Which shocks do you prefer?

It's finally time to upgrade the shocks that came with my lift. I would like some feedback from you guys on what you run? My two top choices are Bilstein 5100 and the Fox 2.0. I am going to buy a matching steering stabilizer as well. My Jeep spends 80% of its time on the pavement so comfort is important, but I also want them to perform well on the trail. Please let me know what yall think and why! Thanks!

liljohn850

It's finally time to upgrade the shocks that came with my lift. I would like some feedback from you guys on what you run? My two top choices are Bilstein 5100 and the Fox 2.0. I am going to buy a matching steering stabilizer as well. My Jeep spends 80% of its time on the pavement so comfort is important, but I also want them to perform well on the trail. Please let me know what yall think and why! Thanks!

ride quality is subjective. buying the matching stablizer is a waste of money. Shocks also depend on the springs youre running. I have the 3" Evo Plush rides matched up with the 5100's and wouldn't hate a little more "aggressive" shock.. but again, that's all subjective.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Rancho 9000 if you want to adjust your ride with the turn of a knob. I'm wanting these for our white jeep

ride quality is subjective. buying the matching stablizer is a waste of money. Shocks also depend on the springs youre running. I have the 3" Evo Plush rides matched up with the 5100's and wouldn't hate a little more "aggressive" shock.. but again, that's all subjective.

I have 3 inch teraflex springs. They feel fairly soft. Why do you think getting a new stabilizer is a waste of money? I have 50k on it and it has taken some trail damage.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have 3 inch teraflex springs. They feel fairly soft. Why do you think getting a new stabilizer is a waste of money? I have 50k on it and it has taken some trail damage.

just find a stock one in decent shape for cheap. mine was destroyed and i found a stock one off a 2013 with 500 miles on it for $15.

I have the Rancho RS9000 XL adjustable shocks and love them. If you go to the Rancho website you can see how the adjustments compare to a stock ride. I have mine paired with the EVO 3 inch Plush Ride coils and love the ride.

Again ride is very subjective.

R/
Will

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have 3 inch teraflex springs. They feel fairly soft.

Clearly, you have not ridden on any other 3" coil made as if you had, you'd know that what you're riding on is about as stiff and firm as they come. I absolutely hated the TF 3" I had. New shocks will not improve your ride quality. If anything, a good monotube like what you are looking at will make it ride harsher.

Why do you think getting a new stabilizer is a waste of money? I have 50k on it and it has taken some trail damage.

What he's saying is that anything less than a factory replacement or standard hydro stabilizer is a waste of money. Worse, getting a pressurized stabilizer like what Bilstein or Fox makes will cost a lot of money for no real benefit and it'll cause your Jeep to pull on the road.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

I think you are the first person I have ever heard call TF springs soft. Just goes to show how subjective ride is. Anyway, spending a lot of money on a SS is a waste. A properly set up suspension doesn't even need a steering stabilizer. The OEM one works just fine to control bump steer.

Clearly, you have not ridden on any other 3" coil made as if you had, you'd know that what you're riding on is about as stiff and firm as they come. I absolutely hated the TF 3" I had. New shocks will not improve your ride quality. If anything, a good monotube like what you are looking at will make it ride harsher.

What he's saying is that anything less than a factory replacement or standard hydro stabilizer is a waste of money. Worse, getting a pressurized stabilizer like what Bilstein or Fox makes will cost a lot of money for no real benefit and it'll cause your Jeep to pull on the road.

I rode in a JK with Rough Country springs and it definitely wasn't very comfortable. My last two Jeeps have been JK's but before that was a YJ which is probably why I think the Teraflex springs feel soft compared to how my YJ rode. Sounds like I should upgrade my coils as well. Eddie, what shocks do you recommmend? I see a lot of people here saying Rancho 9000. Thanks!

NV375

Rancho 9000 if you want to adjust your ride with the turn of a knob. I'm wanting these for our white jeep

I am happy with the 9000s on my JKUR. I have not run either of the ones the OP asked about.

Sent using the WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I rode in a JK with Rough Country springs and it definitely wasn't very comfortable. My last two Jeeps have been JK's but before that was a YJ which is probably why I think the Teraflex springs feel soft compared to how my YJ rode. Sounds like I should upgrade my coils as well. Eddie, what shocks do you recommmend? I see a lot of people here saying Rancho 9000. Thanks!

LOL!! Yeah, I have run RC coils and you're right, they are nothing to write home about and, compared to a set of leafs, I'm sure your TF coils feel pretty good. Of course, as others have mentioned, ride quality is subjective and to be fair, I personally just prefer a softer ride. :yup:

As far as shocks go, I have run a set of Rancho 9000 and liked them. The fact that you can dial in your ride quality is great but found that I wanted to change their setting anytime I went wheeling. Unless you have an in-cab controller, I found doing this to be a pain especially in the rear. Because of this, I personally prefer to run Rancho 7000 MT's over the 9000's and do on my XJ. Being a monotube shock, they perform well and really, a lot like a Bilstein 5100 only cheaper. Sure, you can't dial them in but for me, I prefer a good all around shock over an adjustable one.

Having said all that, both the Bilstein and Fox are good shocks and pared up with a good set of soft coils, I wouldn't have any complaints running either.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I have King shocks but threw a set of rancho 5000s on while they were being rebuilt. Have to say the ride on road was good. I'd wouldn't hesitate to go with a set of 7000s or 9000s.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Glad to hear the "get er done" shocks worked out. :beer:

I have King shocks but threw a set of rancho 5000s on while they were being rebuilt. Have to say the ride on road was good. I'd wouldn't hesitate to go with a set of 7000s or 9000s.

Jb4978

If you are still considering, I have run both Bilstein 5100's (AEV 3.5 lift) and Fox 2.0 w remote reservoirs (Teraflex 3".) The Fox setup has provided a far better ride than the Bilsteins. Don't know if the different springs made huge difference. On a side note, the Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer does created some pull, not bad around town but very noticeable at highway speeds. I have switched back and forth between the stock stabilizer and the Fox. Not much difference but the pull.

Last edited:
If you are still considering, I have run both Bilstein 5100's (AEV 3.5 lift) and Fox 2.0 w remote reservoirs (Teraflex 3".) The Fox setup has provided a far better ride than the Bilsteins. Don't know if the different springs made huge difference. On a side note, the Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer does created some pull, not bad around town but very noticeable at highway speeds. I have switched back and forth between the stock stabilizer and the Fox. Not much difference but the pull.

The TF tuned Fox shock is a nice riding shock. Id run those over 5100's all day.

Top Bottom