tontj

Ha! I was about to say that. My wife's 14' Town and country feels fast as hell with the 3.6, my 14' JKU, Meh, not so much!

Yep... Same story here. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404912415.480551.jpg blacked out '14 caravan feels super fast! Maybe it's the 6 speed auto. I still have to paint the wheels- this is the blackest option they had.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Top Bottom