PSC Hydro Assist - doesn't feel like it's working anymore

jeeeep

Hooked
had a PSC hydro Assist with cooler installed last week, steering felt great at first, but after about 1600 miles it feels like manual steering when stationary.

If I'm moving (faster than 25mph) it seems ok but trying to steer in the driveway or backing out of a parking space it feels like manual steering.

I'm not near the shop that installed it, looking for info on what to check. Running 35's, thanks.

had a PSC hydro Assist with cooler installed last week, steering felt great at first, but after about 1600 miles it feels like manual steering when stationary.

If I'm moving (faster than 25mph) it seems ok but trying to steer in the driveway or backing out of a parking space it feels like manual steering.

I'm not near the shop that installed it, looking for info on what to check. Running 35's, thanks.

Is it making any noise at all?

GCM 2

Is it making any noise at all?

x2, this is the first sign of a bad steering pump.

Also;
1-Are you running the factory pump or is it the PSC pump included in their kit?

2- when the system is cold (at first start up) does it feel like the ram assist is working fine?

3- when the system finally has some heat built into, does the pump start to whine at all, but becomes quieter when more RPM's are applied, and does the steering become easier (moving or stationary) when you build RPM's?

Any of these signs or symptoms and it is only the power steering pump that has went out. Very easy to change, all you need are simple hand tools and a puller to remove the pulley on the pump. I have changed three of them on my ram assist over the last 5 years, the first was in the initial 400 miles, the second was within the next 5000 miles, and the third (still running it) has lasted 30,000+ miles. The pump I am running now is PSC's own version and not a remanufactured pump like the first two.

jeeeep

Hooked
it's a PSC pump

I'll pay closer attention between cold and once it's hot, like I mentioned, once I'm going I can turn it pretty easily but not once I've slowed

doesn't make any noise but I'll pay closer attention to it.

yes, it felt like a shudder and less fluid before it became more manual feeling

it's a PSC pump

I'll pay closer attention between cold and once it's hot, like I mentioned, once I'm going I can turn it pretty easily but not once I've slowed

Check all of your fittings, make sure they are tight and not sucking air into the system.

GCM 2

it's a PSC pump

As ridg3runner said, check the fittings. And you could also try bleeding the system, that is pretty easy to do;

- Remove the cap on the steering reservoir and make sure the fluid level is just above the fluid return line's point of entry where it dumps back into the reservoir (top fluid line on reservoir).

- Depending on which model reservoir you have the fluid level should be 1"-2'' from the actual top of the reservoir, or about 1/2"-1'' above the top of the fluid return line's point of entry on the reservoir (never fill the fluid to the top or you will create a huge overflow mess)

- Lift the front end far enough off the ground so both tires are not touching and they can be turned left to right (or lock to lock) by pulling/pushing on the tire.

- Again, with reservoir cap off, slowly cycle the steering lock to lock by pulling/pushing on one of your front tires.

- Do this four or five times from steering lock to steering lock. It will cycle any air in the system to the highest point of the closed circuit, which is the reservoir. Any air will simply bubble out of the fluid and out of the reservoir with out the cap.

- Finish by topping off the fluid to just above the return lines point of entry into the reservoir if the level has dropped.

If this doesn't help improve the symptoms at all, and you are noticing the ram assist needs more RPM and effort to turn your front wheels, you may actually need a new power steering pump.

One other tip: if you need to change your pump and you want to try doing this at home, remember the power steering system is gravity fed from the reservoir to the pump and will be very messy when you remove the fittings from the pump. To eliminate most of the mess get one of those big Kitchen Turkey Baster/Gravy squirter/Bulb Suction Syringe things. Use this to suck all the fluid out of your reservoir before loosening any fittings on the pump. In fact once the reservoir is dry, cycle the steering lock to lock to force as much fluid in the rest of the system back into the reservoir, then suction it out again. This will keep you from losing the entire contents of the fluid reservoir all over your engine, manifold, axle, belt and garage floor.

I have used this technique to change a pump in the parking lot of hotel without any mess and I only had one bottle of power steering fluid so I needed to save what I could.......so you could kind of say it is an authorized JK Experience technique for self recovery :icon_crazy:

I am GCM 2, and I approve this message

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have used this technique to change a pump in the parking lot of hotel without any mess and I only had one bottle of power steering fluid so I needed to save what I could.......so you could kind of say it is an authorized JK Experience technique for self recovery :icon_crazy:

I am GCM 2, and I approve this message

LOL!! That was in Indiana, right? Great tips BTW especially with the turkey baster.

As mentioned, check your fittings and if you see any leaks, you might have some air in the system. If not, it sure sounds like a pump issue especially being that it was working well and now it's not.

GCM 2

LOL!! That was in Indiana, right?

Nope, Silver Lake Lodge in Mich. I changed my pump the next morning after we ran the dunes, that is why I missed the follow-on wheeling at the Off Road Park (somewhere in Upstate Mich). I was waiting on the UPS guy to do the next day delivery from PSC. You guys left at the usual morning time for a typical JKX day and I waited until 11am for the truck to show up. I had everything disassembled and waiting to for the delivery guy to arrive. Once the pump showed up it was about 1/2hrs worth of work and I was on the road. Showed up just before we ate the BBQ supper at the Off Road Park :thumb:

Last edited:

GCM 2

So you drive around with a turkey baster?

I think the more accurate question is; Why are you not driving around with a turkey baster? In all seriousness, I had figured this technique out when I had to change my pump the first time at home and wanted to syphon the reservoir of its fluid before it poured out all over my garage floor. Surprisingly when I had to change the pump again in Michigan while on the road with the JKX, I still had the syringe in my "action packer" storage box of fluids.

It's next to the California dash duster.

No. No. No! You never keep the baster next to the duster! the California duster is always next to the Glock 19. You never your mix cleaning tools with your suction tools, that is just common sense.

jeeeep

Hooked
well, turns out there was air in the system, all is well again. I did buy a turkey baster, that's a good idea. thanks all

GCM 2

well, turns out there was air in the system, all is well again. I did buy a turkey baster, that's a good idea. thanks all

Nice!! Glad to hear that is all it was. But at least you are now ready for any future ram assist problems

Top Bottom