what donor car to pull from?

jmatta33

next on the build list is a 6.4 hemi swap into my 2012 JKU. I have a 3.6 with W5A580 auto transmission. need to know what vehicle i need to pull the 6.4 out of, that will bolt up to the W5A580 transmission.

RLTW!!!

Tree Frog

You know IF you have time and a camera,
It would be real nice of you to do a write up on this project. I know a lot of us would be very interested in what all it takes to make it work.
The computer part is what really scares me.
Where are you thinking of sourcing you motor from? Like a local wrecking yard or trying to find a good deal on a used car/ truck?

This article over at Allpar has a lot of good info about this differences between the Hemi's.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

Sorry I have got to go wipe the drool off my keyboard now.:wings:

jmatta33

You know IF you have time and a camera,
It would be real nice of you to do a write up on this project. I know a lot of us would be very interested in what all it takes to make it work.
The computer part is what really scares me.
Where are you thinking of sourcing you motor from? Like a local wrecking yard or trying to find a good deal on a used car/ truck?

This article over at Allpar has a lot of good info about this differences between the Hemi's.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

Sorry I have got to go wipe the drool off my keyboard now.:wings:

plan to source the engine from a salvage yard or ebay which ever place i can get the best deal. there are a few good write ups out there that i plan to use myself so it may be a little redundant. the computer and wiring harness and programmer are part of the conversion kit.

RLTW!!!

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
One thing you may want to do if you have the cash to do a 6.4l swap is to upgrade the tranny internals. Yes it is a W5A580 but some of the internals aren't the same as used on the SRT vehicles with the 6.4L. You will definitely need to do the torque converter but there are lots of upgrades available for the tranny. It is the same basic NAG1 that Mercedes uses in the AMG vehicles too but again they use different clutch packs, solenoids, etc. do a quick google search and you can find all that's out there.

Also, if possible pull the 6.4L from a WK. the headers and oil pan setup are what you want. If you pull from a 300, Challenger or Charger will need those too. If you look on AEVs website they just released their 6.4L kit for the 2012-2014s and have great instructions and a complete list of all the parts you need. I'm surprised they list it there actually since anyone can download the instructions.

Last edited:

jmatta33

One thing you may want to do if you have the cash to do a 6.4l swap is to upgrade the tranny internals. Yes it is a W5A580 but some of the internals aren't the same as used on the SRT vehicles with the 6.4L. You will definitely need to do the torque converter but there are lots of upgrades available for the tranny. It is the same basic NAG1 that Mercedes uses in the AMG vehicles too but again they use different clutch packs, solenoids, etc. do a quick google search and you can find all that's out there.

im aware of all of this, thanks though. just need to know what vehicle to pull the 6.4 from.

RLTW!!!

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I edited too late. Best bet is pull from a WK SRT. It's oil pan is set up for the front diff on a WK so it's how you want it. The car version oil pan won't work for the JK.

Heholua

If you're going to source from a donor vehicle, why not source the engine and tranny? Is it worth the hassle to modify you're existing tranny to mate properly with the new engine?

jmatta33

If you're going to source from a donor vehicle, why not source the engine and tranny? Is it worth the hassle to modify you're existing tranny to mate properly with the new engine?

really i just want to know what vehicle models i can pull from. i only started the thread to find this out.

RLTW!!!

jmatta33

perhaps i should do some more googling to find out what engines work with this transmission

RLTW!!!

trailless

Caught the Bug
really i just want to know what vehicle models i can pull from. i only started the thread to find this out.

RLTW!!!

O
Also, if possible pull the 6.4L from a WK. the headers and oil pan setup are what you want. If you pull from a 300, Challenger or Charger will need those too. If you look on AEVs website they just released their 6.4L kit for the 2012-2014s and have great instructions and a complete list of all the parts you need. I'm surprised they list it there actually since anyone can download the instructions.

I edited too late. Best bet is pull from a WK SRT. It's oil pan is set up for the front diff on a WK so it's how you want it. The car version oil pan won't work for the JK.

:confused:
Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jmatta33

:confused:

I responded before the post was edited or i just flat out missed it in which case, my bad. i have all the info i need now, thanks guys. i talked to motech today and they plsn to release an LS swap kit for the 2012 wranglers later this year. if they do, i may go that route instead.

RLTW!!!

trailless

Caught the Bug
I responded before the post was edited or i just flat out missed it in which case, my bad. i have all the info i need now, thanks guys. i talked to motech today and they plsn to release an LS swap kit for the 2012 wranglers later this year. if they do, i may go that route instead.

RLTW!!!

I thought you might have just missed it. Its fine!

Keep us updated. When my 3.6 hits the crapper its big V8 time!!

Top Bottom