Evo ProTek Skids, 14 JK and Teraflex spacers.

KingCopperhead

I have a 2014 JK 2 door. I plan to do RC next month and I'd like a little more peace of mind in case I get ballsy and I decide to do some rocks.

So far, all I have on the jeep is a 3" Mopar/Teraflex lift, 35"s Rubi rails, and a Poison Spyder Brawler Lite bumper.

I am considering the EVO protek system, but I'm reading mixed reviews as far as the clearance goes for the exhaust spacers that came with my lift to prevent driveshaft contact issues.

Perhaps I should hold off on the full kit until I can replace my drive shaft and opt for only the oil pan skid for now? This would free up some money to purchase a winch, or maybe some beefier diff covers or rock sliders. Those rubi rails don't look like they'll take a really big hit.

I'm likely only running blues. I'm not looking to get too crazy my first time out. More or less just trying to have my bases covered for my first trip where I might encounter rocks, and not get stuck with a broken jeep.

Thanks for any advice.

The evo cross member skid will not work with exhaust spacers, but that wouldn't keep you from being able to run the oil pan and transmission skids. If you have an auto I would recommend them.

RC blues are no big deal, but you will knock your belly some. Especially with a poor line.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

liljohn850

I have a 2014 JK 2 door. I plan to do RC next month and I'd like a little more peace of mind in case I get ballsy and I decide to do some rocks.

So far, all I have on the jeep is a 3" Mopar/Teraflex lift, 35"s Rubi rails, and a Poison Spyder Brawler Lite bumper.

I am considering the EVO protek system, but I'm reading mixed reviews as far as the clearance goes for the exhaust spacers that came with my lift to prevent driveshaft contact issues.

Perhaps I should hold off on the full kit until I can replace my drive shaft and opt for only the oil pan skid for now? This would free up some money to purchase a winch, or maybe some beefier diff covers or rock sliders. Those rubi rails don't look like they'll take a really big hit.

I'm likely only running blues. I'm not looking to get too crazy my first time out. More or less just trying to have my bases covered for my first trip where I might encounter rocks, and not get stuck with a broken jeep.

Thanks for any advice.

the stock skid system is sufficient, I think. And i've bounced off some gnarly shit. I'd get a winch... and the rubi sliders can take more than what most give them creit for

the stock skid system is sufficient, I think. And i've bounced off some gnarly shit. I'd get a winch... and the rubi sliders can take more than what most give them creit for

:thinking: There isn't a stock skid over the engine or transmission. If the tranny is a manual no real biggie, but the auto has an exposed line that is vulnerable. This said, the autos come with an exhaust loop and crossover skid that isn't present on manuals.

KingCopperhead

Driveshafts are in the works. But it's down the road. Figuring I can get a year or so out of the stock shaft. Should be fine for this outing, I've not taken the jeep off road yet but I checked my clearances on an RTI ramp and didn't have the drive shaft making any contact. Could be the limiting straps on my lift prevented it. Or I just didn't go far enough up the ramp.

It's a manual, ill have to get back under it and see what kind of lines are exposed underneath. But from the sounds of it the oil pan skid alone might be my best bet, along with a winch. Kind of wanted to wait on the winch and get something that will last a while. Don't plan on going alone and the folks I go with have winches. Trying to be self sufficient though.

Glad to hear the Rubi rails aren't that bad. Let's me focus on other areas.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkjurny

As said, the Rubi rails are pretty good. I have 35s and a 3" lift too. Rubi rails worked fine for me on the Rubicon.

Regarding the driveshaft, it will be the CV boot that will break with 3" of lift. If you see oil spatter near your transfer case, then that means you could have blown that boot while wheeling.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
A 2 door on 35s and blues will be fine. I ran that way and never hit much at all other than diffs before getting the protec system. It can work with the spacers but it will either sit on the skid or rattle like my setup did for a while. It doesn't make noise anymore for me however. I would not be worried, just pick your lines well and take your time.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

Thanks for any advice.

I did RC this past April in a JKU with 33s and only opted out of one blur trail obstacle. The Tj (still rocking 30/35 combo) and the 08 jk I went with were also rocking 33s and had no problem on any on the blue trails. Point being, as long as you know your limits you'll be fine with ur current set up. Have fun up there. :thumbup:

2014 JKUR

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Here is the two other jeeps I went with. The tj is on the obstacle I went around.

2014 JKUR

Attachments

• 1405608934453.jpg
    1405608934453.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 1405608992893.jpg
    1405608992893.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 88

KingCopperhead

Thanks for all the replies guys. Still haven't quite found my limits yet. Most of my wheeling has been on a stock TJ so I haven't hit anything huge yet. By the sounds of things it seems as though as long as I take my time I'll be safe with my current set up. I really appreciate all the great advice given here.

On the drive shaft topic: if I go with a coast/adams/jereel 1350 shaft, will it work if I upgrade my axle down the road? Will a 1350 give me clearance problems due to it being thicker, or should I shop for a 1310 instead. Might want 37/40"s in a few years and would rather buy once.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom