Exhaust shield?

zoee_jeeplove

Ok so my little shield thing over my muffler/exhaust one side has come loose and is rattling. I was thinking of just taking it off but I didn't know of that was a good idea. And also to get to that do I have to take the exhaust off or can I work around it. I haven't really been up in there to look at yet.

seanb123

When I was replacing my exhaust I noticed the same thing I ripped it off with no issues but that is with an updated exhaust

zoee_jeeplove

When I was replacing my exhaust I noticed the same thing I ripped it off with no issues but that is with an updated exhaust

well since you said you ripped yours off I'll probably do it but it should be ok right? What's the worse that could happen?

jeeeep

Hooked
well since you said you ripped yours off I'll probably do it but it should be ok right? What's the worse that could happen?

heat, lots and lots of extra heat off the exhaust - the shield is there to keep that area of the floor pan from getting too hot and possibly melting wires that may run across that same area on the floor pan

seanb123

heat, lots and lots of extra heat off the exhaust - the shield is there to keep that area of the floor pan from getting too hot and possibly melting wires that may run across that same area on the floor pan

That's why I pointed out it was an updated muffler with a lot less heat but in the back their is a lot less to worry about the up front one is a different story with ds and other things

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Muffler Heat Shield

What did you end up doing with this? I'm having that issue now. I thought I would just put some big washers over the bolts, but once I got under there I saw that may not be an option. I couldn't get the nuts off to save my life. Maybe just drill new holes with new longer bolts? (sprayed them with PB, that's why they're wet)
heatshield1.jpg
heatshield2.jpg

Stotch

Caught the Bug
x2 Super easy and took care of the problem on my rig.

I'm sure that works great and all, but as you can see from the photos earlier, this is the heat shield above the muffler NOT in front of the crossmember. Can't fit a hose clamp around the tub... ;)

Thanks anyway! :thumb:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
So I ended up just sticking some 5/8 washers, speed nuts and M6 nuts over the top of the old rusted nuts. It'll hold for a while, if it falls off again I'll probably just look for a different heat shield solution all together.
heatshield3.jpg
Bad news, I had to drop the rear sway bar to reach the back bolts and this happened :doh:
rearSB.jpg

JeepDrum

That sucks you broke the bolt off. Seems like a real pain in the ass. How exactly do the speed nuts come into play here?

Stotch

Caught the Bug
That sucks you broke the bolt off. Seems like a real pain in the ass. How exactly do the speed nuts come into play here?

Yeah, I guess I'm going to have to drill it out... :mad:

I just wasn't sure I'd be able to thread a lock nut all the way up the bolt due to the condition they were in. Turns out the nuts went on fine (with a little work), so the speed nuts are working more like a lock washer now.

Top Bottom