Weird sound from driver side wheel well

Dune Crawler

Heard it yesterday after coming back from the beach. It sounds like parts are moving to much like maybe the ball joint are giving out.
If it's the ball joints how do I check for to much ball joint play? What's considered to much play?

Life's a beach

tonywjk

lift the jeep as though you are taking the tire off. Grab the wheel, hands at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position, push/pull in and out and see if the wheel has an greater amount of play, also ask someone to do this for you as you look underneath, you cal also place your hands at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions as well to check for any additional give in the front end alignment

rodgerdathug

I didn't look at what year but I think there a recall for fender crap look it up for your jeep that could be any issue

tonywjk

me pt2, you'll know if there is too much play by looking and listening, the wheel should not move in or out, if there is movement then there is an issue, this is a quick way to isolate that area

JAGS

Hooked
Did you recently upgrade/change anything in the area of the noise?

Are you sure it is suspension or axle related? I'd think you'd notice a dif in handling if the ball joints or other suspension related issues.

Start with simple things like checking fender liner/fender isn't rubbing and/or loose and flapping.

- Jason

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Heard it yesterday after coming back from the beach. It sounds like parts are moving to much like maybe the ball joint are giving out.
If it's the ball joints how do I check for to much ball joint play? What's considered to much play?

Life's a beach

What kind of sound is it? Rubbing? Clicking? Knocking? Sure would help if you could be a little more specific.

Dune Crawler

Did you recently upgrade/change anything in the area of the noise?

Are you sure it is suspension or axle related? I'd think you'd notice a dif in handling if the ball joints or other suspension related issues.

Start with simple things like checking fender liner/fender isn't rubbing and/or loose and flapping.

- Jason

Drove it today and over bumps it would want to move to the left and then back to right. Not a death wobble feel but more like a jerking motion.
I haven't changed anything up front, but I did install a rear trackbar bracket the weekend prior.

Life's a beach

Dune Crawler

What kind of sway bar links are you running? When was the last time you checked the nuts/bolts for tightness?

It's easy to see why you have your own forum when your able to fix other peoples jeeps without even being there and off so little information! You were correct on the nut being loose on the swaybar link. Saved me a lot of time!
Thanks Eddie!

Life's a beach

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's easy to see why you have your own forum when your able to fix other peoples jeeps without even being there and off so little information! You were correct on the nut being loose on the swaybar link. Saved me a lot of time!
Thanks Eddie!

Life's a beach

LOL!! Glad to hear I was able to help out. :cool:

jrutrubi11

OP do you have factory swaybar links. I have a 11 jkur my noise is more of a thump when going over bumps and sometimes when turning hard

Top Bottom