Clean up wiring

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Just wondering what everyone uses as far as power distribution blocks under the hood. I know a lot of people use a spod type panel, but really just looking for something to put under the hood. With my off road lights, CB, and now that I wired up an amp, would really like to tidy the wiring up in the engine bay.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You need to talk to gtony12 or do a search for him. He's got a really clean setup :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, darknight's setup is the other one I have seen that looks real sweet - great job :thumb:

Manvan

Who makes the battery terminal block in darkknight1999's pictures?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks guys :)

Those are an older style Stinger/Raptor. I've had quite a few people ask me about it. They're no longer made. I'm trying to see if I can get them made.

Sent from my NSA monitoring device... Using the WAYALIFE mobile app

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Just giving this thread a bump...I appreciate the photos that were posted and the comments. I was thinking of doing something similar to Gtonys setup, but after many long hours of thinking of ideas and lots of research, I came across a YouTube video (I will post a link if anyone is interested and if Eddie and the mods agree that it is ok to post...some of you may have already come across the video) that a guy posted where he used a salvage cherokee distribution box, rewired it and used it to run his accessories. I went with his idea and it will work great for me. I have it done other than mounting it and hooking everything up. I will post more pictures when I get the time to finish the install. The biggest thing that I like about is that it looks like it was meant to be under the hood, it doesn't look like an aftermarket add-on. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412128236.583275.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412128248.015780.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412128258.780800.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412128270.285679.jpg

Just giving this thread a bump...I appreciate the photos that were posted and the comments. I was thinking of doing something similar to Gtonys setup, but after many long hours of thinking of ideas and lots of research, I came across a YouTube video (I will post a link if anyone is interested and if Eddie and the mods agree that it is ok to post...some of you may have already come across the video) that a guy posted where he used a salvage cherokee distribution box, rewired it and used it to run his accessories. I went with his idea and it will work great for me. I have it done other than mounting it and hooking everything up. I will post more pictures when I get the time to finish the install. The biggest thing that I like about is that it looks like it was meant to be under the hood, it doesn't look like an aftermarket add-on. View attachment 103189 View attachment 103190 View attachment 103191 View attachment 103192

Did you use cat5/6 wire for that? Because that black wire looks like a patch cord and I can tell from the twist in the red wires that those are also a similar wire. I'm a telecom engineer ;)

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Did you use cat5/6 wire for that? Because that black wire looks like a patch cord and I can tell from the twist in the red wires that those are also a similar wire. I'm a telecom engineer ;)

Haha...trust me, this was a budget build project. The cable you see is definitely a CAT6 Ethernet cable from my PS3 that I never used. The CAT6 will run from my switches to the relays. I just cut the ends off, stripped the insulation back, and put female spades on the individual wires.

Haha...trust me, this was a budget build project. The cable you see is definitely a CAT6 Ethernet cable from my PS3 that I never used. The CAT6 will run from my switches to the relays. I just cut the ends off, stripped the insulation back, and put female spades on the individual wires.

If you run power over that it's going to melt... Soooo you might want to swap that out ;) even if you did it they way I did switching just the grounds, those little wires won't be able handle it. Definitely don't run power over those... you'll end burning your jeep down.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
If you run power over that it's going to melt... Soooo you might want to swap that out ;) even if you did it they way I did switching just the grounds, those little wires won't be able handle it. Definitely don't run power over those... you'll end burning your jeep down.

The CAT6 wires are only trigger wires for the relays. They will not carry a load. I have 14ga wire running to the load side of the relays. I'm gonna test it and see how it works out. My KC lights will be the first accessory to be hooked up. My plan is to get everything wired up, leave the KC lights on for a while and check everything over for heat and make sure nothing melts down. Fire extinguisher handy.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Here something I put together

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1412134577356.jpg
    1412134577356.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 151
  • 1412134615382.jpg
    1412134615382.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 155
The CAT6 wires are only trigger wires for the relays. They will not carry a load. I have 14ga wire running to the load side of the relays. I'm gonna test it and see how it works out. My KC lights will be the first accessory to be hooked up. My plan is to get everything wired up, leave the KC lights on for a while and check everything over for heat and make sure nothing melts down. Fire extinguisher handy.

You do realize of course your going to be pushing 12v and whatever amps through wires designed to carry computer information packets.... I bet if you did some research you'd find that none and I mean zero wiring in a jeep that's less than 18 gauge... Cat 6 cable is normally 22 gauge... Seriously man you gotta change that out.

There is a reason why we all use 16-12 gauge wiring. Did you take into consideration the load on the wire? Did you do the math?

Last edited:

Rebel JK

With Darkknight on this one. what size fuse are you protecting that cat 6 with? Not positive but isnt that around 18-22 guage wire?

With Darkknight on this one. what size fuse are you protecting that cat 6 with? Not positive but isnt that around 18-22 guage wire?

Cat 6 is 22 gauge. Even thermostat wire is 18 gauge.

He really needs to just try and run 12 volts through it... Just put it to the battery and hook it up to power the relay for the lights... The wire is just going to melt.

pvanweelden

That wire will burn up before blowing a fuse. Even though it is not on the load side, there is still current going through it. What gauge is supplying the 12 volt to the switches? I understand this 22 ga is from the switches to the relays, but it is not enough. Minimum 18 ga

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I run 12g to 14g for all offroad lights. Maybe to some its over kill. If your pulling all that wire thru your jeep and decide to use wire for another accessories then you dont have to pull new wire because it to small. If that makes any sense

I run 12g to 14g for all offroad lights. Maybe to some its over kill. If your pulling all that wire thru your jeep and decide to use wire for another accessories then you dont have to pull new wire because it to small. If that makes any sense

16-12 gauge is really what you want, but that should be based on the load. With your 14-12 gauge your good :)

pvanweelden

I am referring to the non load side (from switches to the relays) minimum 18 gauge. Output from relays (relay to lights, etc) 12-16 gauge depending on length of wire needed and current through the circuit.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom