Drag Link Flip: to do, or not to do?

liljohn850

I've read and read and read about the DL flip... I've read if your over 3" to do it, I've read if you're not over 4" don't do it. blah blah blah. My question is, if my Track Bar and Drag Link are parallel, is the DL Flip needed? If it isn't NEEDED then what will happen if I do it? Do I HAVE to do the raised TB mount? I have a RE Adj TB and stock all other steering stuff. Im about 3" of lift. The distance between my axle and frame rail is like 9.5", so whatever that equates to. My 3" plush rides are in the mail (Thanks Dave) and I have a shitybilt stinger with a winch up front, but have adjustable spacers so I can be where I want to be. Back on topic, will the DL Flip help? I intend on doing it, but I won't if it's truly not going to change much. I'll post a picture later, it's 4:30 AM here and I'm about to get off work.

Thanks in advance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you are running a 3" lift, a drag link flip AND track bar relocation kit will recenter your axle AND more importantly, improve your handing by virtue of correcting your steering geometry. It is critical that BOTH track bar and drag link be addressed at the same time. A good kit like the one EVO makes will ensure that both are done as it NEEDS to be. You'll want to run this with a factory track bar.

liljohn850

If you are running a 3" lift, a drag link flip AND track bar relocation kit will recenter your axle AND more importantly, improve your handing by virtue of correcting your steering geometry. It is critical that BOTH track bar and drag link be addressed at the same time. A good kit like the one EVO makes will ensure that both are done as it NEEDS to be. You'll want to run this with a factory track bar.

*face palm* better source a factory TB :naw:
So, not to doubt you, but if the TB and DL are seemingly parallel with an adj TB life should be normal?

I understand the concept of raising both components by virtue of returning them to their intended angles, and it makes sense. But if the angle of the DL end link is significant, would a DL flip alone be beneficial?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
*face palm* better source a factory TB :naw:

Not necessarily. You'll definitely want to set your adjustable track bar to factory length if you can. Problem is with most aftermarket adjustable track bars is that their shortest setting is longer than factory and that will leave you with an axle that is over corrected and off center in the other direction. Not really a big deal but, it is what it is.

So, not to doubt you, but if the TB and DL are seemingly parallel with an adj TB life should be normal?

If you have NOT installed a track bar relocation bracket or dropped pitman arm, both will be parallel and life will be normal.

I understand the concept of raising both components by virtue of returning them to their intended angles, and it makes sense. But if the angle of the DL end link is significant, would a DL flip alone be beneficial?

You CANNOT install just a drag link flip without ALSO relocating your track bar. Failure to do BOTH at the same time will result in handling issues. Any kit that doesn't offer both at the same time is a kit you SHOULD NOT buy.

liljohn850

Not necessarily. You'll definitely want to set your adjustable track bar to factory length if you can. Problem is with most aftermarket adjustable track bars is that their shortest setting is longer than factory and that will leave you with an axle that is over corrected and off center in the other direction. Not really a big deal but, it is what it is.

If you have NOT installed a track bar relocation bracket or dropped pitman arm, both will be parallel and life will be normal.

You CANNOT install just a drag link flip without ALSO relocating your track bar. Failure to do BOTH at the same time will result in handling issues. Any kit that doesn't offer both at the same time is a kit you SHOULD NOT buy.

Have TB, no drop Pitman Arm, no TB relocation bracket. (all is well) and thanks for clearing the confusion! :rock:

Just sell it and get a 10a Rubicon, you know you want too :thumb:
find a buyer for my beloved DANG2 for what I'm asking, which is as far as I'm concerned fair, and then a white 4 door 10A for less than 35... I'll wait.. lol:sigh:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

so eddie, are you saying that you should ony buy a RHD drag link if you do a track bar relocation? i was thinking of doing a drag link flip with the RHD drag link as i assumed it would help with my geometry. with 2.5" of lift (yeild about 3") i know that the evo kit is not needed for my set up after talking to drew but was still considering the RHD drag link.

DA RUNT

My lift only came with a track bar bracket and adjustable track bar, but no flip kit. Is that because it's only 2.5"? Should I change it out? Oh it's the RK 2.5 x factor long arm stretch

liljohn850

My lift only came with a track bar bracket and adjustable track bar, but no flip kit. Is that because it's only 2.5"? Should I change it out? Oh it's the RK 2.5 x factor long arm stretch

"oh it's just a LA Stretch... no big deal....oh look, my weiner is bigger" :cheesy: :bleh:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I went with the evo kit, but I am running the 3" plush rides on a 2 dr which puts me at about 3.5 or more up front. Everything Is parallel and seems fine to me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
so eddie, are you saying that you should ony buy a RHD drag link if you do a track bar relocation? i was thinking of doing a drag link flip with the RHD drag link as i assumed it would help with my geometry. with 2.5" of lift (yeild about 3") i know that the evo kit is not needed for my set up after talking to drew but was still considering the RHD drag link.

Yes. A kit like what EVO makes will come with the RHD drag link. I would not bother with it though unless you run 3"+ of actual lift. If you're less than 3", you could cause over correction.

The track bar relocation bracket I am referring to is the front one. I am assuming what you got is a rear bracket and that is okay to run.

DA RUNT

The track bar relocation bracket I am referring to is the front one. I am assuming what you got is a rear bracket and that is okay to run.

Oh yeah, I was confused. It came with an adjustable front track bar and a rear bracket. Thanks Eddie :thumb:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yes. A kit like what EVO makes will come with the RHD drag link. I would not bother with it though unless you run 3"+ of actual lift. If you're less than 3", you could cause over correction..

interesting i didnt know that just the drag link alone would cause over correction, thanks eddie! i will hold off on the RHD DL then and when i get plush rides i will make sure i get the EVO kit as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
interesting i didnt know that just the drag link alone would cause over correction, thanks eddie! i will hold off on the RHD DL then and when i get plush rides i will make sure i get the EVO kit as well.

The Track bar will cause over correction due to the corrected angle the relocation bracket will provide - NOT the drag link.

liljohn850

All you'll need is the bracket for the tb. Glad I brought this up. We were both about to conduct business. Lol.

Capita

So If my factory track bar bracket is ovaled or broken off, I can't just install a relocation bracket? I have to do the DL flip also? :idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So If my factory track bar bracket is ovaled or broken off, I can't just install a relocation bracket? I have to do the DL flip also? :idontknow:

You can get a reinforcement bracket that gets welded on and retains your factory mount location. IF you decide to relocate your track bar, you will NEED to install a drag link flip OR a dropped pitman arm at the same time.

JKbrick

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404838999.513500.jpg
Before I did the RHD drag link my track bar was in the bottom hole then I moved it up and did the drag link to stay parallel

Top Bottom