Clanking noise when turning

Mitrig

Hey guys so I have finally had enough of this noise. It only occurs once in a blue moon while turning at a crawl but now it's starting to pop up more. At first I didn't think anything of it but while turning over bumps it began to make the same clanking noise. While driving if I am turning and hit a pot hole my steering shifts over about 20degs till it straightens itself out after a few minutes of driving or if I turn the opposite direction. I took a video of what I believe the noise is coming from. I noticed when I apply torsion to the lower steering link I can see the steering stabilizer bending slightly. Maybe that explains why the wheel shifts and takes a few to straighten out?

loose pitman, drag link, or trac bar check those three with someone inside jeep quickly turning steering wheel back and forth youll see the play somewhere

Mitrig

loose pitman, drag link, or trac bar check those three with someone inside jeep quickly turning steering wheel back and forth youll see the play somewhere

That's the noise it makes like a metal on metal. But I will check all those today and retorque them all. Since it only began to occurs after I lifted it

Mitrig

If you are impatient and have a GoPro it could be handy for self evaluation :D

I don't have a go pro :( I am poor after all the mods so I set up a mount for my phone as a dash cam. Can't really use that user the car ahah. So guess I am waitinf

heybob

Also check u joints on front axel shafts. They make a metal on metal sound before going. They'd also make noise during turn but would quiet up straight.

Mitrig

Also check u joints on front axel shafts. They make a metal on metal sound before going. They'd also make noise during turn but would quiet up straight.

That's what I think it is currently. Everything else seems like it is in place. I'll re tighten very thing before headig out to silver lake for the weekend and pick up new boots on my way back

Mitrig

U joints could be your little buddy making all that racket. COULD BE... I've got 42k on my 11 and I'm just waiting for the motor to blow up, axle to fall apart and U joints to explde....

It just makes the noise when turning tight turns at really slow speeds like just a crawl so I'm going to hope it's something simple

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys so I have finally had enough of this noise. It only occurs once in a blue moon while turning at a crawl but now it's starting to pop up more. At first I didn't think anything of it but while turning over bumps it began to make the same clanking noise. While driving if I am turning and hit a pot hole my steering shifts over about 20degs till it straightens itself out after a few minutes of driving or if I turn the opposite direction. I took a video of what I believe the noise is coming from. I noticed when I apply torsion to the lower steering link I can see the steering stabilizer bending slightly. Maybe that explains why the wheel shifts and takes a few to straighten out?

Is it a single "clank" or a series of "clanking" when it happens?

Mitrig

Is it a single "clank" or a series of "clanking" when it happens?

I'll try to get a video of it in action but it's just a single clank when going from extreme left to right making like a 1000point turn when soemone parks to close to me I know it's front end an has to do with some sort of steering component becuase I feel the clank in the wheel. I'm starting to think it may hae started after my alignment come to think of it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'll try to get a video of it in action but it's just a single clank when going from extreme left to right making like a 1000point turn when soemone parks to close to me I know it's front end an has to do with some sort of steering component becuase I feel the clank in the wheel. I'm starting to think it may hae started after my alignment come to think of it.

Okay, I would double check your track bar bolts to make sure they are tighter to torque spec. A single clank is typically caused by something shifting. Being that it happens when turning, this is where I would start.

Mitrig

Okay, I would double check your track bar bolts to make sure they are tighter to torque spec. A single clank is typically caused by something shifting. Being that it happens when turning, this is where I would start.

Yea That will be the first thing I re tighten ill just pull all the torque specs to anything I swapped and go over them again.

Rebel JK

I had a rear lower control arm to frame bracket bolt work lose on me last year. I had a heck of a time repeating the noise but would clank every once in a while at slow 15mph hard turn. Drove me nuts for weeks.

Top Bottom