Loud static noise at highway speed

squigmang

Recently when on the highway, at roughly 60mph I start to get a loud static noise coming from my passenger side. It dosnt seem to be coming from the stereo and is not affected by turning up or down volume, or input selected.
I dont know if it is some type of wind noise or what.
I have a 50" light bar but i have had this for 6 months before the noise started, any ideas??

Try reseating your hard/soft top.

Try putting some duct tape over the seam to isolate where the noise might be coming from. I have wind noise from my TrexTop NX.

jeeeep

Hooked
Does it continue with your radio off? Do you have a CB radio?
Check your brakes, make sure the wear clip didn't slip off and is rubbing on the brake disk.
Also check your hub bearings.
Or you may have a rock stuck in your brake.

squigmang

Check the cables in your battery and make sure, the battery is tight

Cleaned and tightened terminals last eve, problem still exists this morning

Does it continue with your radio off? Do you have a CB radio?
Check your brakes, make sure the wear clip didn't slip off and is rubbing on the brake disk.
Also check your hub bearings.
Or you may have a rock stuck in your brake.

It does contiue with radio off, no CB.
It isnt a brake noise of bearing. it is like a crackling speaker noise.
Thanks for your ideas though.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Have you tried playing the radio on each speaker individually? I know you said it continues with the radio off, just thinking that IF its a bad speaker then you MIGHT catch it that way. Idea behind my thinking is that in the off chance it's bad and drawing power even when off it might be making noises when on also. Somebody with more electrical knowledge feel free to correct me. Just seen electronics do weird stuff especially in jeeps once they have gotten wet.

jeeeep

Hooked
if you can still hear it through the speakers with the radio off.... do you have anything wired to an ignition switched wire?

if so, check that connection and it's ground. usually this type of radio feed is a bad ground from another accessory. double check your light bar grounds - check for any rust or broken ground wire from it.

you might try disconnecting the light bar and see if the static goes away

Capita

You need to bridge all of the cooling fins on the 50" light bar. I just used silicone between each one.

Only needs to be a small bead in between each fin to stop the harmonic vibe. Don't silicone the whole bar haha.

Last edited:

squigmang

You need to bridge all of the cooling fins on the 50" light bar. I just used silicone between each one.

Only needs to be a small bead in between each fin to stop the harmonic vibe. Don't silicone the whole bar haha.

hey there, thanks for the reply. I did put 1/4 inch tubing between the fins shortly after i bought it. I did have the harmonic sound, but this is something different.
Update, I unhooked the speakers and it is still there. It tends to be much worse when it is windy out, when a gust of wind hits the jeep on the highway, it gets very loud.

xkid

I have heard something like that. Its kind of a buzzing sound. I was thinking it was from the speaker also. Haven't heard it for a week or two.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom