LS, Hemi swap issues vs supercharger vs stock

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I cringed a bit before posting this thread since this topic "calls out" a lot of high dollar investments. What I have observed is that many (not all) tend to defend their aftermarket mods, often talking about issues only in "trusted circles" but remain cheerleaders in public. As my jeep is getting ready to head out or ORE in the next few weeks for suspension and drivetrain, I am trying to figure out the next stage of the build- the engine.

The issue I am now continually starting to hear about is overheating. First I heard about overheating with Hemi Based swaps. Now I am hearing of a few cases with LS swaps. Are the overheating issues pretty widespread? Would those of you who have embarked down the V8 swap journey truly redo this swap? With other ancillary issues such as AC problems, it seems that there is no perfect swap. I wonder what AEV does to overcome heat issues on their factory 6.4 swaps on their "JK350" factory conversions. Are those problem free or are owners not reporting them or are they not being pushed?

Given the V8 swap problems, does the group still have a consensus on refraining from some of the new blower options? Maybe the magnussen blower isn't that bad of an option?? Low end torque and "mostly" factory.

Or would many here just stick with a factory 3.6 until the problems are sorted out? Maybe I am over thinking this, but I'd rather not pump in another $25k+ just to create headaches for myself.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i would stick with the 3.6 as it has plenty of power. there is no need for you to upgrade right now honestly.

dirtlimo

I went down the Hemi swap avenue and I honestly would have no issues doing it again.
I do not see overheating and it does everything I could ask.:beer:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I went down the Hemi swap avenue and I honestly would have no issues doing it again.

How hard are you pushing it? Are you driving it slow under load in high temp (90+ degrees) environments? I'm wondering if well done Hemi swaps may be the way to go given that aev has mad a business of selling near factory quality swaps....

Colorado is nice and cool. (mostly) You do have some nice mountain passes to climb though.

Most people I know don't have a problem with the swaps unless they are in the Vegas, PHX and surrounding areas.

dirtlimo

Colorado is nice and cool. (mostly) You do have some nice mountain passes to climb though.

Most people I know don't have a problem with the swaps unless they are in the Vegas, PHX and surrounding areas.

I think this is fair statement, I do have some passes and it will hit 90 degrees outside at times up there.
But she hits about 212, the fan comes on till about 201 and it just repeats this.
I only saw 220 once in Moab going about .5MPH up a grade. :beer:

HDGasser

The only problem I see with the V8 swaps is keeping them cool, these heffers are STUFFED inside these little JK's.

If you can keep em cool the only problem I see otherwise is fuel consumption but that is 99% the fault of your right foot.

I've pushed mine in some warm temps and did see temps over 230ish pulling the 10fwy going and coming from AZ.
The only time it got hot was when the electric fan motor took a shit.

If you do a hemi swap the newer engine that are clutch driven fans are worlds better in the cooling dept. I don't care what anybody says a mechanical fan will pull more CFM than an electric fan of the same size and be less annoying.

I had a spal fan but dumped it cause it sounded like a small jet plane driving down the street! Right now it runs all day at 188-190 with the factory fan.

2k13jk

Instead of ripping the 3.6 out look into ripp superchargers im buying one once i have enough money runs 6 to 7 psi intercooled with a vortech self contained blower its a very safe and powerful route kit runs for 6000 plus tax and they made 340 wheel horse power and thats on low boost

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Instead of ripping the 3.6 out look into ripp superchargers im buying one once i have enough money runs 6 to 7 psi intercooled with a vortech self contained blower its a very safe and powerful route kit runs for 6000 plus tax and they made 340 wheel horse power and thats on low boost

Waste of money. They overheat a lot and the power is in all the wrong places. Do some research before buying.

jims68

If you are certain about doing any of these three options take a trip to Vegas. Motech could possibly have all three options there at one time! He does work on the Hemi conversions and supercharged motors. There are quite a few members that have conversions and superchargers also. Should be able to arrange a test drive for a beer or a steak somewhere near any of them! Should sell themselves to your likings!

Christarp

Honestly I'd stick with your 3.6 for a bit and see what you can get out of it after you do all of your suspension that you have planned. Even with my little 3.8 I can make it up most large dunes and play around and whip the rear end loose on the sand... with enough momentum of course :bleh: If you feel you want the power later then you can always do it later, but I'd give it a shot as is.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Honestly I'd stick with your 3.6 for a bit and see what you can get out of it after you do all of your suspension that you have planned. Even with my little 3.8 I can make it up most large dunes and play around and whip the rear end loose on the sand... with enough momentum of course :bleh: If you feel you want the power later then you can always do it later, but I'd give it a shot as is.

x2 On this. The 3.6 may not be a V8, but when properly geared it is a formidable little engine. I took mine through the mountain in GWNF this past weekend and I couldn't be happier with it! :thumb:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Magnuson Issue

I've been interested in the Magnuson kit myself, and here's one useful bit of info I found on the interweb.

When you install the coolant pump, you'll see its low in the engine bay. About the same level as the bumper. This pump is water "resistant" but not "waterproof". So its a consideration you have to be aware of off road.

Magnuson%20PUMP.jpg

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Here's the hp curve for the Mag vs. Ripp supercharger on 32" tires and 4.10 gears (w/ Pentastar motor)

JeepLab%20RIPP%20MAG%20STOCK%20RPM%20CHART.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As others have said, I would just stick with the 3.6L as is and re-gear as needed to match the tires you're running or go just a bit more. Way cheaper and you'll get real results where you need it most. If you really feel the need for more power and are willing to spend as much as a supercharger will cost - just save up a bit more and do a motor swap. I have yet to see a single supercharger do well on the rocks - NOT A SINGLE ONE and they all seem to have issues.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
As others have said, I would just stick with the 3.6L as is and re-gear as needed to match the tires you're running or go just a bit more. Way cheaper and you'll get real results where you need it most. If you really feel the need for more power and are willing to spend as much as a supercharger will cost - just save up a bit more and do a motor swap. I have yet to see a single supercharger do well on the rocks - NOT A SINGLE ONE and they all seem to have issues.

I'm just worried that it's going to be an utter "turd" on 40" tires even with 5:38 gears. Don't really want to do a blower, but was worried about the reliability of an LS swap based on what I read/heard. Looks like I'll either stay stock or go to a built LS3 installed by Motech

Top Bottom