The 2017 Jeep JL Wrangler Suspension

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just read an article on AllPar in which they asked consulting engineer Bob Sheaves what he thinks the new 2017 Jeep Wrangler's suspension will be like and here is his response...

The '17 Wrangler New Suspension
2017-jeep-wrangler.jpg

Given rumors that the next-generation Jeep Wrangler will drop its solid-axle suspension, several Allpar members asked consulting engineer Bob Sheaves what Chrysler’s most likely options were. He responded:

1. Hire or contract with Evan Boberg and me to update the Li’l Blue design. This is unlikely and probably would have taken place already, if it were to happen at all.
2. Hire an outside consulting firm with military experience, such as Meritor Defense, AM General, Oshkosh Defense, FEG, or Rod Millen. This is unlikely.
3. Use internal resources and try to adapt the existing Ram truck 4×4 design, or further develop the Li’l Blue design. This is the most likely option.​

The challenge for Jeep is making a new Wrangler which is:

• similar in price to the current model
• the premier off-road vehicle in its price range
• more capable and comfortable on-road
• more fuel efficient.​

Many observers have noted that the company could do this by using expensive alternative materials, eight-speed automatics, diesel engines, and such, rumors still target a move from solid axles to reduce unsprung weight, the biggest change since CJ became Wrangler under AMC. The challenge is creating a reliable, sturdy system with at least as much ground clearance as the current solid-axle design — and as much suspension articulation — without going overboard on cost.

Bob Sheaves, Evan Boberg, and Gerry Hentschel addressed these issues with their innovative Li’l Blue mule; Mr. Sheaves suggested another option, the in-between setup of Ram 4×4 pickups. While the Ram independent front suspension may not be optimized to the technical level required by the new Wrangler, the cost penalties of the Li’l Blue suspension may be too high (and current Jeep engineers might not be able to adapt it). The Ram setup would, at least, be rugged.

The days of the easily-modified Wrangler are probably numbered, unless the company keeps making the old model somewhere as a niche option — which seems unlikely at best, despite all those empty buildings in Michigan and Italy, or the precedent of making older models in Russia, India, and China. Whether that matters is a subject for (intense and never-ending) debate.

Jeep can’t afford to blow this one. The success of the Jeep brand is hinged mainly on the off-road prowess of the Wrangler Rubicon. As the company makes seas of front wheel drive Cherokees and Renegades, the badge remains backed by the faith and credit of Wrangler.

See the full article on AllPar here:
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2014/07/creating-the-17-wrangler

For those of you unfamiliar with Lil' Blue, here is a link that will help you out:

Li’l Blue: The Independent Suspension that would have been the TJ Wrangler

sean.m.adams33

I think jeep has a big enough following that no matter what they do to the wrangler suspension people will continue to purchase and modify them. Just like the guys who already swap in independent suspension on their rigs now, guys will rip it out and throw back in solid axles if they go that route. It will open up a new era of ideas possibly....

StrizzyChris

I think jeep has a big enough following that no matter what they do to the wrangler suspension people will continue to purchase and modify them.

I really dont agree. The wrangler is THE most quintessential (stock) offroad vehicle in the world and the lifeblood of Jeep's true loyal fallowing. The Cherokee used to have this same loyalty and many people have jumped ship after many of the changes have taken place. They really could shit the bed on this and watch their decades of loyal fallower vanish and only seak old/used wranglers like the FJ fallowing.

Just like the guys who already swap in independent suspension on their rigs now, guys will rip it out and throw back in solid axles if they go that route. It will open up a new era of ideas possibly....

To be fair, I'd venture to guess that's less than 1% of all sales that are willing or could afford to do axle swaps and complete suspension redesign. Look at how few do solid axle upgrades let alone complete swap from IFS to solid. It's just too costly!

The only way I can see this happen, and for the wrangler to stay true to its core off roaders roots, is to creat an IFS with A-arms that are almost touching in the middle of the axle to afford large travel. I think I read somewhere the mention of a possible "floating differential" to allow for large travel and not bind the CV joints. If they could at least do that, then the aftermarket would have something to work with.

Omar Brannstrom

. The wrangler is THE most quintessential (stock) offroad vehicle in the world

Howdy from Sweden

Do agree but very close is the Landrover Defender but it lacks lockers and the swaybar thing from factory. But Defender has better ground clearance and better brake over and departure angles and permanent 4x4 with oppen or closed diff. Defender is much sturdier build and have axles similar to Dana 60 and have about 2.5 times the payload a Wrangler has. Worldwide the current Defender and next one will compete against current Wrangler and the next one.

