Today's axle seal festivities.

liljohn850

For all you guys doing your ball joints in the near future...make sure you don't lodge the plastic rings from your shafts in the seals... Ask me how I know about this. Other than reading it somewhere else on here and I think it was brankz, but when it pulled the shafts I saw that sweet plastic ring sitting in there all nice and not how it's supposed to be.

DA RUNT

For all you guys doing your ball joints in the near future...make sure you don't lodge the plastic rings from your shafts in the seals... Ask me how I know about this. Other than reading it somewhere else on here and I think it was brankz, but when it pulled the shafts I saw that sweet plastic ring sitting in there all nice and not how it's supposed to be.

You should have brought it to Da Slop Shop

Rebel JK

I did mine a few weeks ago and prior to doing them I read through the wayalife write up. After reviewing that I expected to see the washers and just removed them. I'm in the habit now to look at the write ups first if I haven't done it before. They have the installer friendly ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1405170047.718252.jpg info left out in the pos manuals out there.

DA RUNT

I did mine a few weeks ago and prior to doing them I read through the wayalife write up. After reviewing that I expected to see the washers and just removed them. I'm in the habit now to look at the write ups first if I haven't done it before. They have the installer friendly View attachment 91545 info left out in the pos manuals out there.

Yeah, all the manuals forget to include the what if's and look out for's. By the way, where'd you get that sweet ring extractor :bleh:

JKbrick

What is the piece in your pic? I had a friend put sleeves in mine and we put new axle seals in and this piece doesn't look familiar

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What is the piece in your pic? I had a friend put sleeves in mine and we put new axle seals in and this piece doesn't look familiar

It's an assembly guide to help get the axle shaft installed without having to drag the splines on the base of the tube and/or damage your axle seal. It's not needed and is typically removed when installing new shafts. If you did not remove yours when installing sleeves, you'll probably find it when you have to replace your seals.

JKbrick

It's an assembly guide to help get the axle shaft installed without having to drag the splines on the base of the tube and/or damage your axle seal. It's not needed and is typically removed when installing new shafts. If you did not remove yours when installing sleeves, you'll probably find it when you have to replace your seals.

Thanks, I'll look for it when the ball joints go on

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, I'll look for it when the ball joints go on

If you already have sleeves installed, I doubt you'll be able to see and or remove them. They'll be next to your differential sandwiched between the sleeves and your axle seals.

JKbrick

If you already have sleeves installed, I doubt you'll be able to see and or remove them. They'll be next to your differential sandwiched between the sleeves and your axle seals.

I did the sleeves before I got too involved here and figured out I really didn't need them. At least they slipped right in and I didn't have to fight them the whole way. OP, sorry for the hijack

Top Bottom