Hemi Swaps

liljohn850

Who all has done their own Hemi swaps. AEV makes it sound like a walk in the park and everything is lined with butterflies and rainbows. I've down swaps on different cars (I was a honda fan boy til about 3 years ago) but is the kit REALLY that complete? I mean, you can get the swap kit for $5400, a Hemi off the good ol Ebay for $3000-ish, and wallah, you have a Hemi JK...

Not that this is going to happen in the near term at all, but if I happen to keep my current Jeep instead of getting a 10A, then a Hemi or LS will happen one day. My questions is if anyone has done it them selves is it really THAT bad and what are the crazy issues you saw right off the bat?

DA RUNT

Who all has done their own Hemi swaps. AEV makes it sound like a walk in the park and everything is lined with butterflies and rainbows. I've down swaps on different cars (I was a honda fan boy til about 3 years ago) but is the kit REALLY that complete? I mean, you can get the swap kit for $5400, a Hemi off the good ol Ebay for $3000-ish, and wallah, you have a Hemi JK...

Not that this is going to happen in the near term at all, but if I happen to keep my current Jeep instead of getting a 10A, then a Hemi or LS will happen one day. My questions is if anyone has done it them selves is it really THAT bad and what are the crazy issues you saw right off the bat?

Shouldn't you be replacing that front axle :bleh:

jims68

They can get rather involved! If you can do either for under $10 grand you are ahead of most others. All the little things like exhaust, intake system, cooling can add up additional costs rather fast! If you are not afraid to jump into something that can seem WAY over ones head and not scared to ask for help I would say go for it! If you want this done fast, cheap, and when the first conundrum hits you are ready to either burn or sell your rig I would say no. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had time. It sure gives me a Woodrow every time I start it!

liljohn850

They can get rather involved! If you can do either for under $10 grand you are ahead of most others. All the little things like exhaust, intake system, cooling can add up additional costs rather fast! If you are not afraid to jump into something that can seem WAY over ones head and not scared to ask for help I would say go for it! If you want this done fast, cheap, and when the first conundrum hits you are ready to either burn or sell your rig I would say no. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had time. It sure gives me a Woodrow every time I start it!

The odd and end crap is always what blows the budget apart. The aev kit claims to be all you need... Claims that is

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
They're doing a 2 or 3 part series on installing a Hemi into a JK on PowerNation on SpikeTV right now. They make it look pretty easy ;)

DA RUNT

It must be easy then :cheesy: When I get ready to do the swap if I'm still in Hawaii, think you can fit a 5.7 in a flat rate box too:idontknow:

Just find someone pcs'ing there and shove it in household goods. The swap is a piece if cake. You can do it in 2 hours using basic gardening tools and 550 cord. Trust me, in a doctor

liljohn850

Just find someone pcs'ing there and shove it in household goods. The swap is a piece if cake. You can do it in 2 hours using basic gardening tools and 550 cord. Trust me, in a doctor

zip ties brah... you cant forget the zip ties!!! I actaully mounted my rear plate legit like... with bolts and shit!!

liljohn850

Spike TV really down played the whole process of installing a hemi... I mean, unless it REALLY is that easy and we're all over analyzing the whole thing, they way they make it seem, find a hemi in a truck in the jumk yeard adn go to town... but come on, really!?

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Spike TV really down played the whole process of installing a hemi... I mean, unless it REALLY is that easy and we're all over analyzing the whole thing, they way they make it seem, find a hemi in a truck in the jumk yeard adn go to town... but come on, really!?

They don't have to daily drive theirs... Big difference

Top Bottom