Rear Bumper tire carrier questions??

I am looking at a new rear bumper with a tire carrier. I don't want rattles as who would but I am also wondering what are the pros and cons of having a tire carrier that is mounted to the bumper but also opens with the door? As opposed to what is the benefit of having the bumper carrier open first then have to open the door?
I am looking at a LOD full width with tire carrier.
I like the LOD because of its looks, function and the fact that you can bolt the hi lift horizontal and its included in the base price. I evaluated some of the others and would also like to hear your experience and preference. Thanks.

liljohn850

I am looking at a new rear bumper with a tire carrier. I don't want rattles as who would but I am also wondering what are the pros and cons of having a tire carrier that is mounted to the bumper but also opens with the door? As opposed to what is the benefit of having the bumper carrier open first then have to open the door?
I like the LOD because of its looks, function and the fact that you can bolt the hi lift horizontal and its included in the base price. I evaluated some of the others and would also like to hear your experience and preference. Thanks.

I have the ACE Engineering pro series rear bumper with light provisions and teh tire carrier, I also have the Trek Top and did the slant back mount as well. The bumper is solid with no noise/rattle. The lights are a nice touch. Installation was a breeze, and the price was awesome. I know guys with the LOD bumpers and they look good from afar, up close I'm not a fan of the handle and such. I'd steer way clear of smittybilt carriers. I love the tire carrier attatched to the rear door, it makes life way way easier. One motion to open the door vice two handles and such.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

The LoD one hand operation bumper tire carrier is a great choice and unless you're planning on carrying a 40" tire, I think you'll be fine with it. Super easy to use and a really solid bumper.

StrizzyChris

Pro- a carrier that's linked to the tailgate like the one you are mentioning has the one action, one handed opening operation like a stock JK has.

Con- if the rear tire gets hit directly then the energy can be transferred back into the tailgate at that linked location. Its rare, and probably would never happen, but it COULD.

Top Bottom