Let's hear your trail fixes

They say we learn by doing, but a breakdown on a trail is by far the worst of all classrooms imaginable.
After watching the Wild Wild West Videos and hearing of the more recent carnage on the Rockin' Rubicon trip I figured it was time to start a thread about your trail breaks and the monkey rigging it took to get you safely off the trail. So let's hear your stories and see the pics!

David1tontj

I've got a couple stories for this thread... I'll post them up tonight.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

pvanweelden

I drive a jeep. Nothing ever breaks.

:D

At least not on my jk yet. :)
Tj- starter bolts vibrated out after wheeling, found the starter hanging by the wires, taped up the connections and zip tied so it wouldn't bounce around much, pop started it and drove it home.

Linkage on transfer case got bent from a tree branch, kept popping to neutral when shifting gears, zip tied it until I got home- later pulled the linkage and straightened it out.

Rear driveshaft u joint- pulled the rear shaft- thankfully had a sye, so didn't drip oil from transfer case. Drove home in 4 high with front wheel drive- quite the treat when you have a lunchbox locker in the front :( every time I shifted gears I changed lanes.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I drive a jeep. Nothing ever breaks.

:D

At least not on my jk yet. :)
Tj- starter bolts vibrated out after wheeling, found the starter hanging by the wires, taped up the connections and zip tied so it wouldn't bounce around much, pop started it and drove it home.

Linkage on transfer case got bent from a tree branch, kept popping to neutral when shifting gears, zip tied it until I got home- later pulled the linkage and straightened it out.

Rear driveshaft u joint- pulled the rear shaft- thankfully had a sye, so didn't drip oil from transfer case. Drove home in 4 high with front wheel drive- quite the treat when you have a lunchbox locker in the front :( every time I shifted gears I changed lanes.

Zip Ties added to toolbag- Check!

cddye

Drove home in 4 high with front wheel drive- quite the treat when you have a lunchbox locker in the front :( every time I shifted gears I changed lanes.

Now that's funny! At least, it is now that you're home safe...

'14 JKU, Billet.

Subscribing since all my trips have been solo :doh:

That's one of the reasons why I started this thread. We hear every day about what parts are good and what parts aren't but not nearly enough about trail fixes where you have to think like McGyver with little more than a pocketknife,(and Zipties of course,lol).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The breaks you see in our videos are just there for dramatic effect. The truth of the matter is, we're just mall crawlers that drive pavement princesses :D

hydrohut

The breaks you see in our videos are just there for dramatic effect. The truth of the matter is, we're just mall crawlers that drive pavement princesses :D
I thought that little fix on your short video the other day, steering with the winch was pretty brilliant. this may have already been discussed but how did you get steerage both ways? It appeared you had control in both directions.

kyle521

broke my caliper off so i cut the soft break line then crimped it with vice grips and drove home 2 hours while towing a trailer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought that little fix on your short video the other day, steering with the winch was pretty brilliant. this may have already been discussed but how did you get steerage both ways? It appeared you had control in both directions.

For the most part, the trail was sloped toward the ledge and so the wheels wanted to follow the fall. Hooking up to the knuckle and reeling in or letting out worked well for most of the way up. For times that needed more turning to the passenger, I attached the hook just behind the tie-rod adjuster and pulled from there.

pvanweelden

A trail vise along with several different diameter steel tubing pieces and impact sockets can be used to change u joints, shock bar pins, and ball joints. Use the socket on one side and a larger diameter tube on the other side and press.
1404867644252.jpg

There was a video? I never got to see it

hydrohut

For the most part, the trail was sloped toward the ledge and so the wheels wanted to follow the fall. Hooking up to the knuckle and reeling in or letting out worked well for most of the way up. For times that needed more turning to the passenger, I attached the hook just behind the tie-rod adjuster and pulled from there.

I wondered if gravity was helping in one direction, just hard to tell in the video. An excellent idea though and it got the job done. A trick to remember.

SaddleTramp

Rear driveshaft u joint- pulled the rear shaft- thankfully had a sye, so didn't drip oil from transfer case.

Paul, for a minute there I thought you were gonna say you zip tied the U-joint, ;-).

Nothing like zip ties and bale'in wire. Always plenty in the trail bag!

A friend had just baught a new rig. No spare and he broke a bead. He was having a hard time getting it to seal so we wrapped a ratchet strap around it, had some starter fluid to spray around the bead,and a match. Popped it on and aired up! Always have some starter fluid with me and a match with a strap now.

Top Bottom