Front Bumper Style

jdfishing

I noticed in many of the pictures of Jeeps posted on the forum, they are equipped with front bumpers that have the extended or protruding U shaped bar. Do these serve a particular function or is it just personal preference? Is there a particular style of front bumper associated with certain types od 4 wheeling or is it again personal preference based mostly on style? Thanks, as I am a newbie feeling my way around.

GCM 2

It is known as a 'Stinger' and it does have a few specific proposes.

1) It provides protection when descending steep ledges and/or waterfalls when the jeep may have a tendency to nose dive and roll forward end over end and on to its roof. The Stinger (when moving at slow speeds) will force the jeep to roll to one side or the other and then on to its side.

2) In the same situation as above it also keeps the radiator from being crushed in a forward roll and thereby leaving the jeep dead on the trail

3) The Stinger also allows for a jeep to approach a ledge or water fall from below (the bottom side of the obstacle) and use the stinger as sort of a rock slider to help slide up the obstacle so the front tires can gain some traction.

Stingers are much more popular out west where the terrain is more conducive to using them

Edit: Take some time and introduce yourself properly in the "Give us a wave section" :thumb:

Last edited:

GCM 2

.....and a) it looks cool and b) helps with parking. :thumb:

Yes, and yes. These are both facts, and much like you I actually use my stinger every time I am out and about as a parking "distance gauge" of how close to pull up to other cars or walls at places like; the powerlifting gym, the chain saw store, Mixed Martial Arts fights, NRA conventions, tractor pull events, midnight runs to 24hr convenience stores in the worst parts of town, lumber yards, and any apocalyptic destruction scenario. Stingers= man stuff, just saying.........

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
As a bonus, nobody will cut you off in traffic or park in front of you at the grocery store.

Yes, and yes. These are both facts, and much like you I actually use my stinger every time I am out and about as a parking "distance gauge" of how close to pull up to other cars or walls at places like; the powerlifting gym, the chain saw store, Mixed Martial Arts fights, NRA conventions, tractor pull events, midnight runs to 24hr convenience stores in the worst parts of town, lumber yards, and any apocalyptic destruction scenario. Stingers= man stuff, just saying.........

You forgot the strip clubs. But I wouldn't know anything about those, the Mrs would surely remove MY stinger.

Top Bottom