Need help with my fan...

matt1171

I have a 2008 JKU and my fan isn't working. Started overheating during a hill climb on a trail yesterday when I noticed that my fan hadn't been kicking on. And after thinking about it, I haven't noticed it coming on in a while. How do I diagnose if it's a sensor that kicks it on or the fan itself is bad and needs replacing? Thanks for your help.

sitruc

The low speed relay is located in the TIPM and the high speed is located behind the driver side headlight. You might try disconnecting the connector down by the fan motor and apply 12v to it.

YMMV

matt1171

The low speed relay is located in the TIPM and the high speed is located behind the driver side headlight. You might try disconnecting the connector down by the fan motor and apply 12v to it.

YMMV

Thanks. Where is the TIPM?

matt1171

Fuse and relays look ok. But how can you tell if a relay is bad? Next is to check the fan by connecting it to the battery. Can the thermostat prevent the fan from kicking on?

sitruc

Fuse and relays look ok. But how can you tell if a relay is bad? Next is to check the fan by connecting it to the battery. Can the thermostat prevent the fan from kicking on?

The fan is controlled by the computer. I just went through something similar, relays were flakey. I'm not sure how to check them but I'm sure someone here can chime in. ;) Replaced both relays and the resistor which is the connector located top passenger side of radiator. Also replaced fan motor as the bearings were going out.

Top Bottom