DIY Gearing

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Getting ready to put 35s on the jk and have 3.73 gears right now, want to get 4.88 installed as soon as possible bc I only want to do gears once and have plans to go to 37s when the 35s wear out. I want to put money into quality gears and save some for lockers as soon as possible so I don't want to pay the shop to do install, they quoted me $800. I want to do them myself, but wasn't sure if anyone has done them before or if this is something best left to the pros. I didn't see any write-ups on project jk but if I missed it or a forum dedicated to this topic, please let me know. Thanks so much!

noroad

This is a pro thing do, do not do this yourself! 800 is a good price for labor on both. I paid 2400 for 3.21 to 4.88s with a locker!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that you're in SoCal, I might recommend that you give Off Road Evolution in Fullerton a call. They have a gear install special that is only $999 and that includes gears. It's really an awesome deal and one that you simply can't beat.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Being that you're in SoCal, I might recommend that you give Off Road Evolution in Fullerton a call. They have a gear install special that is only $999 and that includes gears. It's really an awesome deal and one that you simply can't beat.

That is amazing, thank you so much, I will definitely be doing this, thanks Eddie!

BBrown626

There are several write-ups on the internet. Lots of folks change their own gears. After reading a couple write-ups I had ORE change my gears. I didn't think I would need to do it again. Now I am thinking about 37's.
You might need to buy or rent some tools. If you can do it there is potential to save a lot of cash for other mods. Maybe help a buddy save some too.

Last edited:

tonywjk

I agree with the pro route, I've done them in the past but i had all the necessary tools to do them, lift, press, air tools, etc... do it the right way for proper piece of mind

HLKSMSH

I agree with the ORE for the installation I will be making a trip out there once funds get back rite for a set of 5:13's.

Top Bottom