For me the Wrangler won due to cost and features, but I think the Defender looks tougher and more military with its more boxy look, more a real man vehicle. I would like to have the Defender exterior and Wrangler interior exept the chrome things. I dont rockcrawl but like "overlanding" so the Defender would be a better option but I dont like diesel or stick and the strange driving position a Defender has. I have driven booth Diesel wrangler and Defender, like driving a slow noisy tractor, not for me.

Look at the groundclearance, and the small overhangs.

Land-Rover-classic-Defender-11.jpg

upt504.jpg

4efb7a6409b60276300013f0.jpg

jeep-wrangler-2010-land-rover-defender-2007-205698-800.jpg

From the Swedish Landrover dealer, a 2014 Landrover Defender 110, looks awesome

1061365584.jpg

The rear cargo area is huge and is meant to be walked in to and sit and for instance have table there and some chairs and eating there if it rains.

1012505498.jpg

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

I ALMOST mentioned the Landrover in my last comment, but due to the astronomical cost associated with a capable LR I felt they were not even in the same rhelm of clientel. Not only that, but as you mentioned it is still not as capable as a Rubicon off the showroom floor. I will agree with the approach angle being , and the break over angle, being better in the LR but it appears the departure angle is about the same.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Howdy from Sweden

Do agree but very close is the Landrover Defender but it lacks lockers and the swaybar thing from factory. But Defender has better ground clearance and better brake over and departure angles and permanent 4x4 with oppen or closed diff. Defender is much sturdier build and have axles similar to Dana 60 and have about 2.5 times the payload a Wrangler has. Worldwide the current Defender and next one will compete against current Wrangler and the next one.

For me the Wrangler won due to cost and features, but I think the Defender looks tougher and more military with its more boxy look, more a real man vehicle. I would like to have the Defender exterior and Wrangler interior exept the chrome things. I dont rockcrawl but like "overlanding" so the Defender would be a better option but I dont like diesel or stick and the strange driving position a Defender has. I have driven booth Diesel wrangler and Defender, like driving a slow noisy tractor, not for me.

Look at the groundclearance, and the small overhangs.

Land-Rover-classic-Defender-11.jpg

upt504.jpg

4efb7a6409b60276300013f0.jpg

jeep-wrangler-2010-land-rover-defender-2007-205698-800.jpg

From the Swedish Landrover dealer, a 2014 Landrover Defender 110, looks awesome

1061365584.jpg

The rear cargo area is huge and is meant to be walked in to and sit and for instance have table there and some chairs and eating there if it rains.

1012505498.jpg

I love the Defender. Unfortunately you can no longer buy them in the states (but you will be able to with the new defender). The challenge for jeep is that there is a $20k price chasm to bridge with LR from a cost perspective. Even then, you lose the easy to mod capabilities of the current model. The defender was axed in the states due to its inability to meet airbag standards. I would conjecture that if the market for it was stronger, they would have installed airbags. Defender interiors have also been too spartan for what I THINK jeep wants to target (and even land rover) Wrangler interiors have gotten more luxurious and sales have increased consummately. I believe the suspension for this reason will need to be softened to appeal to more soccer moms. I remember the day when a nice Range Rover was rare. As LR has moved from aluminum body on steel chassis to unibody and full independent air suspension their sales have gone up. As the grand cherokee continues to soften their ride characteristics their sales go up. Using our very niche group as the standard for all jeep owners is not representative of most jeep sales and won't translate well to approval in the Chrysler boardroom. On the flip side the ability to modify is still appealing to many IMO and shouldn't be discounted completely. Fact of the matter is that you can lift and mod IFS. People do it all the time. To do that and maintain our current capability is a different story. When a 2017 IFS/IRS suspension is finally announced, Snatch up a 2016 and enjoy the last bits of an era and icon.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I don't think there's much to worry about. Marchionne said recently the Wrangler is staying body on frame. Also look at the lift kits and new axles no pat released this year as aftermarket. I doubt they wouldn't make that stuff future-proof.

BlackBandit

Oh well we can still buy old jeeps and cherish them and tell the tale of the jeeps before dodge turned them into cityoit cars :(

Top Bottom